Rand McNally RV GPS
By Rand McNally
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Size: 3.5 GB
Languages: English, French, Spanish
Seller: Rand McNally
© 2014 RM Acquisition, LLC d/b/a Rand McNally
Requirements: Compatible with iPad with iOS 4.0 and higher. GPS accessory required for Wi-Fi only models.
Turn your iPad into a fully functional, turn-by-turn GPS device built specifically for RVers. Rand McNally RV GPS is an on-board app that provides safe and easy routing customized for your RV. Unlike off-board navigation, the maps load on your iPad, providing access everywhere—even in remote areas where you may not have a cellular or Wi-Fi connection. Includes full mapping for the U.S. and Canada, plus an electronic version of Rand McNally’s Deluxe Midsize Road Atlas.
This app features RV-specific routing based on award-winning navigation from Rand McNally, the leader in North American maps and navigation. Find thousands of RV parks and campgrounds, RV-friendly locations, and RV trips. Use RVer tools to help plan and organize. Switch to car mode for everyday use.
Note: Like other navigation apps, active turn-by-turn navigation is enabled for iPad cellular models, but requires a GPS accessory for Wi-Fi only models. Trip planning and all other functions use built-in location services and run on both cellular and Wi-Fi only models.
Live information, along your route
· Weather—Show current conditions and forecast, or choose from 10 different map overlays, including precipitation and wind speed.
· Fuel prices—View fuel prices on the map, or search by price, distance, or brand. Includes prices for regular, premium, and diesel fuel.
· Integrated local search—Use keyword search, such as “pie,” for relevant results, or search by for any business by name. Then get RV-specific directions to that location with one quick tap.
• Safe and easy routing for 11 types of RVs, customized for the specific length, height and width of the vehicle
• Routing based on legal and physical restrictions, such as low bridges, weight limits, and propane restrictions, and favoring right- or left-hand turns depending on RV type, size and class
• Includes Lifetime Maps*
• Exits Quick View—Display amenities at upcoming exits
• Junction View with lane assist—Manage complex interchanges in 3D
• Warnings—Set alerts for speed limit changes, sharp curves, dirt roads, and other potential hazards
• Trails—Record a “bread crumb” path from the campsite, or a favorite shortcut
• Tap on the map—To route to or detour around any location
• Multi-stop routing—Enter to up to 50 locations in one trip, and auto-optimize up to 10 stops
• Route comparison—Choose between primary and alternate routes
• Car mode—Switch to car mode for your towed vehicle or for everyday use
• Millions of general and RV-specific points of interest, including campgrounds, travel centers, parks, restaurants and more
• Thousands of RV parks and campgrounds, including National and State Parks
• Good Sam® campground information (formerly Trailer Life and Woodall’s), with searchable amenities and ratings
• Pet-friendly locations
• Rand McNally Editor’s Picks, including Best of the Road® adventures, trips, and getaways
• RV checklists—Prepare for trip departure, campsite setup, and more. Or create your own lists.
• Address book—Sort by name, distance, or date added; create map icons and address book groups.
• Fuel logs—Track fuel purchases, including where purchased, gallons and total cost, and organize by date or state. Plus, keep track of fuel economy.
• Trip planning—Set start and end points wherever you choose, to plan a trip in advance.
• Quick Planner—Calculate time, distance, and cost for trips between any two locations.
• Rand McNally RoadWork™ Construction Updates—Regular updates to major projects, with the option to detour around construction.
• Rand McNally’s Deluxe Midsize Road Atlas—Included on board.
*Subject to the terms and conditions described at randmcnally.com/lifetimemaps
What's New in Version 5.6.2989.2
A previous error that caused problems when loading the app has been resolved.
More live information along your route
- Fuel prices—View fuel prices on the map, or search by price, distance, or brand. Includes prices for regular, premium, and diesel fuel.
- Integrated local search—Use keyword search, such as “pie,” for relevant results, or search by for any business by name. Then get RV-specific directions to that location with one quick tap.
- Map update—Fully updated map data, including RV restrictions on parkways
- Route comparison—Choose between primary and alternate routes
- Fuel logs—Now automatically calculate fuel economy
- Diesel fuel POI search—Especially useful when not on freeways
I studied the available RV GPS options and finally decided that a $99 app for the iPad was a low cost way to see what one looked like. With somewhat low expectations due to all the other reviews of all such GPS units, I paid the money and started the download. The really nice feature of this software was that it downloaded the entire map to the iPad so it would work when out of range of a wifi, or cell service. That turned out to be its downfall. After waiting for almost an hour to download which was not surprising giving the size of the download, we it packed the iPad in the motorhome and headed out. One we were on the road my wife tapped the icon to check the route we had mapped out with real paper maps only to have the software switch to a full screen menu that stated, updates available with the options download or cancel! WHAT! I just waited for over an hour and not only did I fail to get the latest data, but the program is completely useless until I can get to a WIFI signal that I can run flat out for another hour. I am willing to give the program one more chance when I get to a hot spot, but if I ever have it lock up and deny use because some update is available, it goes I the trash and I purchase another brand. Rand McNally are you Listening?
$99 App that doesn't work
I got this for a long RV trip, hoping it would make things much easier. Unfortunately, there are so many things wrong here, it's tough to know where to begin. The app is basically a port of a dashboard GPS device, so the controlls are unnecessarily clunky and the functions are really limited. The first thing that happens after you download the 3GB app is that it FORCES you to do a 1.7 GB update. After that, I was able to open the app long enough to see all the functions, but the next time I opened the app, it forced the 1.7GB update again and now the download fails every time. Since you have no choice but to do the update, and it keeps failing, I can't use the software. After forever on hold, Rand McNally tech support said they can't help me, but they'd be happy to let the developer know about the problem. Thanks. Big help. I know it's disappointing, but this is a $99 piece of worthless software. Save yourself the trouble and if you really want it, go by the dashboard device...Very sad.
It doesn't work
This app simply does not work. Even on it's best day, it is clunky.
Right now, it insists that I download an update, but then it won't download the update, even though my Wi-Fi connection is perfectly fine.
It's nuts to build an application you use on the road, and then insist that an update be downloaded via Wi-Fi and not to give you the option to use the application as it is.
Right now, my app won't even let me into the maps, it won't let me do anything. It just keeps saying that my Wi-Fi connection is broken, but my Wi-Fi connection is perfectly fine. In fact I'm using Wi-Fi to do this review.
I really liked the TripMaker program, that this app is worthless and it simply doesn't work. I hate it.