By DevToaster, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
RUNNING iOS 6? Make sure you are running iOS 6.0.1! There is a bug in iOS 6.0 related to Wi-Fi networks!
Other problems? Check the following manual:
If that doesn't help, you can review the older manual which has specific network setup information in it:
Some people have had success when adding a subnet mask to their network settings for the hardware device; others by setting a static IP address.
Rev is THE premier iOS application for auto enthusiasts. Rev monitors, records, and displays real-time data by interacting with your car's onboard diagnostic system. It can also check and reset "Check Engine" lights, trouble codes, and much more! DO NOT BUY THIS APP UNTIL YOU HAVE READ AND UNDERSTOOD THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION:
1. You *MUST* purchase an extra hardware device for Rev to work. The following devices are compatible:
- Kiwi Wifi, PLX Devices (www.plxdevices.com)
- ElmCanII-WLAN, CarCode-Muller (www.obd-2.net)
- OBDKey WLAN, KBM Systems (www.kbmsystems.net)
2. DevToaster *CANNOT* issue software refunds.
3. Before purchasing Rev, download Rev Lite from the App Store, to check compatibility with your car and with your OBD-II device. Rev Lite is a free, but limited, version of Rev which will show you which OBD-II metrics are available. Unfortunately, we are not able to tell you which metrics are available for your specific vehicle.
4. Further information, including the FAQ and the Rev manual, is available at: http://www.devtoaster.com/products/rev/
Rev 2.0 has a great suite of features:
- Display up to 5 metrics with Rev's customizable, drag-and-drop interface.
- Store details about your vehicle so Rev can accurately calculate horsepower and other metrics.
- Give any metric a redline value.
- Show values using metric or imperial units.
- Automatically adjust the minimum and maximum value displayed on a gauge.
- Check, translate, and reset engine trouble codes.
- Log data based on time or GPS coordinates.
- Record, display, and chart your cornering, braking, and acceleration G-forces.
- Help perfect your cornering habits by using the device's GPS to learn about your acceleration and braking using the GPS Track.
- Save time and money and check your emissions before going to the shop! Readiness monitors include 11 vehicle tests that your vehicle must have "ready" before it can pass emissions tests in most states. Rev will tell you which tests are supported for your vehicle, and whether or not they are ready. Some great info can be found here: http://www.wivip.com/monitor052108.pdf
- Use Rev to connect to PLX's extensible iMFD sensor system.
- Monitor the following metrics (availability depends on the vehicle itself):
Fuel Consumption (may be inaccurate or unavailable on some diesel vehicles)
Boost Pressure (may be inaccurate on piggyback turbo systems or unavailable on some VW cars that advertise boost exclusively on proprietary protocols)
Engine Coolant Temp
Calculated Engine Load
Intake Manifold Pressure
Air Intake Temp
Mass Air Flow
EVAP System Vapor Pressure
Proud Winner of the 2009 Popular Mechanics Editor's Choice Award!
"In the automotive sphere, there aren't nearly as many quality applications and even fewer that can deliver the information most gearheads crave. Thankfully, DevToaster has answered the call with Rev." -- AutoBlog
"For any car enthusiast with an iPhone this is a really cool and useful app." -- mp3Car.com
"This is by far the ultimate performance application." -- Auto India Magazine
As seen in:
- AutoBlog: http://bit.ly/1IRFGw
- The New York Times: http://tinyurl.com/rev-nytimes
- Motor Magazine: http://tinyurl.com/rev-motor
What's New in Version 2.0.2
+ Re-enabled support for iPhone OS 3.0
+ Improved support for certain hardware configurations
+ Stability improvements
Desperately needs update!
I paid $40 for this app, so I expect it to be the best darn app ever. It has some killer features - obviously the hardware integration is unbeatable. But I am extremely disappointed with the development. There hasn't been an update in MONTHS! Let me explain the problems:
1. Background functionality. I use my phone for Maps/GPS and playing music while driving. I try to leave Rev running and recording data for later analysis, but if I switch to another app, all the recorded data is gone - without even a prompt to save. This is very frustrating, because my primary use for this software is data logging.
2. Custom red-line. The tachometer gauge goes up to 10k RPM. My car will never get anywhere close to that, so the majority of my gauge is being wasted. It will let you set a custom maximum, but only by revving your engine as high as you feel safe doing —a waste of fuel. And then you have to redo that every time you start the car. Ridiculous. There needs to be a simple textbox where I can enter the max RPM's to display for each car.
3. Graphics quality. Come on people, the iPhone 4 has been out for how many months now? Over a year. And you still can't update the stupid graphics so they don't look pixelated! I would expect this from a piece of junk free app, but not from an app I paid $40 for.
Fix these basic, glaring problems immediately, and then spend time doing real development, and making this ridiculously priced software better!
Like most, I think this is a great app. Would be great to see other display configs and a way to see more than 5 parameters using landscape. Also would like a way to save custom displays. You can save your choices but it doesn't seem to remember individual gauge settings. My tach goes to 7000RPM with a 5000RPM redline... I can set the min and max, but when I exit and reenter the app, the gauge is back to default. I'm not a huge car junkie, but its nice to see what the vehicle is doing outside of what the dashboard is showing you. Helps maximize driving habits while saving on fuel. Obviously for the car enthusiast the data is invaluable. One weird thing I noticed is turning off the kiwi while keeping it plugged in can mess with your dashboard. The Rev app reported a Speedometer error. It took about 1/4 mile of driving for the dashboard to kick in. Starting the car with the Kiwi On and keeping it on resulted in normal operation. This was repeatable (NOT a Rev app issue, but beware...leave the Kiwi on or just unplug it). Toyota FJ.
No update in 3 years. Do not buy this app!!!
Been using this for over a year. It's really neat, and that's about it. It's not useful in any way. You can't export the logged data so that you can view it in a different way. You can't zoom when viewing the log, so viewing 30 minutes worth of data, takes FOREVER. The gauges are pretty sweet, but I wish there were different configurations and layouts. Like maybe 2 round gauges on the screen in portrait mode. It would also be nice to have just one LARGE digital gauge in the middle rather than an analog and teeny-tiny digital gauge. If it can't read the car's VIN, it won't save any info about the car (name, weight, calibration, custom gauge settings,etc). There are a few readings that aren't available, that are available in other apps via the kiwi wifi (i.e. oxygen sensor voltages). It would also be really nice if it were fully compatible with the iPad, but it works well enough in pixel doubling mode. Readings can be very inaccurate if a cellular connection is made. Airplane mode with wifi on is a must for reliable data.
- Category: Sports
- Updated: Jan 14, 2010
- Version: 2.0.2
- Size: 2.2 MB
- Languages: English, German
- Seller: DevToaster, LLC
- © DevToaster
Compatibility: Requires iOS 3.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.