By James Medina
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
RealHelp allows you to effectively reach out to all the people who care about you when you're in trouble. When someone is feeling threatened, activating a Real Help alert instantly broadcasts their location, audio, and pictures to everyone they’ve designated on their Real Help contact list, giving the people who care most everything they need to respond.
RealHelp was conceived in the belief that people are only victimized because the people who care about them aren’t there to stop it, and that perpetrators only act because they think that they can get away with it. That's why with the swipe of your finger and no further action you can invite dozens of people to witness your situation and respond immediately. People now know where you are, that you’re in trouble, and what’s going on. Take a picture and they now know who or what is threatening you. Hopefully, you should be able to take your situation from "alone and threatened" to "Dozens of of concerned friends witnessing your situation, and minutes away from them showing up at your location." We’re hoping that this app can protect you and your friends from being victimized.
What a Real Help Alert broadcasts to your contacts:
• Your alert level (Red, Orange, Yellow, or Party). This indicates what danger you feel that you're in, and how you’d like people to react to the emergency.
• Your GPS location.
Friends can get to your location quickly or direct emergency services to your location if things get out of hand.
• Streaming audio.
Your contacts can hear what's going on around you and monitor the emergency's severity.
Any pictures taken will let your contacts know who or what to expect.
• A group chat is opened so the person in trouble and/or all respondents with the app can communicate.
• All non-RealHelp users get a link through Facebook or Email to a mobile optimized web version of the alert with live audio, location, pictures, and the ability to view the chat session.
• All alert recipients receive a link to the archived alert session that they can play later.
• Since all alerts are run from our server rather than your phone, the alert can only be truly deactivated by canceling it with your secret code.
• Alerts are sent from our server by push notification, so the app doesn't need to be on to receive alerts.
• You can add and manage dozens of contacts, specifying who gets what kinds of alerts. You can make sure that you're always notifying the people you feel are most appropriate to the emergency. By adding more contacts you increase the chance that someone is available and close by when you're in trouble.
• A party alert button allows you to use the app for non-emergency purposes, and helps you get comfortable using it in case there is an emergency.
• View all of the archived alerts that you sent and received from inside the app.
• Please keep in mind that while this can be a tremendously powerful tool, like all apps, it's vulnerable to interruptions in connectivity, software interactions, and imperfect GPS locations.
Disclaimer: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
What's New in Version 4.0
An option for the user to send Feedback, and also to view all of his/her past alerts.