By Jonathan Ensminger
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Rhythm Lab is a comprehensive rhythm trainer and worksheet creator. Rhythm Lab allows you to create a virtually unlimited number of custom rhythm patterns for one or two separate rhythm lines, right-left handed drum patterns, and basic drum kit patterns (hi-hat, snare, and kick drum).
Rhythm Lab is compatible with Audiobus 2 and MIDI, allowing for many sound and input options. Custom rhythm patterns can be saved and imported into different instances of Rhythm Lab running on different iPads. An unlimited number of users can be added, saved, and imported to give teachers the ability to track students' progress. User group data can be saved and imported into different instances of Rhythm Lab running on different iPads. Settings menus allow you to control tempo settings, color themes, tapping options, sound options, and MIDI options.
● Provides color theme options - eight different color themes to choose from!
● Bug fixes - user files that have been saved to an external location now can be loaded without causing the app to crash.
● Tap Screen controls have been streamlined to give a cleaner look.
Rhythm Lab features:
● Preset rhythm patterns covering a wide variety of levels and types.
● Custom pattern creation: create new patterns from scratch, copy and edit existing patterns, and generate new patterns randomly.
● Share custom pattern sets - export pattern sets and email them or share via storage apps such as Dropbox.
● Create worksheets using preset or custom rhythm patterns.
● Create individual users and track high scores.
● Audiobus compatibility - Rhythm Lab is an input for Audiobus, allowing you to record patterns or add special effects to the sounds with any other compatible Audiobus apps.
Rhythm Lab is designed for students, teachers, and any musician who would like to improve rhythmic performance and accuracy. There is a large number of patterns of all types, including:
● Multiple levels of single- and two-handed rhythm patterns similar to rhythms found in standardized music exams
● Special patterns that emphasize certain types of rhythm notation, like rests, ties, triplets, quintuplets, cross-rhythms (2 against 3, 3 against 4), unusual meters.
● Custom patterns that users can create and share, using a wide range of rhythm values, rests, ties, dots, time signatures, and tuplet values.
● Composer patterns: rhythm patterns from works by classical composers such as Bach, Beethoven, Brahms, Debussy, Gottschalk, Haydn, Joplin, and Mozart.
● Single-line (snare style) for Right and Left hand (color coded and marked R or L).
● Drum kit: three pads - hi hat, snare, and kick drum. Drum pad positions are easily interchangeable by simply dragging pads to swap positions.
● Rhythm Lab uses a Soundfont to provide an entire range of sounds from the General MIDI sound set.
● Users can select from a large number of sounds, drum kit types, and even change the pitch of the tap pads.
What's New in Version 3.2
Version 3.2 provides color theme options - eight different color themes to choose from!
Bug fixes - user files that have been saved to an external location now can be loaded without causing the app to crash.
The Rhythm Lab website is now accessible directly from links on the Information screen.
Tap Screen controls have been streamlined to give a cleaner look.