By Alessandro De Nardi
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Ricepad Lite is modular live music at your fingertips. It has recently won the italian REWf award for the best artistic and creative iPhone app. Check out the promo and the tutorial videos on the website.
Loop, Resample, Remix, Filter and Create Sound Sequences
With Ricepad Lite you create music by arranging objects called modules in a single chain. You start from existing sounds, freely available from the constantly updating library, or import them from your computer (Mac/PC/Linux/…), or you can use the microphone(*). Then the combination of modules you compose, divided between audio sources and effects, will manipulate the sound in an unexpectedly great number or ways.
Oriented To Live Music Performances
Ricepad Lite allows you to create music that is immediately listenable to the audience: less editing and much more playing with the quick and simple interface. For example, if you like beat boxing, you can live record yourself through the mic, record a sequence and play it back as a loop, ready to be post processed or resampled, everything in sync with the bpm, e.g. quantized at 1/16. Nearly every interaction can be quantized, even the preview of audio clips when you want to set up a drum kit.
Inspirations On The Go With Your iPhone & iPod Touch
Ricepad Lite has an extensive set of modules and offers many different techniques to create music easily and quickly, leaving room to unleash your creativity. Ricepad Lite is suitable for casual and short plays, as well as for long and more structured live performances.
Check out the main features.
- simple and original workflow to connect modules - audio sources or effects
- 16 bit, 44100Hz quality
- very low latency
- low CPU consumption, allowing a smooth experience even on older devices
- built-in library of loops and sample kits
- constantly updating sound packs, downloadable for free
- optional temporal quantization of most interactions per module
- recoverable session (autosave)
- import/export functions for personal audio files and sessions, supported in three ways including iTunes File Sharing
File Player / Recorder
- support for a lot of audio formats (wav, aif, mp3, m4a…) with different sample rates
- loop with programmable parameters
- set/get cue points for seeking in real time
Sampler & Resampler
- loading single files or sample kits (groups of 4 files)
- live resampling of the currently executing audio
- live sampling from the mic line with the microphonic variation of the module
- programmable step sequencer, 1/16 resolution, up to 4 bars
- live playing/recording of a sequence
- clip specific parameters: volume, pan, loop mode (none, hold or toggle), reverse, choke group
- compressor, decimator, dub delay, lowpass and highpass filters, phaser, reverb, ring modulator and wave shaper
- all with the same XY pad controller interface
- microphone module (takes the mic line) with crossfader
- tempo control 60-200 bpm (not dynamically applicable with loops) + metronome
- peak indicators
- built-in tutorials
- built-in manual
- iPad compatibility in 2x mode
- plays along with iTunes music
- ...and a lot of fun!
* if your device hasn't an integrated microphone, you have to connect an external microphone for this function
What's New in Version 1.4
- Reverb module has been rewritten
- Added customizable label for Sampler module
- Added option for disabling lockable buttons
- Fixed bug concerning upgraders from v1.2 which could not see the new per-module quantization settings
- Fixed bug: now stopping the audio from the Tempo module resets the File Player's file position
- Fixed bug on the Sampler's sequencer that sometimes didn't trigger looping clips on freshly loaded sessions
- Fixed bug on Metronome, which could damage the sound
- Fixed bug: sometimes an effect's knob's label could change between "lev" and "wet"
Delightful & quirky
Bonus star since its free. Little patience learning how this works pays off. Sweet emulation of scratch pad f/x.