Ride the City
By Ride the City
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Ride the City is a bicycle route planner to help you map a safe bike route from point A to point B in 46 cities (listed below).
Like other bicycle maps and routing tools, Ride the City finds the shortest distance between two points. Here's how: First, Ride the City avoids roads that aren't meant for bicycling, like highways and busy streets. Second, Ride the City steers bikes to routes that maximize bike lanes, bike paths, greenways, and other bicycle friendly streets while avoiding steep hills.
The app includes bicycle directions for the following cities:
-LOS ANGELES, CA
-NEW CASTLE, New South Wales
-NEW YORK CITY, NY
-PERTH, Western Australia
-REYKJAVIK (Including all of Iceland)
-SAN DIEGO, CA
-SAN FRANCISCO, CA
-ST PAUL, MN
-SYDNEY, New South Wales
-WASHINGTON D.C. Metro
OTHER CITIES ARE NOT AVAILABLE ON THE APP.
* Works in 46 cities: The Ride the City app now includes all the cities that are present on the Ride the City website (www.ridethecity.com). The bicycle app automatically defaults to the city of your location, but you can change the default to any of the other cities.
* Remembers your last bicycle route, in case you close the app for any reason.
* GPS locate: TOGGLE the locate button to change the GPS mode, there are two modes. Touch the locate button to switch between the following modes: 1) When the locate button is BLUE, auto tracking is ON so that your position is always centered on the map, 2) when the locate button is WHITE, auto tracking is OFF and you can pan the map around.
* Bike shops: Ride the City displays bike shops and bike rental facilities, providing contact information and hours of operation. To find a bicycle route to a bike shop, simply touch a bike shop icon on the MAP and choose 'bike here'. For a list of nearby bike shops, touch the 'Bike Shops' menu button below the map.
* Route details: When a route is generated on the map, Ride the City displays the distance, estimated bicycle time, and elevation gain. It also tells you if a street along your route is a bike lane, bike path, or a caution area.
* Bike share: For cities with bike share programs, the app displays nearby bike share stations and the live feed shows the current number of bicycles and empty docks available, similar to Spotcycle or B-cycle
* Current and forecast weather: Get bicycling-specific weather information with temperature, humidity, wind, and conditions available in an easy-to-read display.
* Feedback: We take your feedback seriously. Use the 'report a route problem' button in the More... menu to submit bicycle routing suggestions or you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Let us know your thoughts.
* Updates: Get free updates as we make improvements and add fun new features to make the application better.
* Internet connection required: Because the app is accessing Ride the City's central routing server, you will need to have Internet access for the application to work.
Built by DOOR3 Business Applications, Inc. (http://www.door3.com) and Ride the City, LLC.
Ride the City. Safe bike routes made easy.
What's New in Version 1.71
- Lots of bug fixes, including much better map caching
- iPhone 5 compatibility
- iPad compatibility
Good for new commuters
I've lived in NYC for 2 years now but traveling through the city on a bike was a whole new experience that made me feel like a new comer all over again. This app has really helped me figure out what streets are good for biking and what aren't.
Great for travelers
I live in NYC but see that the app's good in @ 45 cities. Visiting Toronto and having this as a resource is nice.
This app seems like a great idea, but whenever I ask it to find a route it just spins incessantly and doesn't come up with anything. Very disappointing.
- Category: Navigation
- Updated: Jun 10, 2013
- Version: 1.71
- Size: 4.4 MB
- Languages: English, French, Spanish
- Seller: Ride the City, LLC
- © Ride the City 2009-2013
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.