By Dino Angelov
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
→ "Now it is a great app. Keeping its simplicity, this version solves small flaws and now is perfect. Plus the images are superb." ~ amoyag
→ "Simple but flexible and does the job just right" ~ n4al
→ "Now it's great!" ~ hkyplayr10
Make yourself more rested AND more productive.
Rest is a minimal OS X app that sits in your menubar and reminds you to take a break every now and then. Improve your productivity and keep your eyes healthy.
• Pomodoro support. With custom intervals and an optional longer 4th break, you can now use the Pomodoro time management technique with Rest.
• An unobtrusive, beautiful menubar indicator.
• NEW! An advance notice countdown so you can wrap up work before you head for your break. (optional)
• Beautiful, full-screen break reminders (optional).
• Rest.app can now suggest exercise ideas for you. Just find the option in the preferences window.
• Pause for a set period of time. Never forget to activate Rest again after watching a movie.
• Make sure you take your breaks. Just tell Rest to prevent you from working during breaks and you'll have to step away from the computer until your break is over. Warning: Apart from restarting your computer, there will be no way to continue working. All your apps will continue to run as normal in the background.
• 12 soothing sounds to pick from - from a decisive gong to a beautiful piano melody.
• Automatic break detection (optional) - step away from your computer to "take your break", even if it's earlier or later than planned. Rest adjusts automatically.
* Note: images available with the full-screen break notifications vary from system to system. The break exercises shown do not constitute medical advice.
What's New in Version 1.8
• Advance notice countdown allows you to finish up your work before heading for your break
• Postpone your break directly from the advance notice banner
• Option to never count breaks during a work period, even if you're not using the computer for a while
• Break numbers would advance when postponing breaks, causing issues with the Pomodoro technique, this has been fixed
• Postpone dropdown in the full-screen break notifications is now faster and more reliable
a great way to remind to take a break…and it just got better
Dino, the developer, has always been respnsive to me and my requests. I always liked the idea of an app that would help remind me to take a break…even if only for a few seconds (which is customizable). Now, the thing that annoyed me the most has been solved by a new feature, that being, when a break is about to happen, ‘Rest' gently reminds me that a break is about to occur. That way, I am not surprised right in the middle of doing something, and I can anticipate breaking away early or finishing up the task at hand or even asking Rest to postpone the break. So Dino, I don’t know who’s idea that was, but it is the one thing that now makes Rest a five star winner for me. Thanks. :-)