Stop looking for the remote when your phone rings! Just say "Alexa, ask Quick Remote to pause the TV".
Quick Remote helps you control your Roku with voice commands! Play or pause the movie. Rewind or fast forward your favorite shows. Start Netflix or CBS News channel. Navigate Roku's menu by saying go left, right or select!
It can follow multiple commands at once and also control multiple Rokus! You can even ask for it to wait for your next command.
This iOS app works with Quick Remote Skill in the following Alexa powered devices from Amazon:
• Amazon Echo
• Amazon Tap
• Echo Dot
• Echo Show
• Echo Look
• Amazon Dash Wand With Alexa
No hub or additional hardware required! You will never touch the Roku remote again!!
IMPORTANT - TO CONTROL YOUR ROKU FROM ALEXA:
1. Enable Notifications for this app in Settings
2. Enable 'Background App Refresh' in Settings
3. Do not force-quit this app, instead press the home key to close it
4. Plug in your iOS device if the remote stops working because some devices delay push notifications to save battery.
In Amazon Alexa app or alexa.amazon.com:
• Enable the Quick Remote skill
• Link to Quick Remote using your Amazon account
• Using 'Login with Amazon' your email will only be used to link with the mobile app
In your iPhone/iPad:
• Install this app in your iOS device
• Connect your phone to the same Wi-Fi network as your Roku device
• Select the Roku device you want to control in the devices menu
• Login with Amazon using the same account as your Alexa app -- your email will only be used for linking
Back at your Alexa device:
• Say "Alexa, ask Quick Remote to pause the TV" -- voila! your Roku will do as you say!
• Say "Alexa, ask Quick Remote to go home, right, down and select" -- it will follow multiple commands at once!
• Say "Alexa, ask Quick Remote to start Netflix and wait" -- it will start a channel and wait for your next command!
• Say "Alexa, ask Quick Remote to switch to Family Room Roku" -- it will even control multiple Rokus!
The free version has a limit of 50 commands per calendar month. Upgrade to Full Pass subscription to use Quick Remote without limits!
IMPORTANT AUTO-RENEWABLE SUBSCRIPTION INFORMATION:
• Full Pass subscription is auto-renewable either monthly or yearly and come with one week free trial
• Payment will be charged to iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase
• Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period
• Account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period
• Manage subscriptions and turn off auto-renewal by going to the Account Settings after purchase
• Any unused portion of the one week free trial period will be forfeited upon purchase of subscription
Ratings and Reviews
At first I got this more of a novelty of being able to control the TV with Alexa! Though searching for show you don't normally watch it be kind of difficult using your voice but just watching shows that you typically watch on prime or netfilx is actually rather easy.
Honestly it's just worth it to be able to tell Alexa to pause when I'm going to check on dinner or change dirty diaper or whatever instead of having to look for the remote which is often lost. Course I've already use my 50 free commands this month but luckily it's only $.99 for the whole month.
After some frustration getting this it set-up, I discovered a problem on my end with the background app refresh. In the app it looked like it was activated, when indeed in settings it had not been. Turned out what I was seeing in the app was the “representation” of what the settings need to be in the phones settings menu. Confusing, but got past it.
Ramesh was very responsive in emails in sorting through some of my questions.
It is a shame Apple goofed up the background refresh requiring one to now keep the app open whenever using it. I was lucky and had an old iPhone sitting around so that is now the permanent conduit to the app and Roku. Hopefully Apple will fix what they broke.
Unlike the other reports of not being able to power on a Roku integrated TV. I have no problem. Work fine.
Once you know the correct commands, Alexa works well. Turn on vs power on looped me for a while. But hey, got the hang of it.
While this app helps to establish communication between the rocky and Alexa, at least on iOS 12 this communication only works if the app is running in foreground and the screen lock of the phone is switched off. I believe this was not intended. I have to point out that on my phone the background app refresh is turned on, so the app on the phone should be able to relay commands in the background. Also, the commands I speak to alexa are being sent to the phone. Unfortunately, they only arrive to the tiki device when spoken while quick remote is running in the foreground. Please consider a different “relay” computer for quick remote, e.g. a raspberry pi.
- Ramesh Somasundaram
- 22.5 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2017 Appestry
- In-App Purchases
- Monthly Full Pass $0.99
- Yearly Full Pass $9.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.