Rivals for Catan
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Be the Prince or Princess of Catan and decide on the fate of its settlers!
This exciting Catan card game challenges you to rule a realm on Catan. Construct cities and settlements, build ships and roads, and hire heroes to outplay your opponents!
Three different game modes provide varied challenges:
- An easy-to-play introductory game, ‘The First Catanians’ is exclusively played with the cards of the basic set and using simple rules. The ideal way to get started with the game!
- Theme set games represent new eras on Catan, adding numerous cards to the game: Make clever use of trade advantages and the opportunities of cards like the university or the pharmacy to achieve domination over Catan!
- The ‘Duel of the Princes’ is the most advanced game mode: it is played with cards from all theme sets, offering even more strategic and tactical possibilities, thus providing some truly sophisticated games.
- Based on the original card game by the creator of Catan, Klaus Teuber
- Exciting two-player duels
- Three game modes with various difficulties
- Numerous AI opponents with different personalities and tactics provide varied challenges
- Online and local multiplayer modes (online multiplayer via Apple Game Center)
- Based on the rules of the comprehensive, revised edition of the Catan card game
- Including Cards Almanac for easy reference and comprehensive tutorials to get started
Questions or suggestions for improvements:
Mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
We are looking forward to your feedback!
Please do not ask your questions in the reviews as we do not have the possibility to respond to you there.
For more information on news and updates:
or visit us on www.facebook.com/UnitedSoftMedia and on twitter.com/USM_News
What's New in Version 1.3.0
Thank you very much for your feedback on version 1.2! Update 1.3 includes many of your suggestions as well as numerous improvements in various details:
- The help sections has been updated and extended: In addition to tutorial and almanac you can now browse a comprehensive reference of the games rules and turn sequence as well as strategy tips for all game modes!
- Game-flow optimization: Most notifications have been moved from popups to ticker messages. All cards and events that cause a fixed gain or loss of resources are now applied automatically.
- Get an even better view of even the largest principalities in the game with the improved zoom-function
Further improvements and fixes:
- Status bar is now correctly hidden in all iOS versions
- Game Center improvements
- Corrected implementation of the game rules in some edge cases
- Optimized card almanac layout and scaling
- Various smaller tweaks and optimizations
So many bugs and crashes!!
I like the normal card game so much, and I've thought, that the iOS version would be as good as the normal card mode, but I'm disappointed. I can end totally about 1 game from 5. There are a lot of crashes in the game. While I'm just building something, and during that I want to see an another building's requirements, it crashes inmediately. The cards remains marked, and I can't even do anything! And there are a lot of times, when I have to cancel my play, and then, when I want to continue that (previous) game, I get an error message: "Unfortunately, the savegame could not be loaded", and the whole current game losts! And that is very annoying. The online game is unplayeble, the should be a normal online function like in the normal catan game, not only that primitive Game-center mode. And there should be the expansion sets called Age of Darkness and Age of Enlightenment in the game at least as in-app purchases!
I hope USM will fix these crashes, because I didn't pay $4 for the crashes and bugs, I pay for a good and playable game!
Unpolished / incomplete
This app was released before it was ready. In addition to the frequent bugs that so many others have already been pointing out, there are also a bunch of rough edges that make the app feel unfinished. The need to dismiss the tutorial before every game, the weird non-ending notification when you win or lose, the inability to read the requirements for cards like "university" until you've met the requirements (because the card remains unselectable until you have), the slowwwness of the animations and inability to adjust them, the notification bar that doesn't stay synced at all with the gameplay... The list goes on and on. The classic Catan app is excellent all around - but I think the team must have been rushing to meet a deadline with this one.
Rivals for catan is a great card game. And this app captures the gameplay nicely. It's just not an acceptably finished app yet. Provided it gets some much needed updates this will be an easy 5-stars. But as is I can't recommend you download it.
So close and yet so far
I love this game, and the iOS version is great. Until you get "stuck." Multiple times I've gone to play a card, I go to pay the resources, and it thinks I need more than what I really do. What's worse, is I don't even have the resources it thinks I need, and you can't cancel. So you're just stuck. I tried leaving and coming back, but nothing. Then I kill the app, come back, and it tells me there was an error and it can't continue my game. When you put so much time into a game and it's nearing the end, this is the worst. This usually happens during odd circumstances, like when you've lost a card due to a variety of circumstances. They just need to better think through the edge cases and it would be awesome. But it's not worth starting a game when I fear it won't let me finish.
- Category: Games
- Updated: Aug 11, 2014
- Version: 1.3.0
- Size: 288 MB
- Languages: English, German
- Seller: United Soft Media Verlag GmbH
- © 2014 United Soft Media Verlag GmbH, Munich; © Catan GmbH, www.catan.de
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.