With RCM Music Theory 4, students will round out their elementary music theory knowledge by learning more than 30 new concepts through 14 engaging lessons and 7 entertaining games!
Can music theory be as much fun as a carnival? Absolutely!
Fun animation, lively narration, and interactive games keep kids entertained and focused as they expand their music theory knowledge. And just like their other favorite game apps, reaching new levels keeps kids encouraged and motivated. Best of all, this app is part of The Royal Conservatory’s renowned system of music study specifically designed to ensure young learners enjoy the full benefits of music making.
The study of music theory:
• boosts aural awareness
• develops analytical thinking
• encourages creativity
With these invaluable skills, young musicians will gain a deeper understanding of the music they hear and play! Developing expertise in the eight areas of study available for purchase in this app build a foundation for well-rounded musical training and lifelong music making.
Download this app for free to learn more about The Royal Conservatory and the over 30 learning objectives which support student success at Level 4 of The RCM Certificate Program.
**Key Features of RCM Music Theory 4**
-14 lessons bring Level 4 music theory basics to life
-7 fun and interactive musical games solidify learning
-50+ individual lesson pages specifically designed for kids
-60+ minutes of animation and narration encourage active learning
-30+ learning objectives cover 8 areas of study including pitch, rhythm, scales, chords, music history, melody and composition, intervals, and musical terms and signs
-Guided Listening of well-known compositions encourage deeper understanding
-Discover various families of instruments and get to know the orchestra
-Theory concepts aligned with RCM Level 4 Theory
**Theory concepts covered in the 8 units available for purchase**
1) Pitch and Notation
• transposition up or down one octave, including change of clef
2) Rhythm and Meter
• triplets • time signatures (2/4, 3/4, 4/4, 2/8, 3/8, 4/8)
• major and minor scales (natural, harmonic, and melodic forms) up to three sharps or flats (using key signatures and/or accidentals)
• scale degree names: tonic, subdominant, dominant, leading tone, and subtonic
• melodic and harmonic intervals (major, minor, and perfect, up to an octave, above the tonic of required major keys only, using key signatures or accidentals)
• tonic, subdominant, and dominant triads of required keys in root position (solid/blocked or broken form) • functional chord symbols (I, i, IV, v, V) • root/quality chord symbols (for example, C, Bm)
6) Music History
• families of orchestral instruments • The Young Person’s Guide to the Orchestra by Benjamin Britten • The Nutcracker by Pyotr Il’yich Tchaikovsky (Waltz of the Flowers, Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy)
7) Musical Terms and Signs
• accelerando, accel. • adagio • mano destra, m.d. • mano sinistra, m.s. • prestissimo •Tempo primo (Tempo I) • vivace • breath mark • down bow • up bow
8) Melody and Composition
• composition of a four-measure melody • in a major key • using a mixture of steps, skips, and leaps between notes of the tonic and dominant triads • ending on degree stable pitch
- Royal Conservatory of Music
- 116 MB
- Requires iOS 10.2 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2017 Royal Conservatory of Music
- In-App Purchases
- All-Access Pass $8.99
- Intervals $1.99
- Melody Composition $1.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.