Qixel HD is an iPad and iPhone app that makes it super-easy for designers, pixel-lovers and retro gamers to make stylised 'qixel art' and export their designs to iPad, iPhone, email and Twitter.
Qixel is a live art project that encourages people to share their designs on the Qixel Facebook Gallery: facebook.com/qixelgallery
What can you make with 651 pixels?
Creating minimalist images, retro characters and typography with a limited number of qixels and colour palette. Make art or just use it to chill out - it's the digital equivalent of popping bubblewrap!
We look forward to see what people do with it. There are some suggestions below to get you started, but it's your software to play with. I look forward to seeing your artwork on the Facebook Qixel gallery!
Here's what you can do with Qixel:
- Draw pictures with 4 different pixel types: Squares, Circles, Diamonds and Triangles.
- The canvas background button flips between black or white. This has a very different effect on your qixels.
- Use the darken and lighten buttons to add shade and depth to your art.
- The triangle setting has an extra button: Rotation. Try rotating your triangles 90 degrees to make strange patterns and origami-style art.
- Use Qixel to make quirky typography.
- Write simple messages and greeting cards to send to friends.
- Make cool patterns and abstract backgrounds for websites.
- Create retro game graphics, and then export frames in stages to make animation.
- experiment with colour: great for artists and colour therapy teachers.
- Qixel HD will ask you to permission to access your photos. Clicking 'OK' will allow you to save high res PNG files to your device's Camera Roll.
- The Photo button saves a high-res PNG screenshot to your iPad's camera roll.
If there is a problem, it will be due to your iOS device's restrictions. Go to Settings >
General > Restrictions > Privacy > Photos > Switch Qixel on!
Note from the developer:
If this app proves to be useful and popular, I will update it. If you have ideas for functionality - please leave feedback on the Appstore to encourage me to update the app!
Enjoy your qixels :)
- 2 new colours added (flesh colour and lime green)
- Improved interface with clearer buttons
- Added high-res PNG export
- New app icon
- removed Facebook integration
- Removed sound effects
- now a universal iOS app
Ratings and Reviews
Great for my needs, but could use more features
I use this tool to design countertops and cutting boards. It’s very slick. So much faster than paper and pencil.
Just wish there was a better way to save and edit previous pics
So good you can do cool stufffff!!!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.