By Jonathan Ensminger
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
● Added a MIDI send button to main tap interface.
● Several bug fixes.
v. 3.1.3 -
● MIDI - Rhythm Lab can now send MIDI out as well as receive MIDI input - set the option in MIDI settings. Also allows recognition of Bluetooth MIDI devices.
● New rhythm patterns - featuring rhythms for "Rhythm - Make It Count" series by Leila Viss.
● Expanded User Stats reports - now users can see most recent as well as high scores for all completed exercises, and also see the total number of completed attempts for each exercise (starting with this version 3.1.3).
● Bug fixes.
v. 3.1 - added MIDI input compatibility, more tap options.
Rhythm Lab is a comprehensive rhythm app that tests your skill and coordination. There are four types of drills: single, double, drum, and drum kit.
Rhythm Lab features:
● Preset rhythm patterns covering a wide variety of levels and types.
● Custom pattern creation: create new patterns from scratch, copy and edit existing patterns, and generate new patterns randomly.
● Share custom pattern sets - export pattern sets and email them or share via storage apps such as Dropbox.
● Create worksheets using preset or custom rhythm patterns.
● Create individual users and track high scores.
● Audiobus compatibility - Rhythm Lab is an input for Audiobus, allowing you to record patterns or add special effects to the sounds with any other compatible Audiobus apps.
Rhythm Lab is designed for students, teachers, and any musician who would like to improve rhythmic performance and accuracy. There is a large number of patterns of all types, including:
● 10 levels of single- and two-handed rhythm patterns similar to rhythms found in standardized music exams
● Special patterns that emphasize certain types of rhythm notation, like rests, ties, triplets, quintuplets, cross-rhythms (2 against 3, 3 against 4), unusual meters.
● Custom patterns that users can create and share, using a wide range of rhythm values, rests, ties, dots, time signatures, and tuplet values.
● Composer patterns: rhythm patterns from works by classical composers such as Bach, Beethoven, Brahms, Debussy, Gottschalk, Haydn, Joplin, and Mozart.
● Single-line (snare style) for Right and Left hand (color coded and marked R or L).
● Drum kit: three pads - hi hat, snare, and kick drum. Drum pad positions are easily interchangeable by simply dragging pads to swap positions.
● Rhythm Lab uses a Soundfont to provide an entire range of sounds from the General MIDI sound set.
● Users can select from a large number of sounds, drum kit types, and even change the pitch of the tap pads.
What's New in Version 3.1.5
● Fixes a critical bug which was causing the app to crash when updating from previous versions.
● Corrects the page size and boundaries when creating and sharing User Statistics or Worksheet pdf files.
BEST app For music students
I have been teaching piano for 30 years and love the apps available that make learning more interesting for students.
This Rhythm Lab app is the BEST I have seen for students of all levels. Very user friendly and fun to use. Well worth the purchase price.
I thought I already had a lot the best music education apps, but am SO glad I found this one.
The Ivory League Piano Studio
Fabulous rhythm trainer
I have been playing piano for a while, but my intrinsic rhythmic feel is off a bit and I have purchased quite a few training apps hoping to improve. Not quite satisfied, I found Rhythm Lab and am now amazed.
The design is simple yet intuitive, there are plenty of patterns to choose from diverse categories, but even better you can access an infinite number of patterns by utilizing the simple to use create function.
This app is a great resource for both students and teachers, but anyone interested in improving their rhythmic understanding and precision should definitely consider Rhythm Lab. Heck, you can even practice paradiddles and play a 3 finger drum set for more comprehensive challenges.
I mentioned my rhythmic challenges, and since using this app on a daily basis, I already have quantifiable proof of improvement, which is essential for me to reach my playing goals.
Superb app, well done!