Painters can select colors from images and have the opaque paint mixing recipe computed! This is very useful to art students, to painters with color vision difficulties or to those working in the painting conservation and restoration fields. Paint, time and money waste can be greatily reduced!
Many Color Spaces are included: sRGB, Display P3, CMYK, HSL, HSV/B, Lab, Lch-ab, Luv, Lch-uv, XYZ, xyY and Munsell coordinates. The Munsell coordinates are computed from the original and extrapolated Renotation Data with great precision even around the neutral axis.
RealPaint includes one Ideal Paint set and many measured Paint Sets of well-known paint makers:
1. ideal set
2. Acrylic Studio Colours by Vallejo
3. Artists' Oils by Winsor&Newton
4. Artisan water mixable Oils by Winsor&Newton
5. Conservation Colors by Gamblin
6. Designers Gouache by Winsor&Newton
7. Ferrario 1919 by Ferrario
8. Galeria by Winsor&Newton
9. Georgian Oils by Daler-Rowney
10. Grumbacher MAX water mixable Oils by Chartpak
11. Grumbacher Pre-tested Professional Oils by Chartpak
12. Heavy Body Artist by Liquitex
13. Heavy Body Acrylic by Golden
14. Matte Fluid Acrylic by Golden
15. Norma Professional Oils by Schmincke
16. Pen Color by Ferrario
17. Polycolor by Maimeri
18. Primacryl by Schmincke
19. Professional Acrylics by Winsor&Newton
20. Rembrandt Extra-Fine Oils by Talens
21. System3 Original Acrylics by Daler-Rowney
22. Van Gogh Oils by Royal Talens
RealPaint includes 8 paint bases of each Paint Set. Once you've selected your Paint Brand and Line, you can purchase the 8 bases wherever you like and use them for all your paintings. The 6 colored bases of each Paint Set were optimized to cover the widest possible OPAQUE color space offering you as many as possible mixable colors.
The apps of the "Real Paint mixing tools" family use measured paint spectral information of painted samples. Big part of the RGB/P3 space can be mixed, but not all RGB/P3 colors. This is not a limitation of the apps, just physics. There are also many colors which can be mixed even if they don't belong to the RGB/P3 color space (you can find these by varying manually the paint amount on the "mixing" page).
Paint recipes can be obtained using several Mixing Strategies:
- “B and W + 2 Colors”: a gray is mixed using Black and White to set the Value (Lightness) and 2 colored bases set Hue and Saturation.
- “B or W + 3 Colors”: 3 colored bases are used to set Hue and Saturation, Black OR White set the Value
- “at least one opaque”: all possible opaque mixing combinations are made available
- “no Black used”: opaque mixing combinations without Black
- “all bases at once”: one recipe is computed using all bases at once (result is usually not unique and opacity is not guaranteed)
Each recipe can be Exact or Rounded:
- “Exact recipe” means that each base has an amount with a precision of 0.01 units. If you need % values of each paint base amount, just enter 100 as amount. Exact setting is helpful for weight based measurements using a scale.
- “Rounded recipe” means that each base has an integer number as amount. The recipe will have the minimum possible overall amount computed adding all paint base amounts. The rounded recipes are useful for volume based measurements, like drops, using spoons or squared paper with paint squeezed directly from tubes.
Digital images usually don't fit into the color gamut of real paint sets. RealPaint can find an approximated (de)saturation value of an image to fit it into the selected Paint Set color gamut with the current mixing parameters. The value is approximated, because it is based on heuristics, but it is usually a very good approximation.
Please note that color of paint coming from different batches of the manufacturer can vary, so mix small amounts first to be sure that computed recipes meet your needs!
Please check the video tutorials on youtube by searching for "Real Paint mixing tools" to see how to use the app in your paintings.
Paint line added: Grumbacher MAX water mixable Oils
Ratings and Reviews
Invaluable app for anyone who paints from a photo reference
This app does a wonderful job of presenting ways to mix a selected colour from a digital image. The user can select one of a large number of paint sets from prominent manufacturers. For each set, only several colours are used, which means the artist can purchase all of them if he or she desires. This app will simply be invaluable for many painters. The developer is also responsive and very helpful.
Developer Response ,
Thank you very much for your kind review. Please note that each paint line has 6 colors used in mixing and they don’t change. A painter using a selected brand needs only the 6 bases (+ black and white), nothing more. When the selected palette is 3 bases, these 3 are part of the previous 6. The reason why the colored bases are fixed is that the auto-desaturation function is very complicated and it would be too time consuming otherwise.
This app is amazing. I just have one suggestion: there should be a dialog warning that you will lose the color you are working with when switch to the photo page. Also, the photo page should do nothing to your working color until you actually pick a spot in the photo. Other than that, its great and I still give it 5 stars.
Developer Response ,
Thank you very much for your feedback. This app has many applications and ways to use it. Sometimes what is best for one method, may be not optimal for another. Artists painting from a picture usually prefer updating the colors immediately when entering the Photo Page. Mixing colors starting from the Color Page is another way of using the app. In this case, switching to the Photo Page your colors are updated, but on the Color Page you can go back to the previous color with just one click on the top left arrow. If this doesn’t solve your application needs, please write to our support to discuss the topic offline. We’ll find the solution which best fits your needs!
Very Limited Capabilities
Expected more customization. A similar app allows me to select specific colors from a variety of manufacturers and then determine the various mixes I can create from those colors. This app looks good but lacks true functionality.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.