By NBC News Digital, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
MSNBC's app makes it easy to watch your favorite MSNBC shows – including Morning Joe, The Rachel Maddow Show, and Hardball with Chris Matthews – at any time, wherever you are.
Watch MSNBC live on your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. Or, if you missed a show, you can catch recent full episodes. It's MSNBC your way, in your hands.
With the MSNBC app, you can watch:
• MSNBC live: Stream live episodes of your favorite prime-time shows as they air, and watch breaking news as it happens. Catch up with the latest political stories and news in real time.
• On-demand full episodes of your favorite shows, including:
The Rachel Maddow Show
Hardball with Chris Matthews
The Last Word with Lawrence O’Donnell
All in with Chris Hayes
Up with Steve Kornacki
Caught on Camera
• Your own Watchlist: Save your favorite episodes for later on your personalized Watchlist. When you add shows to your Watchlist, you can view them at whatever time is convenient and never miss a story or episode.
• To watch live TV and full episodes for free on the app, log in using your account with a cable or satellite TV provider. Dozens of providers – including most major ones – participate. For the full list of providers, go to msnbc.com/now, click the link that says “please sign in,” then expand the menu of providers.
What's New in Version 3.0.0
• Complete app redesign makes it easier to find and enjoy your favorite shows.
• Stream msnbc shows to your TV or monitor using Apple Airplay.
• Bug fixes and performance improvements.
Pick up where I left off & handling ads
The app can't be free with no ads and full episodes for all. Whenever I read comments on MSNBC it's all people wanting everything for free with no ads. Set that aside. Chris & Rachel & friends deserve to get paid and MSNBC can't run a TV network for free. For the most part the app looks good, streams well, and I can find everything. I wish I could bookmark segments to pick up watching later. Sometimes I don't finish a show and it's hard to find where I was in a previous session. I would also like the commercial breaks to be consolidated into 4 breaks per hour. As it stands there are breaks before and after each "teaser segment," a short promo every MSNBC show does for upcoming features. When the ads run before and after the teaser segments it creates a 5 minute period without any real content. It's too long. If we could get the commercial breaks to only happen between 10 minute chunks of show content that would be great. I'm rooting for you guys to successfully monetize this thing in a way that works for the budget and the viewership. Glad to see the new app. Sincere thanks for working to bring MSNBC to multiple platforms.
Before this version I was unable to sign on and watch my favorite show, The Rachel Maddow Show. I am happy to report that even though more improvements could be made, I can now at least sign in through my Directv account and watch Rachel Maddow. As today was the first time I could sign in, I am unsure of what problems may exist. I was unhappy that only one episode was available for viewing. I had hoped I would be able to catch up on at some of the episodes I had missed. However, this is Monday and last Friday's episode was the only one available to watch. I am hoping I will not have to wait until the next day to see the episodes on the night they are viewable if I were watching on TV.
I will no doubt be updating my review as I learn more about the app's functionality and the length of time an episode is available to view and so on. For now I'm pleased I was able to watch at least the one episode, even though it was not the most recent one.
Viewer experience is terrible
I can't give this app a good review because NBC's attention to its service is poor. Video sometimes doesn't post for certain programs for two days. Other companies have video posted the next morning.
Also, the advertising function is terrible and completely insensitive to the viewer. When a show returns to tease the next segment, which lasts seconds, the viewer is forced to watch the same run of commercials they just finished watching. I'm fine with watching the ads, but this experience is frustrating and does not endear me to the products advertised.
It seems that Comcast and NBC are not committed to this app. Until I see something different, I will give the app one star.
- Category: News
- Updated: Jul 01, 2015
- Version: 3.0.0
- Size: 20.2 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: NBC News Digital, LLC
- © 2013-2015 NBC News Digital
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.