By Indiana University
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
This game teaches how evolution works: quirkies evolve through natural selection, reproduction, recombination and mutation of genes.
The basics: by selecting mates who get to reproduce, you and other players simulate the environment in which the best quirkies survive.
You can choose a trait that you would like the population to have (do this on the settings screen). As you play the game, try to select quirkies with that trait. In each generation, the offspring inherit the genes from the parents. The trait that you picked will become common throughout the population. Your fitness score at the top of the main screen will improve, and you win the game with high enough fitness over generations. But quirkies might also be rejected by mates, experience harmful mutations, and risk extinction.
As you play, quirkies will entertain you with funny comments (even with speech), quiz your understanding of evolution, and make suggestions from an amazing range of educational videos and podcasts. Earn badges through these activities!
Your quirkies will evolve new traits such as colors, nose, mouth, limbs, hair, and more by regulatory gene adaptations. Explore it all through the family tree (showing how genes are inherited) and population view.
You can also earn survival points with mini-games: help your offspring feed, fight challengers, and find their parents. And don't tell anyone, but if you get to the biolab, you can manipulate your quirkie's genes!
Evolved a really cute quirkie? You can give it a name (it will also get a scientific species name), save it for later, and share it with your friends! (Parents, no worries --- your kid cannot post on social media without your permission.) You can get news updates, when one of your quirkies has new siblings or offspring. And then you can explore the families of your quirkies: their parents, siblings, mates, and offspring.
Iris Menczer (4th grade) and her dad created this game for kids to have fun learning about evolution. Evolutionary biologists have helped make it more educational. Hope you enjoy both the fun and the learning!
What's New in Version 4.1
Few minor interface tweaks and bug fixes. We are excited to announce the many huge improvements in v.4:
* Quirkies Evolution is now a universal app, running on both iPhones and iPads
* Explore family (parents, siblings, mates, and offspring) of My Quirkies
* With app icon badge notifications, get family news updates (new siblings and offspring)
* Earn survival points with three mini-games: feed, fight, and find my parents
* Background music: choose among four options, or none at all
* All-new tutorial to introduce new players to the many game features
* Improved back-end --- all players share a single population!
All this on top of these other recent changes:
* New mating mechanisms: chase a mate or tap and hold one to be chased
* Follow the test tube to visit the biolab and manipulate genes
* Talking quirkies if enabled via Settings
* Badges for game and learning achievements
* From Family Tree, tap on a generation to explore how genes are inherited
* From Population, top on a quirkie to view its genes
* Hundreds of educational videos and podcasts
Kids have fun learning about evolution
Fantastic improvements in this version! Music, family updates, minigames, and the tutorial are great! Not only does the app demonstrate the basic principles of evolution, but my daughter and her friends are enjoying playing the game and watching the videos! And now we can play on our iPad too!
Fun and educational
I like how my daughter (11) is encouraged to watch science videos about evolution, there are so many and they are top quality. She loves to save her little creatures and follow their family news. A wonderful app, I recommend it to all parents.
We got this as our biology homework for 10th grade. Amazing game. 64/39 great game
- Category: Games
- Updated: Jun 05, 2016
- Version: 4.1
- Size: 52.3 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Indiana University
- © 2016 Filippo Menczer
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.