Rick Steves' Audio Europe™
By Rick Steves
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
This app organizes the vast and varied library of Rick Steves’ audio content into geographic-specific playlists so that travelers can enjoy ready access to the information that relates specifically to their travel plans. Many tracks provide general cultural and sightseeing information gleaned from his public radio program, Travel with Rick Steves. Other tracks are self-guided tours to great sights and historic walks. While we travel there’s lots of down time, and this application can both entertain and teach. Rick Steves Audio Europe will hopefully make your European travels more meaningful and more fun.
• The app downloads and stores audio files on your device. No Wi-Fi or cellphone connection is required to listen. (You will need a connection if you choose to add audio tracks later.)
• Handy maps (PDF) that complement the self-guided audio tours can be viewed on your device or printed from any computer.
• The audio content originates from Rick Steves guidebooks and the Travel with Rick Steves public radio program. Self-guided tours are excerpted from Rick Steves country and city guidebooks.
• Rick Steves Audio Europe is a work in progress. New audio tracks will be added and existing tracks updated as necessary. Be sure to enable Notifications for this app to get the latest updates.
• iPhone or iPod Touch running iOS 4 or later.
• A Wi-Fi or cellphone connection is required to download audio files.
What's New in Version 2.0.4
Fixed an issue that caused podcast download failures in certain situations.
Worked amazingly well in France
I cannot recommend this app enough. I downloaded prior to a trip to France, and listened to almost every interview Rick Steves provided on Paris, and beyond Paris. The interviews were informative, light hearted, and seriously educational. My girlfriend and I downloaded the "self-guides tours" that we're offered for France. We used the Versailles tour, Musee d'Orsay, and Historic Walking Tour of Downtown. They were all wonderful. We popped in our headphones and had Rick walking us around like pros. We discovered places, sites, and histories, that we would never have noticed or appreciated without following the self-guided audio tours. The Historic downtown tour, and Versailles were the best. The Musee d'Orsay tour needs revamping since the museum is undergoing renovation, but we managed to use portions of that audio tour at the l'Orangerie, as many of the impressionist painters were featured in both museums. Great app, download as much as you can before your trip, and enjoy!
Audio Europe - day 1
Just downloaded the app. Leaving for Europe in about 2 weeks. Glad I downloaded this in advance. After you download this app you then need to download the actual content from inside the app. Suggestion 1, make it possible to download the content via iTunes, then sync to the device. The downloads take forever and it’s a lot of data, so be sure you are on wifi vs cellular data. If you set your device down as soon as the screen saver lock kicks in the download stops. If you go settings/general/auto lock (set it to never), the device won’t turn off / lock the display - so your downloads will continue without having to pay attention to the device. This is a significant downside to someone who’s trying to download content while mobile, sans charger.
Suggestion 2 - allow the downloads to continue after the auto lock kicks in.
Been a big fan of Rick Steve for while and is show. And when I found out that I would go to Paris for my honeymoon I knew I had to get his guide book for Paris. Then I found out about the app and made things come to life. I downloaded the app and downloaded the Paris playlist tracks to Company me and my guidebook. Let me say first that this isn't only audio but multi interactive with Maps photos and easy clips to listen to with interviews and got step by step guides on the way it feels like Rick Steves is with you on your tour , amazing! Haven't used it in Paris yet but definitely will enjoy it!!! Thanks rick and happy travels :-)
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Travel
- Updated: Aug 16, 2013
- Version: 2.0.4
- Size: 14.6 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: RICK STEVES' EUROPE THROUGH THE BACK DOOR, INC
- © 2011 Rick Steves' Europe Through the Back Door, Inc
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.