Reiner Knizia's Monumental
By Conlan Rios
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
YOUR JOURNEY BEGINS
A hidden temple has been discovered! Will the Mayan gods be pleased with your progress or will you bring their wrath upon you like countless others before...
Prepare yourself for this new puzzler designed by award winning game designer, Reiner Knizia!
HOW TO PLAY
- Swipe stones to the left or right to fill rows.
- Rows are scored on 3 matching colors, 3 matching symbols, or 3 matching number of symbols. Rows that contain identical pairs of stones also score.
- Combine matches across rows to score even higher.
- Broken stones can only be scored by color and do not match in any other way.
- Drag dynamite onto unwanted stones to destroy them. You receive new dynamite when the supply truck reaches your base camp.
GAME OVER WHEN
- Challenge mode: when the bottom row displaying skulls is scored.
- Action mode: when you you run of time. You receive a time penalty when the bottom row displaying hourglasses is scored.
- Designed exclusively for iPhone/iPod Touch. From the ground up.
- Multiple game modes. Play Challenge to test your long term planning skills or Action for your mental reflexes.
- Beat the record. Top 50 high scores for world, country and personal for measuring your progress.
- Game saver. Close the app to answer a call, text or email. Your current game will pause and resume next time you play.
- Immersive music and effects. But don't worry, you'll have the option to listen to your own instead.
For game news and updates:
Game Design by Reiner Knizia
Game Development by Conlan Rios
Artwork by Vaclav Jakubek
Music composed by Mike Weiser, www.mikeweisermusic.com (ASCAP)
Please be sure you're running firmware version 3.0 or higher on your iPhone or iPod Touch. For best results, please reboot your device before playing Monumental.
For 1 player.
KNOWN ISSUES (fix in progress)
- Tweeting scores on Twitter
Finally, a puzzle game that requires thought!
If you are bored with iPhone puzzle games that are all the slightest of variations from the usual match-3 gameplay, then Monumental is the puzzle game you have been looking for. It requires strategy and planning, and comes off as wholly unique. I esspecially like the Mayan (or is it Aztec?) theme that gives the graphics character and life. This is one game you will come back to time and again. But what else would you expect from the mind of game designer Dr. Knizia?
Once you know the trick. . .
This game was very hard to put down in the beginning. Once you figure out the game, however, it becomes very monotonous. The game is beautifully presented, the music is cool, but that doesn't save it from going quickly to your iPod's dustbin after you learn to beat it. Then it just becomes a tedious sliding of bricks and clearing the levels. Unfortunately, the difficulty level eventually "levels" out. It's definitely worth $1.99, though.
Love Knizia's board games, but this is just "meh"
This game is lacking something. You do your best to make scoring sets with the tiles that come down the chute and that's about it. Even the timed "action" mode fails to excite me since there's little sense of urgency.
Maybe if it just added some exciting sound effects to indicate the various completed sets (ala the brilliant sound design of Bejeweled 2) it might bring some much needed pizazz to this otherwise lackluster game. I don't think the dynamite even makes a sound (does it?).
- Category: Games
- Released: Nov 04, 2009
- Version: 1.0
- Size: 6.3 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Conlan Rios
- © 2009, Dr. Reiner Knizia
Compatibility: Requires iOS 3.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.