By Kevin Conner
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Reading List is a quick, useful app that will help you track your books and get back to reading.
To add a book to your list, just enter the title and author, or scan a bar code (on iPhone 3GS or newer).
Jot down the page you're on, the library due date, where you found it, or where you left it — any notes you want.
The app can download book cover photos and fill in blank authors. You can also use the camera yourself.
Books stay organized in four views:
• Reading Now,
• Saved For Later,
• the Wish List, and
• Finished Reading.
Sort each view however you like. You might bring up your wish list at the bookstore, then sort by author to match the store shelves.
Above all, Reading List is designed to be easy and quick. At a moment's notice, you can add a book or glance at your list. Then, get on with your life.
• Reading List works in both portrait and landscape.
• It works offline. Books and photos are saved right on your device. †
• Sort your list by title, author, last edit, or manually.
• Take your own cover photos, or let the app find photos online.
• On iPhone 3GS or newer, you can scan bar codes instead of typing.
• I'm listening! Tell me your ideas and problems by email or Twitter.
† You must be connected to the Internet to scan bar codes or look up photos.
• App icon by Leslie Aldridge
• Japanese translations by Lane Huff and Yuka Aritomi
• Some icons by Joseph Wain of glyphish.com, licensed under Creative Commons.
• Bar code scanning uses Zbar by Jeff Brown, licensed under LGPL 2.1.
• Book lookup and cover photos are provided by Google Books and OpenLibrary.
What's New in Version 2.1
This version adds support for iPhone 5.
I have been very pleased with this app. It allows me to keep track of books read, books I want to read, and to sort them by title, author, or sequence posted. I would like it if there were a "date read" that would allow sorting by date. Now I just have to figure out how to transfer my completed reading list to my new iPhone...
Good listing app
Good place to have your list and to have categories To Read, Save for Later, Finished. Will look up cover image and other info, plus a place to put your own comments.