Rivals for Catan
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Be the Prince or Princess of Catan and decide on the fate of its settlers!
This exciting Catan card game challenges you to rule a realm on Catan. Construct cities and settlements, build ships and roads, and hire heroes to outplay your opponents!
Three different game modes provide varied challenges:
- An easy-to-play introductory game, ‘The First Catanians’ is exclusively played with the cards of the basic set and using simple rules. The ideal way to get started with the game!
- Theme set games represent new eras on Catan, adding numerous cards to the game: Make clever use of trade advantages and the opportunities of cards like the university or the pharmacy to achieve domination over Catan!
- The ‘Duel of the Princes’ is the most advanced game mode: it is played with cards from all theme sets, offering even more strategic and tactical possibilities, thus providing some truly sophisticated games.
- Based on the original card game by the creator of Catan, Klaus Teuber
- Exciting two-player duels
- Three game modes with various difficulties
- Numerous AI opponents with different personalities and tactics provide varied challenges
- Online and local multiplayer modes (online multiplayer via Apple Game Center)
- Based on the rules of the comprehensive, revised edition of the Catan card game
- Including Cards Almanac for easy reference and comprehensive tutorials to get started
Questions or suggestions for improvements:
Mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
We are looking forward to your feedback!
Please do not ask your questions in the reviews as we do not have the possibility to respond to you there.
For more information on news and updates:
or visit us on www.facebook.com/UnitedSoftMedia and on twitter.com/USM_News
What's New in Version 1.3.0
Thank you very much for your feedback on version 1.2! Update 1.3 includes many of your suggestions as well as numerous improvements in various details:
- The help sections has been updated and extended: In addition to tutorial and almanac you can now browse a comprehensive reference of the games rules and turn sequence as well as strategy tips for all game modes!
- Game-flow optimization: Most notifications have been moved from popups to ticker messages. All cards and events that cause a fixed gain or loss of resources are now applied automatically.
- Get an even better view of even the largest principalities in the game with the improved zoom-function
Further improvements and fixes:
- Status bar is now correctly hidden in all iOS versions
- Game Center improvements
- Corrected implementation of the game rules in some edge cases
- Optimized card almanac layout and scaling
- Various smaller tweaks and optimizations
Unpolished / incomplete
This app was released before it was ready. In addition to the frequent bugs that so many others have already been pointing out, there are also a bunch of rough edges that make the app feel unfinished. The need to dismiss the tutorial before every game, the weird non-ending notification when you win or lose, the inability to read the requirements for cards like "university" until you've met the requirements (because the card remains unselectable until you have), the slowwwness of the animations and inability to adjust them, the notification bar that doesn't stay synced at all with the gameplay... The list goes on and on. The classic Catan app is excellent all around - but I think the team must have been rushing to meet a deadline with this one.
Rivals for catan is a great card game. And this app captures the gameplay nicely. It's just not an acceptably finished app yet. Provided it gets some much needed updates this will be an easy 5-stars. But as is I can't recommend you download it.
Bad interface, bugs
The amount of bugs makes this almost unplayable. Plus due to the clunky interface, it's hard to know what went wrong. Please update.
No pass and play options--this would have been a great game otherwise. It took awhile to figure out a lot of the gameplay and I'm still only playing the base game. I also wish there was an option to play on easy mode or that the AI was rated as easy or hard like they are in the settlers app. I win less than half the time and that gets frustrating. (That would be irrelevant if there was pass and play because I could just trounce my sweetheart and satisfy my longing to win that way. ;)
- Category: Games
- Updated: Aug 11, 2014
- Version: 1.3.0
- Size: 288 MB
- Languages: English, German
- Seller: United Soft Media Verlag GmbH
- © 2014 United Soft Media Verlag GmbH, Munich; © Catan GmbH, www.catan.de
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.