By Luis Artola
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Use your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch as a wireless keyboard and trackpad for your Raspberry Pi!
This universal application lets you send keystrokes and mouse events to you Raspberry Pi computers over TCP/IP via a wired or wireless network.
Remote Pi is ideal for making the best out of a Raspberry Pi in the living room, or office too. Use for:
- Text editing
- Controlling media players
- Do everything in your Raspberry Pi computer that you would normally do with a traditional keyboard and mouse/trackpad, even programming!
- Keep the two USB ports in your Raspberry Pi Model B free when using wired network.
- Keep one USB port free when using a WiFi USB dongle.
- Very inexpensive compared to wireless hardware keyboards and trackpad alternatives. Besides, it's good for the environment: reuse a wireless mobile device you already own instead of buying yet another hardware input gadget.
- If you develop applications and gadgets for your Raspberry Pi, you could use Remote Pi as a remote controller if you program your application to respond to regular keyboard and mouse events.
Three easy steps:
1. Download this application on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch.
2. Download and install a driver for your Raspberry Pi at http://remotepi.io
3. Run application and connect to your Raspberry Pi using its hostname or IP address. And, you're set!
More enhancements coming soon.
Visit http://remotepi.io for more information.
What's New in Version 1.2
- New immediate keyboard mode! Now you can send all keystrokes as you type them immediately to your connected Raspberry Pi.
- Simply tap the button with the orange lightning icon next to the input text field to toggle between buffered keystrokes (default) and immediate mode.
Not only does it work perfectly, but the support is wonderful - my questions were answered in no time.
You can use the app anywhere; just make your iPhone a hotspot and connect the RPi. It's the ideal solution for me, since I'll need to access my RPi on the go.
I was actually shocked with how well it works - no latency, connection issues or anything. Bravissimo!!!
Sometimes it kinda does disconnect for a brief period but it's rare. Needed a keyboard better than one cheap garbage one I bought a while ago so this helps. Only made for if you're gonna need to visit websites or stuff like that. Not so much to write papers. (I mean you could but I wouldn't recommend so.. lol) Wish this was made to be connected via Bluetooth though 😅. Also, better keyboard maybe. All in all it's a decent keyboard for decent things.
I bought and had trouble connecting to my pi3 from my iPhone. I emailed Luis the dev and within minutes he helped me solve the problem. Works great!