The Roku® mobile app is a free iOS application that turns your mobile device into the ultimate streaming companion for Roku streaming players and Roku TVs.
To use the Roku mobile app, you must connect your phone or tablet to the same wireless network as your Roku device. Certain features require a compatible Roku device, and may require logging in to your Roku account.
Complement your Roku streaming experience and use the Roku mobile app to:
• Use your phone or tablet as a remote control for your Roku device
• Browse a hand-picked selection of great movies and TV shows using What’s On
• Use your voice or mobile keyboard to search for movies, TV shows, actors and directors
• Launch your favorite channels directly from your mobile device
• Add channels and games from the Roku Channel Store
• Listen to audio from streaming movies or shows, or local antenna TV, through your headphones with Private listening
• Cast videos, photos, and music to your TV using Play on Roku
• Use your mobile keyboard to enter text on your Roku device
• Follow your favorite movies, shows and actors/directors using My Feed
THIS APP REQUIRES A ROKU STREAMING PLAYER OR ROKU TV™
Certain features require compatible Roku devices and may require logging in to your Roku account.
· Roku Search is available only when your connected Roku streaming player or Roku TV supports this functionality. Roku Search is not available in Mexico.
· Searching by voice is available in English in the US and Canada only.
· Mobile Private Listening is available for Roku Express, Express+, Roku Streaming Stick (3600), Roku Premiere, Premiere+, Roku Ultra and Roku TVs
* Subscription or other payment may be required to access certain channel content. Channel availability is subject to change and varies by country.
For more information and troubleshooting help, go to http://support.roku.com
Ratings and Reviews
Works better than the after market remote
I bought an aftermarket remote for the living room, and it’s very persnickety about having to point directly at the roku in the exact right spot. Also this doesn’t accidentally leave the app as your phone screen just closes! I like the info that shows what is available to watch on what channel, somehow more comfortable than projected on my wall (I use an LED projector in the bedroom). And another good feature is it lights up!! I can’t see the living room one in the dark, and I couldn’t find a Just roku remote with light up keys for some reason. The only two problems I have are when I press a movie to save because it interests me, it says I’m not registered to my device but I am., and the minute my phone goes into sleep mode when I reopen the app it says that I lost connection, blinks that a few times, sometimes I can just wait and the remote app reconnects, a lot of the time I have to act like I’m going to settings, close it out, and then reopen the remote part. Or I go to “switch device” then press the roku option I am using... both are a little longer than I want to take particularly if I’m needing to constantly pause (cooking or my dog barks)....Otherwise I love it!
Can’t prevent phone from auto lock?
One glaring omission from this app is that there is no option to prevent the screen from auto-locking. That seems like such an oversight of something so essential in a remote app. Imagine you have a physical remote that sleeps and may or may not reload when you want to use it. Behold Roku app. Turning off auto-lock for the entire device just to keep the remote open is really a bad and unsafe alternative. Unfortunately with all the great features this app provides (especially the swipe controls and keyboard) this app becomes completely useless because eventually you will find yourself taking the path of least resistance and just reach for the physical remote. Please please add an auto-lock prevention option. IOS has this capability and from experience it’s relatively minimal effort to implement this functionality. Also Roku doesn’t seem to have an email to suggest missing features, so I’m going to be pessimistic here and assume Roku probably won’t read this and this app will never get this option. I so hope I’m wrong because I really want to use this app 🖖.
Very Convenient When you Misplace the Remote
I was very excited when I found out Roku made an app for the iPhone. My remote is often knocked over by the cats and lands under my wheelchair which makes it hard to find. Or when I misplace the remote which is why I wrote this review since I couldn’t find it and the rate screen popped up. Lol
I find it especially simple to use and though I only have one Roku still hooked up it always finds the right one. I’ve had my Roku for several years and was wondering if the app would work. The app works just fine on my iPhone 5. Plus it looks exactly like my remote the one without the channel buttons. If it is possible to change the skins I do not know I haven’t searched it out.
I read one reviewer mention it often can’t find their connection that has happened only once I just restarted the app and it was fine. This is one of my most useful and helpful apps I have on my phone!
- ROKU INC
- 84.4 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, French, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2011-2018 Roku, Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.