By This Exit LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Never miss another giant twine ball, crazy museum or hilarious statue. App purchase ($2.99) unlocks ONE of 7 oddity-rich US or Canada regions. In-app purchase unlocks all attractions for $5.99 more, or individual regions for $1.99/ea. The experts at RoadsideAmerica.com specialize in nutty sights and oddball wonders. **IMPORTANT: "Unsuccessful" region purchase? Update to the latest app version to restore access, and/or contact us for help (in app: More, Feedback).**
- Recommended in “Road Trip Must Haves” (The Today Show, Sept. 2015)
- Recommended as "Great Road-Trip App" (Travel + Leisure, July 2014)
- "For a more lighthearted road trip, with more quirky sights highlighted, check out Roadside America…” (NY Times, July 2, 2014)
- Recommended Road Trip "Escape App" (Real Simple, May 2013)
- One of the "Best Travel Apps for Kids" (Conde Nast Traveler, 2012)
UNUSUAL AND FUNNY PLACES ALONG THE HIGHWAY
- World’s largest and smallest sights
- Quirky museums, quirky graves, statues, Muffler Men
- Bizarre architecture
- Route 66, classic tourist traps, bizarre eateries
- Mystery spots, gravity hills, caves, unnatural wonders
FIND WHAT'S UP THE ROAD
- Check map or list for what oddities are near you or drop a pin ahead
- Search by attraction name, address, or browse by city
- Explore 70+ themes: Atomic, Music, Celebrities, Tech, Zombie Army, more!
PLAN A TRIP -- OR JUST LAUGH
- Read amusing field reports by our travel gurus and tipsters
- View photos, maps and directions, addresses, hours. Call attractions.
- Check Editors' Ratings to see how a place stacks up
- Visit and submit tips on exclusive "research" attraction targets
SPECIAL ROAD TRIP TOOLS
- Sunset Alert - Last daylight photo opportunity!
- Tourist Interruptus - Schedule an "urgent call" to yourself.
- Send an attraction location to Maps or other popular routing apps.
Backed up by decades of research and eclectic eyewitness reports, Roadside America is your best mobile guide to the weird and wonderful along the road.
FAQ AND CONTACT INFO
For region activation issues, please contact us in the app: More, Feedback or via the website http://www.roadsideamerica.com/mobile/
REGIONS: HOW TO COMPLETE YOUR IN-APP PURCHASE(S)
When first launching app, select your one permanent region (see included states, below). Then, you can make optional in-app purchases to permanently unlock more regions, or All Access unlocks all remaining regions. Sign up for a Roadside America user account for region purchases and device access restores.
- NORTHEAST: Delaware, DC, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia
- SOUTHEAST: Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee
- MIDWEST: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Ohio, Wisconsin
- SOUTHWEST: Arizona, Colorado, Kansas, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas, Utah
- NORTHWEST: Idaho, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Washington, Wyoming
- CALIFORNIA: California, Alaska, Hawaii
- CANADA: Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Northwest Territories, Nova Scotia, Ontario, PEI, Québec, Saskatchewan, Yukon
What's New in Version 1.9.0
- Fixes bug in region in-app purchases (and also in the Restore function) that might fail to unlock content
- Directions Options: Support added for Waze; also Google Maps adjusted
- Increases saved lists to up to 750 places
- Various bug fixes and optimizations
- Region unlock issues? Contact us in the app via More > Feedback
No More Boring Road Trips!
This app is lighter (and cheaper) than lugging around the print book. It is also more (mostly) up to date on its current version but is missing some of the newer sites we discovered on our journeys. It's even great for being a tourist in your own town. I do wish the creators could partner with Atlas Obscura for even more bizarre and interesting sites. This app has definitely made my friends and family discover far more interesting things to do for a birthday than just cake at home. Advice: give yourself plenty of time to get lost and really see all there is to see. And don't go with people (family) that get cranky when you do get lost. We went to see the dinosaurs in Elba, Alabama for my sister's birthday...oy! My iPhone map and cousin's Google map were contradictory to each other AND the RA map/directions. We got totally lost. Had a lot of laughs and felt like we were on some wacky scavenger hunt so it was okay. I ended up unlocking the whole country just so we could plan future trips (and in case of mandatory hurricane evacuation).
Great app! And a couple suggestions.
Thrilled to find out that the Roadside America website had an app, and just in time for my cross-country move! Love the app and all the offbeat attractions. Although I initially balked at spending the $2.99 for the app/1 region and then $5.99 for the remaining 6 regions, it's clear that the money goes to keeping information up to date and the app working smoothly - something I hope continues with future updates. Two additional features I'd like to see with the app include the option for setting a date and recording a short note to record when you've "been there!" so that you've got a record of fun journeys! Another feature would be selection/saving attractions and then creating a route - something that's available online (sort of) but would be super easy given that the app can already export locations to waze/Google/etc. still, 5 stars!!!
Love this app!!
I found the Roadside America website and was using it on my iPad as we traveled through the southeast US. Then I found the app! It is the only app I have ever paid for, and worth every penny. The only problem was that it was very hard to use the map feature on my iPhone (small screen vs big fingers). Now that I was able to download the app to my iPad it is so easy to use. We have found so many interesting places, and I have been making a list of local places to submit for inclusion in this app. No technical issues so far. Keep up the good work!!
- Category: Travel
- Updated: Jun 03, 2016
- Version: 1.9.0
- Size: 10.2 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: This Exit LLC
- © 2009-2017 This Exit LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- All Access$5.99
- US Access (v1.0-1.3)$5.99
- US - Southeast$1.99
- US - Southwest$1.99
- US - Midwest$1.99
- US - Northeast$1.99
- US - Northwest$1.99
- US - California$1.99