By Kem Tekinay
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
A complete regular expression development tool meant for novices and professionals alike, this editor has many features designed to help in the development and storage of regular expressions. Based on the PCRE library, RegExRX will allow a user to craft patterns that are compatible with most regular expression flavors and will let them easily copy those patterns to other languages like Objective-C, Perl, Ruby, PHP and Xojo.
Some features include:
- Search and Replace modes.
- Color-coded tokens in both the "search" and "replace" patterns.
- Live matching against source text. Live replace too, where applicable.
- Insert menus with almost every acceptable token and a description of what they do, including constructs for various groupings, conditionals, lookarounds, and POSIX expressions.
- A "Match List" that shows all matches, with subexpressions and group names, and represents invisible characters like a space or return with their token equivalents ("\s" or "\r").
- A Templates menu for oft-used patterns. Save As Template from the File menu, or download free samples from our website directly into the Templates folder.
- Export the Match List to a text file, Excel, or FileMaker Pro XML.
- Save the Replaced Text to a text file.
- Stats on both the source text and replaced text so you can tell exactly where you are and what characters are represented at all times. Helps avoid errors caused by invisible characters.
- Linked scrolling among the source text, the replaced text and the Match List.
- Support for Unicode tokens, verbs, and subroutines.
- Save regular expressions in documents for reuse.
- Open as many windows as desired.
- Multiple levels of undo and redo.
- Link your sample source text to a file for easy reloading.
- Support for free-spacing mode.
- Full Unicode support, including a chart of all Unicode characters.
- A fluid interface that lets you resize each panel freely.
We also provides several ready-to-use sample regular expressions in a separate, free download. These samples include finding e-mail addresses, validating dates, removing duplicate lines, and more, and are available at our web site. (Check the Help menu to download directly through RegExRX.)
What's New in Version 1.8.1
- Otherwise-invisible characters will always be entered as their equivalent codes (like "\xNN") in the pattern fields.
- Optimized colorization of curly brackets.
- Updated PCRE to 8.3.3.
- Raised subgroup limit from 16 to 100.
- Specifying too many subgroups in the search pattern will now report an error.
- Copy As 4D Code (French) wasn't being properly disabled if there was no pattern to copy.
- Added customized contextual menu.
- Added Objective-C as Copy target.
- Replace tokens menu now show group names next to subexpression.
- Fixed typo in Insert Search menu.
- Fixed bug in "Paste Special" where "Escape Brackets" wouldn't do anything.
- Fixed bug where option-space, -return, -tab would not enter corresponding code into pattern.
- Fixed bug where user would be unable to enter extended characters like "¨" (or "^" on some international keyboards).
- Fixed bug where a conditional would throw off subsequent group names.
- Fixed bug where opening multiple documents at the same time may fail to properly colorize source text in one of them.
Huge time saver
I tried online tools, i downloaded and tried a couple of competitors from the app store but this is the tool I use to help me develop, refine and debug RegEx's.
It is focused on helping you get the job done without trying to be cute or flashy.
Features I like :
• accuracy, if it works in RegEx it has always worked the same way in my Perl script
• color coding in the match expression it makes it more readable.
• ability to paste in large ammonts of source text.
• ability to save out the pattern & source text you are working on so you can return to them later.
• colour coded match list which shows what will end up in your $1. $2 etc capture groups.
• click on match takes you to the match in the source text
• clean drop down for syntax hints
What doesn't it do
It doesn't show invisible characters in the source text - at least if it does I haven't been able to work out how.
Great app for novice and pro alike! Well worth the money!
I used this app to learn to use Regular Expressions. It makes creation of the search patterns and replace patterns SO simple. You’ll be up and running in no time. If you are already a pro, it has built-in macros to speed you up. It is super fast even with LARGE files. It processed a text document with 1.3 million characters in under 0.04 seconds.
The user interface is well-designed and easy to use. The app is well worth the money.
I’ve tried several regex tools, and this one is the best I’ve tried. It supports both searching and replacing, showing the found source text, the regex matches, and the replaced text results. The syntax coloring of the regex is very helpful, as is the coloring of the source, and matched text. I also like the search time, to help improve search performance. Many tools have some or the other of the above, but not all.
- Category: Developer Tools
- Updated: Sep 25, 2013
- Version: 1.8.1
- Size: 11.7 MB
- Languages: English, Bengali, Dutch, French, German, Italian
- Seller: Kem Tekinay
- ©2013 by MacTechnologies Consulting.
Compatibility: OS X 10.6.6 or later