QuakeWatch - Latest Earthquakes Info
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
•• A #1 News app in over 40 countries so far including the US, UK, and Canada.
•• An App Store Top 100 app in over 30 countries so far including the US and Canada.
•• Rated an “Essential App” by AppAdvice.
•• Written-up in USA Today.
•• Shown and discussed on CNN Newsroom.
QuakeWatch has been the most popular paid earthquake app in the App Store for over 4 years now -- used by schools, relief agencies, media outlets, and thousands of people around the world curious about earthquakes near to them, family, or friends.
It has reached the App Store Top 100, and #1 in News, multiple times.
It is a feature-rich reference guide to the latest magnitude 1.0 and larger earthquakes from around the world as provided by nine worldwide sources including the US Geological Survey and the European-Mediterranean Seismological Centre. Find out when they happened, where they happened, how big they were, and more. All in an easy-to-use interface!
The key features of QuakeWatch include:
• An interactive world map view with tectonic plates showing reported earthquakes over the past week. Pan and zoom the map to focus on hot spots and click the details button to see the quake report. Also the ability to replay the earthquakes in order.
• Sort the listing by the most recent earthquakes.
• Sort by the largest earthquakes over the past week.
• Sort by the closest earthquakes to your location and see the distance and direction from your position.
• Sort by earthquakes nearest to a place anywhere on the earth that you easily specify. Great for tracking quakes near family members. Shows the distance and bearing from them.
• Choose from reporting services in the US, Europe, Canada, Mexico, UK, Australia, New Zealand, Germany, and Italy.
• Select the tsunami icon in the toolbar for quick access to the latest tsunami information for the Pacific, US West Coast & Alaska, Australia, and Japan.
• Send earthquake information to yourself or others through email, Twitter, Facebook, or SMS text messaging. (iOS 6 and greater.)
• Filter out smaller earthquakes from the list by setting the minimum shown to be between 1.0 and 6.0.
• Select an earthquake from the list to view more information along with a live map of its location and the ability to show nearby earthquakes.
• Selecting the blue additional details button will take you to the reporting web site integrated into the application for more information about the earthquake which may include distances from cities, historical maps, shake maps, etc., and then easily return to the list.
• Universal app - supports the iPad, iPhone (including iPhone 5), and iPod touch.
• iPod touch and iPad WiFi users can manually specify their current location if greater accuracy is needed. (A popular request.)
• The ability to define local earthquakes within a radius of your location. Then sort by "Closest" to see all local earthquakes sorted by distance or the most recent.
• Earthquakes within the last 2 hours and within your local range are colored blue for quick identification.
• All times are shown in your time zone.
• No banner ads.
What's New in Version 3.3
Updates to several earthquake feeds.
Updated for iOS 7.
I have to say after trying about 15 earthquake apps, i have found this one to be the easiest and nicest to use. The data is presented very well on the list page and the fonts are readable. Also the map is reasonably well done.
Please note that this app does not have push notices!!
I do wish the tsunami page was done like the earthquake data rather than a link to a web page so i will hope that is being worked on to improve.
Over all, a good app that i hope keeps getting better. Push notices is one of the services this app is missing.
An Elegant Presentation
This is the best by far of several earthquake apps I've tried. Even more clear and speedy than the USGS site whose data this uses. Highly recommend! The latest update is terrific!
The Best earthquake app out there
It allows tracking of earthquakes all over the world, and not just through USGS. It provides a better overall view of our world.
- Category: News
- Updated: May 16, 2014
- Version: 3.3
- Size: 22.5 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Terence Worley
- © 2009-2014 Terence Worley
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.1.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.