By RootsMagic, Inc
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Your family tree at your fingertips! Now you can easily take and show off your family history with you wherever you go. RootsMagic lets you carry your genealogy on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch!
This viewer is designed as a companion product to RootsMagic, the award-winning desktop genealogy software which makes researching, organizing, and sharing your family history easy. Whether you're a beginner or an experienced professional, RootsMagic is the perfect tool for you!
* Uses your actual RootsMagic files- no conversion needed
* Easily put your family history files on your device through iTunes or DropBox
* Keep as many files as you want right on your device
* Use the free desktop software to convert other genealogy files including PAF, Family Tree Maker, Legacy Family Tree, and GEDCOM into viewable RootsMagic files.
* Pedigree, Family, Descendant, and Individual Views to quickly explore your family tree
* Browse people by surname and given names
* Search ancestors by name or record number
* View media, notes, and sources for people, families, events, and facts
* Source list
* To-do lists
* Research Logs
* Media Lists
* Address Book
* Repository List
* Correspondence List
* Place List
* Perpetual calendar
* Date calculator
* Relationship calculator
* Soundex calculator
Note: Requires RootsMagic desktop family tree software or the free RootsMagic Essentials software to create, edit, or add to your genealogy files.
What's New in Version 1.2.1
Fix for children info popup not working on iPad
Works just fine
For what this app is it works completely fine. Remember it is viewer, so you can take your tree with you. You cannot add to it or do research. I have found it handy to have when visiting relatives and needing to look up dates.
You have to connect your tree and load the app to Dropbox through roots magic on the computer. There is an option for this in the drop down menu on roots magic. It is very easy to do and I have no idea what all these bad reviews are for. They must not be able to follow directions. I have not tried it through iTunes.
I do wish that I could connect through OneDrive or Google Drive because I had to add another syncing service to my computer which I didn't want to do. But I understand about needing to load the database. Hopefully someday they will figure out how to get the app to just need the backup file or something.
Total Waste - Don't bother
I'm highly experienced at genealogy researcher with decades of experience and am quite computer literate. Although RootsMagic for Windows is an excellent program, trying to share that information with other devices is essentially impossible. I am able to see some data on my iPhone but it is IMPOSSIBLE to connect to the data on my iPad. The fact that the people at RootsMagic refuse to all devices to share on ANY cloud storage system is beyond comprehension. RM REQUIRES that data be share ONLY with Dropbox is outlandish; however, even then I can't connect with anything other than my phone. They claim that iTunes may also be used but that can oly occur if All devices are Apple products. Really. REALLY! Don't bother with this app and don't believe RM when they claim you can use other devices to see your data.
Looking forward to more functionality
I was annoyed by the set-up steps at first, too, but iTunes is only one option- Dropbox is another, and it only took a few minutes. How else is your tree going to get from your computer to your phone or iPad? Remember, your RootsMagic tree isn't online. You have to transmit the tree by following the steps, of course. That said, its functionality is a big disappointment. I scan source documents with my phone and iPad and hoped to be able to upload them to my tree through this app like I could on Ancestry's app, but it looks like all you can do is SEE your tree with this app.
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Dec 10, 2015
- Version: 1.2.1
- Size: 16.1 MB
- Languages: English, Catalan, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Seller: RootsMagic, Inc.
- © 2012-2015 RootsMagic, Inc. All rights reserved.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.