pwSafe - Password Safe compatible Password Manager
By App 77 Informatica e Servicos LTDA
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Feature-complete password management. Syncs with iPhone and iPad app using iCloud. Autofills in Safari. One-time purchase.
** Featured by Mac|Life as one the 20 Great Apps under $20 - http://j.mp/pwSafeMacLife
Simple & secure password management across devices and computers. pwSafe uses iCloud to keep your password databases backed-up and synced between Macs and iOS devices. It is compatible with open source Password Safe.
This application is not related to any application developed and/or marketed by PSafe Tecnologia S/A, including PSafe Total.
List of features:
- iCloud sync, realtime and bi-directional
- Generates strong passwords
- Print a hardcopy of your data for ultimate security agains data loss
- Copy password with Command + C or P
- Copy username with Command + U
- Copy password and open website with Command + Option + S
- Double-click to easily copy password
- Lots of other hotkeys (see menus)
- Password history (per safe and per entry settings)
- Fully compatible with pwSafe for iOS and the famous Password Safe version 3.3.2
- Search in all fields (Command + F for faster access)
- Organize entries in groups
- Multiple fields (title, username, password, URL, email and notes)
- Full unicode support
- Multiple safes
- Unlimited passwords
- Unlimited password groups
- Syncs with iOS devices and many types of computers with Dropbox (requires Dropbox app)
- Syncs with many types of computers via other cloud storage services
- 256-bit encryption
- Fully secure app behavior:
- Clears password from pasteboard after a timeout period, when the computer sleeps or when the app exits (fully configurable).
- Locks safe when the app exits.
- Password is marked with all kinds of "non-persist" flags, so that pasteboard managers don't save or remember it.
Instead of trusting on a single developer security knowledge, pwSafe borrows all its encryption code directly from the famous Password Safe open source password manager (http://passwordsafe.sourceforge.net/).
Password Safe has been originally created by security guru Bruce Schneier and nowadays is maintained by Rony Shapiro. Since it has been around as an open source project for almost a decade now, it has been extensively reviewed by many experts.
What's New in Version 4.6
• Handoff support
• Proper handling of existing aliases and shortcuts
• CMD + F to search works again
• Annoying dock icon bouncing when safe locks
• Visual artifact (horizontal line) on recently opened safes
• Crashes after closing a safe
• Rare deadlock on launch
=== Don't update if running OS X Mavericks (10.9.x) ===
(Please contact support if you did, developers can't reply to reviews.)
Would you mind taking an extra moment and rating pwSafe, even if you've already done that? Apps live and die by their App Store ratings, and these are reset on every single update. Thanks!
Long view of this App
I have been using this app for a number of years (probably pushing 7 or 8 but possibly longer), beginning with a Windows/Intel platform. I selected it because my employer at the time (an extremely IP and security-conscious top 50 global company) recommended it, but also because it supported Macs. Although I initially copied its file to my other platforms, I soon moved to a cloud-based implementation for use with Apple’s products (iPhones, iPads, Macs). I no longer use Windows, but I had no issues with the app when my employer converted from WinXT to Win7.
Net-net: Reliability has been extremely good; portability via a cloud delivery has been flawless. Usability has been very good. I cannot comment on its integration with other apps as I don’t use these aspects.
Works across OSX, iOS
We share a single Password Safe across 2 iPhones, an iPad, and 2 MacBook Pros via iCloud. It has worked flawlessly without incident for about 2 years. It syncs unobtrusively in the background. The user interface is still a bit clunky and homely. The main function buttons are along the bottom of the UI and not obvious, but easily learned. It works as advertised.
A solid and secure password management app!
I’ve been a long time user of the popular Password Safe and required seamless compatibility in a OS X application. I’ve used pwSafe on my MacBook Pro for over a year and it has been reliable and a joy to work with. I recommend to anyone looking for a straightforward and secure password manager.