Rand McNally RV GPS
By Rand McNally
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Size: 3.5 GB (1.8 GB via iTunes and then 1.7 GB required initial data. Both require high-speed WiFi to download, your home connection is recommended.)
Languages: English, French, Spanish
Seller: Rand McNally
© 2014 RM Acquisition, LLC d/b/a Rand McNally
Requirements: Compatible with iPad with iOS 4.0 and higher. GPS accessory required for Wi-Fi only models.
Turn your iPad into a fully functional, turn-by-turn GPS device built specifically for RVers. Rand McNally RV GPS is an on-board app that provides safe and easy routing customized for your RV. Unlike off-board navigation, the maps load on your iPad, providing access everywhere—even in remote areas where you may not have a cellular or Wi-Fi connection. Includes full mapping for the U.S. and Canada, plus an electronic version of Rand McNally’s Deluxe Midsize Road Atlas.
This app features RV-specific routing based on award-winning navigation from Rand McNally, the leader in North American maps and navigation. Find thousands of RV parks and campgrounds, RV-friendly locations, and RV trips. Use RVer tools to help plan and organize. Switch to car mode for everyday use.
Note: Like other navigation apps, active turn-by-turn navigation is enabled for iPad cellular models, but requires a GPS accessory for Wi-Fi only models. Trip planning and all other functions use built-in location services and run on both cellular and Wi-Fi only models.
Live information, along your route
· Weather—Show current conditions and forecast, or choose from 10 different map overlays, including precipitation and wind speed.
· Fuel prices—View fuel prices on the map, or search by price, distance, or brand. Includes prices for regular, premium, and diesel fuel.
· Integrated local search—Use keyword search, such as “pie,” for relevant results, or search by for any business by name. Then get RV-specific directions to that location with one quick tap.
• Safe and easy routing for 11 types of RVs, customized for the specific length, height and width of the vehicle
• Routing based on legal and physical restrictions, such as low bridges, weight limits, and propane restrictions, and favoring right- or left-hand turns depending on RV type, size and class
• Includes Lifetime Maps*
• Exits Quick View—Display amenities at upcoming exits
• Junction View with lane assist—Manage complex interchanges in 3D
• Warnings—Set alerts for speed limit changes, sharp curves, dirt roads, and other potential hazards
• Trails—Record a “bread crumb” path from the campsite, or a favorite shortcut
• Tap on the map—To route to or detour around any location
• Multi-stop routing—Enter to up to 50 locations in one trip, and auto-optimize up to 10 stops
• Route comparison—Choose between primary and alternate routes
• Car mode—Switch to car mode for your towed vehicle or for everyday use
• Millions of general and RV-specific points of interest, including campgrounds, travel centers, parks, restaurants and more
• Thousands of RV parks and campgrounds, including National and State Parks
• Good Sam® campground information (formerly Trailer Life and Woodall’s), with searchable amenities and ratings
• Pet-friendly locations
• Rand McNally Editor’s Picks, including Best of the Road® adventures, trips, and getaways
• RV checklists—Prepare for trip departure, campsite setup, and more. Or create your own lists.
• Address book—Sort by name, distance, or date added; create map icons and address book groups.
• Fuel logs—Track fuel purchases, including where purchased, gallons and total cost, and organize by date or state. Plus, keep track of fuel economy.
• Trip planning—Set start and end points wherever you choose, to plan a trip in advance.
• Quick Planner—Calculate time, distance, and cost for trips between any two locations.
• Rand McNally’s Deluxe Midsize Road Atlas—On board.
*Subject to the terms and conditions described at randmcnally.com/lifetimemaps
What's New in Version 5.6.2989.2
A "Skip" button has been added to the interface so that maintenance data updates can be downloaded at your convenience.
A previous error that caused problems when loading the app has been resolved.
More live information along your route
- Fuel prices—View fuel prices on the map, or search by price, distance, or brand. Includes prices for regular, premium, and diesel fuel.
- Integrated local search—Use keyword search, such as “pie,” for relevant results, or search by for any business by name. Then get RV-specific directions to that location with one quick tap.
- Map update—Fully updated map data, including RV restrictions on parkways
- Route comparison—Choose between primary and alternate routes
- Fuel logs—Now automatically calculate fuel economy
- Diesel fuel POI search—Especially useful when not on freeways
iPAD WIFI - BEWARE
If you're an iPad user, hopefully I've caught your attention! I'm about to go full time RV'ing and needed a good GPS for my 40' motorhome. I spent a long time researching the various options (though obviously not long enough) and selected this Rand McNally app - for several reasons: 1) Rand McNally are a reputable company, 2) I liked the feature/functions of the app as described, 3) I could use my large screen iPad Air, and 4) it was 1/3 the cost of a GPS unit. Where I went wrong was assuming that when Rand McNally stated my iPad WIFI (only) would need a GPS utility, I didn't know this meant a little device costing ~ $100 that had to be plugged into my lighting port (i.e. can't charge at the same time!). I can't fully blame Rand McNally for this, but I sure would have liked a clearer definition around this limitation. There were other issues I ran into - the app and maps are huge (3+ GB), and the app would hang periodically, but the GPS function was the killer for me. I now own a real $350 GPS for my RV and a $99 iPad app floating around the app burial grounds.
RAND MCNALLY - Please consider rewording your description around this limitation for us less technical folks, or allow us to trade in our $99 app for one of your real RV GPS. I believe you're too good of a company to allow this confusion and (apparent) money collection from iPad Wifi owners to continue much longer.
$99 App that doesn't work
I got this for a long RV trip, hoping it would make things much easier. Unfortunately, there are so many things wrong here, it's tough to know where to begin. The app is basically a port of a dashboard GPS device, so the controlls are unnecessarily clunky and the functions are really limited. The first thing that happens after you download the 3GB app is that it FORCES you to do a 1.7 GB update. After that, I was able to open the app long enough to see all the functions, but the next time I opened the app, it forced the 1.7GB update again and now the download fails every time. Since you have no choice but to do the update, and it keeps failing, I can't use the software. After forever on hold, Rand McNally tech support said they can't help me, but they'd be happy to let the developer know about the problem. Thanks. Big help. I know it's disappointing, but this is a $99 piece of worthless software. Save yourself the trouble and if you really want it, go by the dashboard device...Very sad.
We just returned from a 7300 mile road trip and this app worked great. I also had my trusty old Garmin running to compare routes, and 99% of the time they were in agreement. But for an RV trip this app told us so much more. We used it to find campgrounds on our route. When we needed fuel it told us what services were available at each exit. I used it to find RV dump stations and a repair service. Sometimes the Garmin gave us better POI information on tourist attractions, but I consider that minor.
The app is extremely fast, and the interface on an iPad is very well laid out and easy to read. We spent a lot of time out of cell range, but this had no effect on operation.
My only comment is that it needs to be easier to build a multi segment route and be able to see travel times for each segment. The app only shows total time.
There is a lot of trip information available that I haven't used yet but will on subsequent trips.
I consider this app, although expensive, to be a must-have for future trips. It gives the same functionality (as far as I can tell) of the Rand McNally GPS for a lot less money assuming you already have the iPad.
Definitely 5 stars in my opinion.