Rhyming Bus: sounds for spelling + reading
By Therapy Box Limited
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Rhyme judgement is a key skill for early reading and speech development. Help Dubdub and his friends board the rhyming bus! 6 characters wait at the bus stop, but only those with a word that rhymes with the word the bus displays can get on. Children drag the characters onto the bus, and when there are 4 rhyming words on the bus, the bus will drive off!
Designed by a speech therapist and brought to life in a fun game designed for early readers.
Uniquely illustrated with a choice of either a London or New York skyline, this app is sure to engage early readers and their parents alike!
* each game has 4 words to match to the target word
* three levels of difficulty means the app can be used as your child's ability improves
* choose to have a symbol + text, or text only, depending on your child's level
* uses Widget symbols which are used in schools across the world, designed to support literacy
* choose how many buses to play in each game (5, 10 or 15)
* switch between New York or London streetscapes for added fun
* tap on each word to hear it spoken aloud for added help
* hear the words in either a British or American accent
* fun and engaging reward animations at the end of each game
* clear illustrated report at the end of each game, allows you to view the errors and success
* share the report with teachers, parents or speech therapists
Come along with Dubdub on his latest adventure...
What's New in Version 1.1
App optimized for iOS9.
Cute App with Great potential, just needs some tweaks
Very cute format for an app to practice rhyming words. I do like that there are variations in spelling. This way children have to listen for rhyming parts rather than just match a spelling pattern visually. I do have some suggestions.
1. One of the rhyming pictures is "bar" with graphics of an alcohol bottle, martini and mug of beer? Totally not appropriate for a school setting. That choice should be replaced.
2. It states in the description that only the rhyming animals can get on the bus. I was able to choose pictures that did not rhyme. There was a small sound to indicate an error and the background of the picture changed color but since they are pastel, it was hard to notice. The bus drove off with the non- rhyming picture on board anyway. One idea would be for a non-rhyming picture to be "bounced" off the bus when chosen, have it return to the line up of pictures with a large red X on it to make it clear that the animal could not get on the bus since it didn't rhyme. An appropriate negative sound effect could go with it.
"Heater" and "cheetah" do not rhyme!!!!! Otherwise nice! Please fix in update!
- Category: Education
- Updated: Oct 16, 2015
- Version: 1.1
- Size: 310 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Therapy Box Limited
- © 2011 Therapy Box Limited
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.