Reiner Knizia's Samurai
By Conlan Rios
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
It's a time of strife in feudal Japan and you dream of one day becoming Shogun and eventually Emperor.
Your goal is to gain the most influence from the 3 major castes: the Samurai, the Clergy, and the Peasant in this popular turn-based strategy game designed by award-winning game designer, Reiner Knizia.
- Battle against the AI.
- Pass 'n Play with your friends.
- Internet multiplayer with Push Notifications.
- Universal app with native iPad support.
- Fully featured online profiles with ELO ratings, global ranking, achievement levels, and game statistics.
- In-depth tutorial.
"The Must List: What's Hot for the Week"
-- Entertainment Weekly
"...Beautiful graphics, online capability, and tried and true game play make this a no-brainer for board game fans..."
"...Samurai really shines when it comes to online multiplayer..."
"...a very playable version of an excellent German-style board game..."
"...strategy gaming perfection..."
"...both thought-provoking and enjoyable..."
"...a great new addition to the Knizia library..."
-- State of Play, The Gaming Blog
"Editors Choice Award"
Original Board Game Design by Reiner Knizia
Game Development by Conlan Rios
Artwork by Vaclav Jakubek
AI Programming by neXus
Music composed by Mike Weiser,
If you like this, be sure to check out the original board game by Rio Grande Games! (www.riograndegames.com)
Please be sure you're running firmware version 3.0 or higher on your device.
For 1 to 4 players.
What's New in Version 1.15
- iOS 4 Multitasking support.
- Minor UI Fixes.
- Minor internal fixes.
This is not a 5 star app
Great effort, but extremely lacking. These games should look to Carcassonne for inspiration. I wish they had half the production quality.
1. There is no realtime game support for multiplayer. You play turn based waiting any where from 1 hour to 3 days in order to take your turn. Some times it's sooner, but you can't complete a game in one sitting, as they take days to finish.
2. The option to have a 5 minute turn game is disabled. It says the option will be released in a future update. It's been over two years and still no update. Again, this means the minimum turn wait is 1 hour.
3. Foolishly, your available tiles are hidden from you when it's not your turn, preventing you from planning ahead. I can't for the life me imagine the thought behind this design decision. If you are playing a game in one sitting, you end up staring at a block of wood with Japanese symbol until the push notification shows up that it's your turn.
4. No Game Center integration.
5. Options menu not available from multiplayer, forcing you to log out to adjust settings, then log back in.
6. Support is not responsive. Sent them an email and yet to hear back, 6 weeks later.
7. Password for multiplayer account is stored in plane text and emailed to you. Don't use anything important.
This could have been much more. It's a shame. I'm disappointed. Look no further the trash that Catan developer came out with.
Hope the developer still has plans for this game.
My most used app
My husband and I are both addicted to this game. We've never played the board game, only learned on the iPad app. Love the international ratings system, and that the developers created a tournament for the top players. Really a great experience all-round. Would love to see some additional maps for added challenge, perhaps a better-looking chat area for the online games (it feels very dated, allows limited writing space), and even some 3D effects to make things a little more visually appealing. Other than that, it's a steal for $5, as I've seen the board game sold in stores for $35... And this app gets a lot more use than a board game. Look for me to play a Samurai game online... ID is "vegangirl". :)
I have played and own a number of Reiner Knizia's board games. I think this is a great app. It can be played solitaire against the AI which is fairly good. I suggest learning to play in solitaire mode. The online games which allow for turn based play each (5 min, 1 hr, 12hr, 24 hr, or 72 hr) period keeps me paying just a little each day. The head to head hand off is not quite as satisfying as a regular board game, but at the reduced cost and mobility that tablet play (IPad) offers you can't pass this up. I hope others enjoy this game. Also I enjoy playing a game online that I pay for just one time and then don't have multiple "incentives" to pay more to speed up play or improve my situation. I like this app because it is a challenging old fashioned strategy game.
- Category: Games
- Updated: Dec 20, 2010
- Version: 1.15
- Size: 32.4 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Conlan Rios
- © 2010, Dr. Reiner Knizia
Compatibility: Requires iOS 3.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.