Red Onion - Tor-powered web browser for anonymous browsing and darknet
By Omar Mody
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Red Onion is a unique browser that lets you access the Internet privately and anonymously. With Red Onion you can bypass corporate, school, public wifi internet filters and access the entire Internet without restrictions with complete security. Not only that with the built downloader you can freely download without ever revealing your true identity or IP address.
Red Onion is a full-fledged Tor-powered browser that offers you a REAL solution, with multiple tabs, customizable start screen, built in ad-blocker, history, bookmarks, and much much more.
- Internet access tunneled over the Tor network
- Websites do not see your real IP address
- Access the entire Internet from behind corporate/ISP/national internet filters and censors
- Auto clean up of cookies on exit
- Reset history/tabs/etc on restart (App Settings > Full Reset or Always Full Reset options for flexibility)
- Access websites on the "dark net" of anonymous .onion web sites, only accessible through Tor
- Multiple tabs, Bookmarks & History
- Supports Do Not Track
- Start screen with the most frequent visited history entry's
- Real-time search in your browsing history, bookmarks and tabs
- Search engine integration in the Address bar
- Share URL's via Twitter, Mail, Google+
- Search in the webpage
- Download files by just tapping the link or "long press" the link to Force Download it
- Simultaneous downloads (App Settings > Concurrent Downloads - default is set to 3 for performance can be changed to max of 5)
- User-Agent spoofing
- Ad-block (for most ad-networks)
- Passcode lock and Touch ID support (NEW!)
- File Manager - Preview Apple supported format right from within the app or "Open in..." others app on your device.
- Multi format video/audio player allows you to play almost any video and audio format without leaving the app (wmv, mpeg, mpeg1, mpeg2, mpeg4, 3gp, sf, avi, divx, dv, gxf, m2p, m2ts, m2v, m4v, mkv, moov, mov, mp4, mpg, mpv, mt2s, mts, mxf, ogm, ogv, ps, qt, ts, vob, webm, wm, mp3, m4a, wma).
- Address bar search engine options (Google, Bing, DuckDuckGo, StartPage can be changed App Settings > Search Engine)
- Extract audio from mp4 files (convert to mp3)
- Robust File Manager
- m3u8 streams over Tor. Bypass geo-blocked live TV streams like Aljazeera by requesting country specific IP addresses (instructions in app)
- Download m3u8 streams
- (NEW!) Chromecast support with subtitles test.mp4 test.vtt (subtitle and video file must have the same name just different extensions)
- Playlist Manager
- Dynamically updating adblocker
- (NEW!) Block HTTP referrer
- (NEW!) Cloud backup optional (off my default)
- (NEW!) Unzip/Untar
- (NEW!) Text Editor
- Web browsing/downloading through the anonymization network will be SIGNIFICANTLY SLOWER than through a non-tunneled browser like Safari. This is necessary and a small price to pay to keep your identity protected.
- This product uses the Tor distributed networks is produced independently from the Tor(r) anonymity software and carries no guarantee from The Tor Project about quality, suitability or anything else.
What's New in Version 2.2
With this update we are adding some requested features and changing some default settings to make the app more secure and feature rich.
- Ability to block HTTP referrer
- Block iCloud backup by default for downloaded files (you can reenable it in App Settings)
- Text Editor to open variety of text file and edit them
- iOS 9 styled new app icon
- Updated Spoofing User Agent strings to newest version
- Added Disconnect.me to list of search engines available
Thank you for your continued support and feedback to improve the app. Your 5-star ratings and reviews are highly appreciated and keep us motivated, so a sincere thank you for that.
Why must I give this app my passcode?
I understand someone may like to use a one-person browser and to that end to prevent other users of her or his device from using this browser. With the self-wipe function, this seems to be of marginal utility, but whatever. The question is why this must be done through Apple's device passcode and why it is a requirement for using the browser at all.
This unexplained "feature" or "support" of notifying Apple, you, or anyone else that I am about to use Tor stops me from using this browser at all (so the rating above is even more meaningless than usual). Why is there no opt-in for the passcode? What is its rationale? What considerations led not only to its inclusion but to the exclusion of anonymity for a Tor-browser app? This requirement is a deal breaker for me - one I have a hard time casting in a good light.
If this explanation has already been offered, please consider including it in the app-store description, where it should already be present.
This app is pretty good with securing your information through many tests I have conducted. Although like everything it's not perfect and the first few nodes it passes through are insecure, even though it it highly unlikely someone can snatch that information it is still insecure. Other than that there's not much tweaking to make this app more user friendly because it is very well done. The only user friendly problem while using this app is that when you scroll down you need to go all the way up again to change your page to do whatever you wish to do. Other than that this app is absolutely great at downloading videos, sound files, etc. and I haven't seen any applicant have a proxy mesh and download this fast, so good job. This app is awesome and I'd rate this 9.9 with a repentant on top!
Red Browser $1.99
I paid $1.99 for this app (v1.5), so I should have the Pro Version! This updated version crashes sometimes and I don't know what's causing, or how to fix it. Also, [!] the first 2 nodes you access are unencrypted (?). I feel like (v1.6 » streaming), was the best incarnation of Red Browser. Data downloads faster than ever and the iOS9 icon is cool, but I was hesitant to update this app and wish I had a (v1.6 *ipa), backup file. If the DEV fixes the bug, then I'll update the app to 5 stars. This is a great app, but what's this 5 stars for "Pro" nonsense? I paid you for a pro/full version and won't give you 5 stars until the current bug is fixed. If I find a fix, then I'll update my review; keeping 4 stars. Peace & Love!
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Utilities
- Updated: Mar 18, 2016
- Version: 2.2
- Size: 49.8 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: Omar Mody
- © Gplex
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.