Reading Rainbow Skybrary Family
By Reading Rainbow
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
“The vibrant games, beautiful illustrations, and cute animation all make for an interactive experience, but kids get hooked on reading books” – PC Mag
“This digital remake of the classic children’s television series offers more than 600 children’s books that children can read themselves or listen to. Nostalgic bonus: The ageless LeVar Burton appears as a guide and in videos within the app.” - New York Times
“Instead of having to lug a whole bag of picture books in a car or on a plane, this is sort of like having that bag of books in an app.” - Common Sense Media
“The benefit to children’s literacy development cannot be overlooked” – Smart Apps for Kids
“I love this app and I highly recommend it for children” - Wired Magazine’s GEEKMOM
"We've never before seen as diverse a library offered up" – Common Sense Media
Skybrary® captures the magic of the beloved children’s television series Reading Rainbow®, bringing its mission of comprehension and intellectual engagement into the Digital Age.
Spark a lifelong love of learning in your young reader by joining us on a journey through an ever-expanding world of interactive digital books and Video Field Trips hosted by everyone’s favorite storyteller, LeVar Burton. With Skybrary Family, your child can truly go anywhere and be anything. Download it today and give your child a whole month of free access!
• Enjoy unlimited access to over 600 quality children’s books.
• Discover more than 250 educational Video Field Trips.
• Explore new content every week.
• Unlock interactive animations that bring the stories to life and support reading comprehension.
• Find tailored book recommendations based on your child's age and interests.
• Create customized profiles for up to 3 children at no additional cost.
• Choose "Read to Me" or "Read by Myself" for each book.
• Track your reader's progress with a Parent Dashboard.
• Ad-free environment.
For children, Skybrary Family is an immersive world of reading discovery, where they can pilot their own personal hot air balloons through 7 magical islands, each home to hundreds of quality books and videos that celebrate diversity, family and the world around us. Young readers are free to explore the topics they love most as well as discover new areas of interest.
WHAT MAKES READING RAINBOW SKYBRARY FAMILY SO SPECIAL?
• Supports increased reading frequency and literacy development.
• Designed to enhance reading comprehension through purposeful interactivity.
• Enhances a child’s relationship to reading by making it fun, interesting, and relevant.
• Embodies the educational values of the beloved Emmy award-winning PBS TV series Reading Rainbow.
• Designed to engage young minds within the context of a modern family’s busy lifestyle.
• Provides healthy, interactive, educational screen time.
HOW THE SKYBRARY FAMILY SUBSCRIPTION WORKS:
• Register and get a 1 Month Free Trial to everything we have to offer!
• Subscribe and unlock an unlimited reading experience for your child: 1 Month for $4.99 USD or 1 Year for $39.99 USD (all subscriptions are recurring).
• Your subscription is connected to your iTunes Account and can be used on additional iPads, iPhones, and across the web on any browser.
• Payment will be charged to your iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase or at the start of the first subscription period after an eligible free trial has completed.
• Your subscription will auto-renew unless auto-renewal is canceled at least 24 hours before the end of the current subscription period.
• You may turn off auto-renewal at any time from your iTunes account settings.
• Cancellations will be reflected during your next billing cycle.
Reading Rainbow ® WNED-Buffalo. Skybrary ® RRKIDZ Inc.
Skybrary Family © RRKIDZ Inc. / All Rights Reserved
What's New in Version 2.1.1
New in version 2.1.1:
Fixed bugs that were causing crashes (sorry about that).
New in version 2.1.0:
• You asked for it, and our engineering team made it happen. That’s right, offline reading is back! Add books to your backpack and take them with you for on-the-go reading fun!
• You will also notice a new cool-looking button in your cockpit. This sweet feature is where all your recently enjoyed books and videos will live -- making room in your backpacks for new stuff! You can thank our stellar graphic designer and her engineering allies for this gem.
• If you don’t have your push notifications turned on, it’s highly recommended you do so. We’ve got some LIT(erary) magic coming your way and we promise not to spam you.
Could be so much better
I've backed this since the Kickstarter campaign and subscribed since the app was released. I really, really, really want to use this more, but I don't find my son and I using it all that much. Why?
Finding books is clunky. There is no listing of books by authors. Often how we find a new book is by reading a book by an author and liking it, then going and finding more of their books. Absolutely no way to do that here.
No search. There's a search button, but it tells you search is coming soon. It's been three years...
Only five books at a time. The backpack idea is cool, but come on. I should be able to add books to an endless list, like shows/movies in Netflix. Since you can only download five at a time, if my son rejects those five (or we read them all and want another), we have to find another book and wait for it to load, etc.
The sticker thing is still 'coming soon'. What's with putting buttons in your app that don't work?
Finally, and perhaps biggest to me, although admittedly my son probably doesn't care, the books are low quality images. Children's books that I buy on iBooks look gorgeous on the big iPad Pro. But in Skybrary they don't take up the whole screen and are all pixelated.
Offline reading. It's back now, but why was it ever gone?
I really wish this app was easier to use and more functional. I really support the mission behind it and want it to succeed. Unfortunately, as it is it doesn't feel like a cutting edge app and service.
The price is more manageable but...
Update: Go to read a book that's been in the backpack for months and it has to re-download. Our subscription is still good, but we're using a slow hot-spot. Just check the subscription/license, DRM shouldn't require re-downloading everything!!!
... Everything that we didn't like about it last time we subscribed is still broken and more. In some books, books that have been in Skybrary for years, animations pop-over the text and stay there whether you tap on them or not, obscuring most the text on that page before you or your child can read it!!! Yes, even and especially in the pre-K books!
Rather than fixing this app or the versions for Android/Kindle, it seems that all pretense at quality control has been dropped across the board.
VERY costly app in both money and time for parents and frustration for kids. The app constantly asks for the password which requires the parent to enter. Of course you'll forget your password and spend 15 minutes reseting it. Then your child will not use the app for 3 months, in the meantime you'll be charged for another 6 month or year subscription which you have no time to cancel nor warning of the recurring charge upcoming. Don't get suckered. Buy your kids some real books and read them to your children. You know? Like real parents.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Education
- Updated: Apr 18, 2017
- Version: 2.1.1
- Size: 174 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: RRKidz, Inc.
- © 2017 RRKidz, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Skybrary Subscription$4.99
- Skybrary Subscription$29.99
- Skybrary Subscription$39.99