A favorite on college Unix systems in the early to mid-1980s, Rogue popularized the dungeon crawling computer game dating back from 1980 (and spawned entire class of derivatives known collectively as "roguelikes"). gandreas software now presents the classic for all your iOS devices (10.0 or newer required):
- Playable in either "ASCII" mode, simple graphic characters or fully graphic tile mode
- Designed for simple "menu" based commands, or can be driven entirely via a BlueTooth keyboard for full retro mode.
- Graphics can be zoomed in/out via pinch
- Completely faithful Rogue experience (all the levels, monsters, potions, scrolls, etc...)
Explore the Dungeons of Doom and retrieve the Amulet of Yendor, or die trying!
- Fix bug with keyboard not dismissing when entering player name
Ratings and Reviews
Perfect little 'casual' dungeon crawl game.
There is a reason why Rogue is a classic, and I'm still able to enjoy myself 23 years after I first saw it. I was even playing this on my PC less than ten years ago while waiting for a download to complete. Sure there are more advanced clones of this (Nethack, Larn, Moria, etc..), but Rogue excelled with the simplisticness.
I was hesitant over the touch interface, but actually I warmed up to it after a few games. (In fairness, the somewhat obscure keyboard method wasn't much better on PC's, but it was all we had.) I'm embarrassed to say that my largest complaint was simply that it may not be a great fit for the itouch. The screen is just a little too small to play without eye strain, and a zoom feature would make this much more comfortable to play, even though when I've had it on other versions (like for the Atari ST), I always needed to keep zooming out in order to see the whole map in order to figure out which direction to go in next.
However, I say 'was going to be a complaint' because I played it several times without realizing that if I rotated the screen, the game automatically zoomed into a well drawn and playable closeup. Very nice.
It may feel a little old school to some, but it is definitely well worth the playtime.
Excellent idea, but could use improvement
1. As others have mentioned, there is a throwing bug where it throws something other than the intended item.
2. The response to transition between portrait and landscape view when the screen is rotated is slow and sometimes doesn't respond at all.
3. Pitch zoom is fine for photos, but terrible for games. Would suggesting using a two finger/three finger tap gesture for zoom in/out.
4. Does each character icon have different stats/characteristics/item specific luck? It seems that the only change is the icon.
5. The embbedded faq mentions the importance of saving the game, but I didn't figure out how to do this. Seldom if I close the app I can pick up where I left off, more often it starts a new game.
6. Difficulty selection would be nice.
7. Please consider a port of Larn or uLarn. It's more diverse than Rogue and much more entertaining.
classic dungeon crawl fun!
Evolutionally speaking, Rogue is that fish with leg-like appendages that first walked upon land - a direct ancestor of Diablo and World of Warcraft. The graphics mode is a nice touch to keep it fresh for modern audiences, though I prefer ASCII mode. While there is definitely room for improvement and simplification of the game, I'm sure gandreas software did everything it could within licensing limitations - this is a port, after all.
Rogue's difficulty reflects a realism that most of today's games lack. When you die, you're dead - start over from scratch. Everything is working against you. Only a combination of your wits, good planning, and extraordinary luck will see you through to a winning game. I've never won, and I'm not sure I ever will. But God help me, I can't get enough of it.
- Glenn Andreas
- 28.8 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Apple TV.
- Age Rating
- Rated 9+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- © 2018 gandreas software
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.