By Avery deGruchy
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Rename It is an easy-to-use batch file* renaming tool that saves you time and energy.
• A simple to use interface makes renaming your files easy.
• Save your customized renaming schemes for future use.
• A handy preview window allows you to see the original file names as well as a live preview of the final file names.
• When renaming files, you can replace the original files, move the newly named files, or copy the newly named files.
• Drop files on the app icon in the dock to quickly add files to the renaming list.
• Use system services to quickly select files from the Finder to rename (You may need to log out and back in before this takes effect).
• Rename It remembers your settings and files from the previous session.
• QuickLook files right from the file list.
• Add Text: Allows you to add given text before or after the file's base name or extension.
• Add Date: Allows you to insert a chosen date, the current date, the file's date created, or the file's date modified into the file name.
• Change Case: Allows you to change a file's name to lowercase, uppercase, or title case.
• Insert Text: Allows you to insert given text at a given point in the file name.
• Remove Text: Allows you to remove a given number of characters from the beginning of the file name, the end of the file name, or within a range.
• Replace Text: Allows you to replace given text with other text.
• Make Sequential: Allows you to append a running count to the file's original name, or a new name.
*Please Note: Rename It does not currently support renaming folders.
What's New in Version 1.4.1
- Fixed a bug that prevented Rename It from launching after quitting the app with files left in the file list.
What's new in version 1.4:
- Added the ability to save renaming schemes for future use.
- Rename It remembers the renaming scheme, file list, and output options from the previous session.
- New preference enables you to turn on/off alerts for items that were not added to the file list.
- New icon
- Fixed an issue that prevented preferences from saving.
- Fixed an issue where '/' turned to ':' and prevented rename.
- Fixed an issue where dates were off by a day due to a time zone localization error.
- Fixed an issue where copying to the original location does nothing.
- Other bug fixes.
Great lil app - but issue with 1.4 and 1.4.1
I agree with clocker918's comment below - The latest revision has a flaw that renders the app worthless. When you add the files, it's doing so in a random fashion. I tried to sort my files in many ways to see how's it sorting it but I can't figure it out! Looks like it will just list files in a random order and I cannot correctly rename my files. Please correct this bug asap!
Just got a quick reply from the support team - "In the meantime, please add your files to Rename It using one of the alternative methods to avoid this issue. This issue seems to only happen if you add files using the add button or the "Add Files..." option from the File menu. If you drag the files from the Finder to the file list in Rename It, the files will be loaded in the same order they appear in the Finder. This also works if you select the desired files in the Finder, right click on the files, and choose "Rename with Rename It."
Great little app!
There are a few apps in the App Store that do batch renames and I've used a few but this one is by far the best. It's simple, straightforward and convenient with a lot of flexibility. Well worth the price. This may sound superficial, but I am glad this latest version has replaced the ugly old icon.
Latest Revision Problem
The latest revision has a flaw that renders the app worthless. Specifically, I frequently update files I have in sequential order. However, in this latest revision when you select sequential files for rename, the app places them in the list in a wholly random fashion. Consequently, once the rename has been completed the files are no longer in the same order, but are renamed in a random fashion. This really needs to be corrected!
- Category: Utilities
- Updated: Jul 01, 2013
- Version: 1.4.1
- Size: 2.0 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Avery deGruchy
- © 2011-2013 Avery deGruchy
Compatibility: OS X 10.6.8 or later, 64-bit processor