Quartz's news app puts the entire global economy in your pocket. It's an ongoing conversation about the news, sort of like texting. We'll send you messages, photos, GIFs, links, and—our newest treat—3D objects that you can view in augmented reality.
You decide when you're interested in learning more about a news item. Each session lasts just a few minutes, so it's perfect for the train, elevator, grocery store line, or wherever you have a spare moment. And here's the secret about our little news bot: It's written by humans! Smart journalists who just want to keep you informed and entertained.
We're proud to have been named an Apple editors' choice and one of the 10 best iPhone apps of 2016. Some other accolades we're not exactly bashful about:
• GQ's 100 best things in the world right now
• Fast Company's 8 must-download apps for your new iPhone
• CNET's favorite apps of 2016
• Business Insider's best iPhone apps of 2016
• OK, we'll stop now :)
The app is really simple to use. Here are some other features:
• Experience the news in AR. When telling you about an interesting object that's in the news, we may invite you view a 3D model of it right there in front of you.
• Notifications that are relevant and fun. You decide which alerts to receive, and we won't buzz your phone unless it's really, really important.
• Sometimes our notifications also come with photos, charts, animated GIFs, or other media attached to them. Pretty crazy.
• Take a 24-hour break from news about the US president with Trump Snooze.
• On the Today screen, view our most interesting chart of the moment.
• Apple Watch owners, gauge the markets with an emoji on your watch face.
• No more news? Relax. We'll give you a quiz or something else to do.
This app is a new way to read the news that's really made for your phone. We hope you like it. Let us know what you think at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks!
We are ready for iOS 12 with interactive notifications, Siri Shortcuts, and improvements to augmented reality using ARKit 2.0. Go crazy, folks.
Ratings and Reviews
For those of us who spend half our day texting comes a creative new way to stay informed. Every time you open Quartz, you get the news—political, pop-culture, and more—in a series of short messages. Tap on links or emoji to jump to the full story, or use a pre-written reply to get the next entertaining summary. Using Quartz feels like a fun conversation with a well-read friend—complete with GIFs, images, and snarky comments.
This is my preferred method of current event consumption
I love this app! Rather than having tl;dr guilt, as I do for not clicking headlines from other sources, I know these articles are short and too the point, but usually with several links to the larger articles and other infos to click on if I do want to dig deeper. This app should be a blueprint for any future news apps, it’s the future of news consumption imho. Although, if I could add a feature I’d like it to use some sort of learning algorithm to figure out what i find to be less interesting and I find to be most important. I don’t necessarily want to tell the app this, but maybe have it just figure it out by what I don’t read, and how often I read further in to things I do read. I expect this to be the case, but I still get a lot of frivolous articles popping up that I rarely read. I’d still like to know what I’m missing though, if it did filter something, so maybe a section to see what is left out if I want to look at it. That said, the apps is amazing! Dare I say the future of news consumption!
Just enough & fun format!
I found Quest as a free app for the day and thought I’d try it & glad I did! I don’t like the sensationalism of tv news & don’t read much news mostly by radio during my commute. This app makes it fun to read in a texting format with emoticons that are related to the news piece as though a friend is texting you. I get a chance to learn more or pass and ask for something else. I like that! I’d give it 5 stars if: it was using my time zone (I checked at 5:30 and it said good afternoon?) and it gave me more news when ever I was bored. It seemed to limit to a few checks a day, telling me to come back later. Otherwise I like the mix of world news, odd news, and non political news. Seems just right. I wonder if they are tailoring my news based on how often I pass on a type of news. Oh! Almost forgot. The snooze button for no #54 news is just awesome!
- Quartz Media LLC
- 42.9 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- © 2017 Quartz Media LLC
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.