RailModeller Express is a free application for creating small model railroad layouts.
Its key features include:
• A clean and intuitive user interface,
• Sophisticated tools to quickly build awesome model train layouts with up to 50 elements,
• Multi-brand libraries with more than 200 track systems,
• Support for all common model scales,
• Assistants for placing tracks at different heights and creating grades,
• Definition of baseboards indicating the available area for a model railway layout,
• Customizable modes for viewing the layout in two and three dimensions,
• Automatically generated shopping lists,
• A price database automatically syncing item prices across layouts,
• Printing layouts on any scale from a single sheet of paper to full 1:1 scale,
• A file format 100% compatible with our "RailModeller Pro" app
This update contains a number of improvements and bug fixes, including:
• A new 'trapezoid' tunnel portal style,
• A new 'semicircle' tunnel portal style,
• A new drawing style for rendering tracks using a single line,
• Improvements to the assistant for creating grades to the selected track,
• Customized sort mode in the Community Layouts browser (date, popular, ..),
• An enhanced auto-resize function when baseboard layers are used in the layout,
• Better handling of large layouts in 3D view,
• A new contextual menu in the Part List to select all elements of a type in the current layout,
• Improved handling of images automatically placed on the clipboard when layout elements are copied,
• Fixed system warnings in the macOS Console when the app is launched,
as well as updated track libraries.
RailModeller Express 6.0 introduces Community Layouts enabling you to browse layouts created and shared by members of the community for inspiration and discussion.
Ratings and Reviews
Exactly what I wanted!
I’m just getting into Z-scale modeling, and was in the midst of planning my first permanent layout. To help me with that task, I was actually just looking for a good 2D scale-drawing/CAD program, from which I had planned to make my own track-section templates. I was surprised to find this amazing tool, pre-loaded with ALL the Marklin and Rokuhan track sections available. For my needs, it is just about as perfect as I could imagine. Very easy to use, if you are even remotely familiar with other types of diagramming software. It’s even fun to use. I currently have the free version, but will happily pay for the upgrade to the $40 version, just to support the developer.
Not Very Helpful
The express edition is not very helpful for someone trying to use this type of software for the first time. I would have expected a list of things in numerical order giving you tips on where to start, how to size the canvas, how to add thins to the canvas, etc. Just basic instructions on where to start and what to expect. Also, when I tried doing something, I kept geting a message this feature is not available and to try the Pro edition. I downloaded the free version to see if this is something I would want to pursue in track planning. Seems to me it’s more of a come on to buy the Pro edition. Sorry, but I will not do that unless the free version is more user friendly and I don’t see that happenning.
Great for Slot Car Layouts!
This is a great app for designing slot car layouts! I’ve used it for both 1/64th (AFX/Tyco “HO”) and 1/32 Scalextric track. Just fantastic! I had been doing layouts in Adobe Illustrator, creating my own library of track components. But this app is SO much better. Providing parts lists, track lengths, overall layout dimensions, etc. Easy and intuitive interface.
Only 3 minor suggestions for improving the Slot Car side of things:
1) Make sure to add in all the Scalextric track options (starter sets include 2 long straights - power and mechanical lap counters - not included in the library).
2) Calculate lane lengths separately (Left and Right lanes)
3) Allow and calculate for 4 & 6 lane layouts.
Thanks for a truly great app. I’m planning on upgrading to the Pro version soon!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.