Design on the Go with Quark DesignPad
Design on your iPad wherever you are with DesignPad, the iPad app that puts grid-based design control in the palm of your hand. No need to own InDesign or QuarkXPress.
Using an entirely new approach to design, you can quickly experiment with different layouts concepts and create anything such as a poster, postcard, advertisement, invitation, brochure, business card or newsletter right on your iPad — then share it on Twitter, Facebook, by email, print it or – if you have it available – further develop it in QuarkXPress.
Pro Feature Pack
Unlock the new Pro Feature Pack and gain access to professional output and new sharing capabilities. Save and share print-quality PDFs or save PNG and Adobe PDF versions to DropBox for immediate access anywhere or directly print out your design via the new AirPrint support.
Bring your creativity to life!
With DesignPad you can:
• Create stunning designs in minutes, in a meeting or on the go, directly on your iPad
• Develop concepts interactively and share them instantly with your colleagues, clients and friends
• For ultimate control, turn your DesignPad layout into a completed design by opening it in QuarkXPress* — our award-winning premier professional design and layout software
Professional power and ease of use:
• Choose from grid-based pre-defined layout types such as posters, brochures and advertisements, create your own customized size and layout combinations or start from scratch with a blank document
• Designate US or international document sizes with selectable units of measure
• Let the iPad do the hard work with the randomize layouts button
• Use easy slider controls to adjust all aspects of your layout grid or input exact values
• Customize the number of columns and rows, text and picture areas, caption positions and more
• Save custom layouts for future reuse
• Control box-level text attributes including: font, size, outline, color, and inset position
• Control color and opacity on boxes and frames
• Insert your pictures directly from your iPad, including Photo Stream photos, or choose from the free stock photos provided*
• Easily create unique shapes such as boxes with rounded corners, speech bubbles, stars, polygons, ovals and more
• Position, crop and resize pictures with a swipe and a pinch or use the nudge control for precise positioning including rotation
• Add background images as well as floating text and image boxes
• Copy and paste text directly into your layout
• Turn guides on and off
• Tweet, post to Facebook or email your layout to clients directly from your iPad
• Open your layout in QuarkXPress to polish your design
• PDF export (Pro Feature Pack only)
• Use a third party tool to convert PDFs into editable Adobe InDesign documents
• Dropbox support (Pro Feature Pack only)
• AirPrint support (Pro Feature Pack only)
• Shadow colors
• New wave shapes for boxes opens up thousands of possibilities (Pro Feature Pack only)
• Remove watermarks (Pro Feature Pack only)
• Nudge controls for precise placement
• Slider stabilization technology
• Dynamic grids that let you change grid parameters on live documents (fluid layouts) (Pro Feature Pack only)
• Stroked text
—Bug fixes and maintenance
Ratings and Reviews
A good start.
Other than Apple Pages, I am unaware of any page layout apps for iPad. I have used the desktop version of QuarkXPress since 1990, as well as all the other professional page layout applications, and Quark is my favorite. Though the iPad is capable of more than this app allows, this app is a nice and simplified implementation of the desktop version.
The export ("Sharing") options are extremely limited and, frankly, disappointing, offering only either to email a PNG of your layout or a Quark document (sans placed images) hosted by Quark and downloadable via an emailed link. I'm not sure why PDF export is not an option, or why the devs elected to hosting documents rather than allowing a direct wifi sync to a generated Quark document, or why you can't save the PNG to the iPad's photo library. My guess is the devs don't want this app to complete with or replace the desktop version, but whatever the reason, it isn't the iPad that is stopping this app from functioning with most of the desktop application's functionality.
The app is free, but I'd personally rather pay a premium ($30 or more) for this app to offer more of the power and functionality of the desktop version. As it stands, this app is an accessory to the desktop version of QuarkXPress... to sketch layout ideas and create a starting point, but I know it could be so much more.
Not Perfect But It Works!
I've tried a half dozen page layout apps in the past week or so and, while this one is not perfect, it's hands-down the best I've found. I needed it to do a newsletter while away from home and all I had with me was my 3rd generation iPad. I thought the UI was confusing until I read the user's manual (included); you know, when all else fails, read the instructions. Anyway, I found it easiest to just delete all the preset formatting on the page and simply add my own text and graphics boxes wherever I wanted. Of course, I paid the extra fee to enable PDF file sharing and a few other features. Importing photos and clip art into my page is a snap. What I think this app desperately needs is better font management (not able to mix font sizes and styles within a given box) and no text streaming from one box to another. Other than a few shortcomings, the app has been a pleasure to use, especially after trying some of the other apps available.
Best on the go design tool. Not sure why there are all the negative reviews...
To start, this app is much much better than the average rating of 1 1/2 stars. Don't forget that you are working on an iPad. It is not going to be what you are used to keyboard and mouse style.
I have the $10 IAP paid version which was very much worth it in my opinion. I have made basic business cards and flyers on the go with DesignPad. Paired with Adobe's PS Touch it truly is a great tool. The font options, the ease of scaling graphics, the built in images (though not the best, but still great in a bind or time restrained job), and the over all ease of use seem to be overlooked or judged incorrectly.
I have never had the app crash. Exporting PDFs to Dropbox works great. I am using an iPad 4 and have no performance complaints. In fact, I honestly have no complaints what so ever. I do not see this as a replacement to my desktop setup that I use at work for graphic design. I see this app as the only viable solution on the App Store for any on the go brainstorming or for a job that squires minimal resources.
All in all, the $10 upgrade is worth it. The app does perform well and is by far the best mobile solution out there. I wrote this review because I do not feel this app deserves the rating that it has. Hopefully this is helpful to anyone interested.
- Quark Inc.
- 31.3 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- English, French, German, Italian, Korean, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2018 Quark Software Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Pro Feature Pack $9.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.