Rick Steves' Audio Europe™
By Rick Steves
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
This app organizes the vast and varied library of Rick Steves’ audio content into geographic-specific playlists so that travelers can enjoy ready access to the information that relates specifically to their travel plans. Many tracks provide general cultural and sightseeing information gleaned from his public radio program, Travel with Rick Steves. Other tracks are self-guided tours to great sights and historic walks. While we travel there’s lots of down time, and this application can both entertain and teach. Rick Steves Audio Europe will hopefully make your European travels more meaningful and more fun.
• The app downloads and stores audio files on your device. No Wi-Fi or cellphone connection is required to listen. (You will need a connection if you choose to add audio tracks later.)
• Handy maps (PDF) that complement the self-guided audio tours can be viewed on your device or printed from any computer.
• The audio content originates from Rick Steves guidebooks and the Travel with Rick Steves public radio program. Self-guided tours are excerpted from Rick Steves country and city guidebooks.
• Rick Steves Audio Europe is a work in progress. New audio tracks will be added and existing tracks updated as necessary. Be sure to enable Notifications for this app to get the latest updates.
• iPhone or iPod Touch running iOS 4 or later.
• A Wi-Fi or cellphone connection is required to download audio files.
What's New in Version 2.0.4
Fixed an issue that caused podcast download failures in certain situations.
Audio Europe - day 1
Just downloaded the app. Leaving for Europe in about 2 weeks. Glad I downloaded this in advance. After you download this app you then need to download the actual content from inside the app. Suggestion 1, make it possible to download the content via iTunes, then sync to the device. The downloads take forever and it’s a lot of data, so be sure you are on wifi vs cellular data. If you set your device down as soon as the screen saver lock kicks in the download stops. If you go settings/general/auto lock (set it to never), the device won’t turn off / lock the display - so your downloads will continue without having to pay attention to the device. This is a significant downside to someone who’s trying to download content while mobile, sans charger.
Suggestion 2 - allow the downloads to continue after the auto lock kicks in.
Very useful - especially the scripts
Just finishing a trip to London, Paris and Rome and thoroughly enjoyed Rick's guides of several key sights. We mostly used the scripts of the audio guides so that we could read relevant info in the order we wished, although listening while walking through major museums like the louvre would have been preferable (so as not to take eyes off the beautiful artwork). Highly recommend for great information and touring highlights when you don't have your guidebook handy!!
No Download Problem today
After reading about lengthy download issues I was a bit apprehensive about downloading the app to complement Steves' books. However, reading jgonzo5's review I thought I could at least give it a try. As was his/her experience, I was able to download about 20 tracks of Paris, Amsterdam, Belgium and Italy in just a few minutes. I do have good LTE service so perhaps that accounts for better speed and no waiting on the downloads.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Travel
- Updated: Aug 16, 2013
- Version: 2.0.4
- Size: 14.6 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: RICK STEVES' EUROPE THROUGH THE BACK DOOR, INC
- © 2011 Rick Steves' Europe Through the Back Door, Inc
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.