By RootsMagic, Inc
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Your family tree at your fingertips! Now you can easily take and show off your family history with you wherever you go. RootsMagic lets you carry your genealogy on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch!
This viewer is designed as a companion product to RootsMagic, the award-winning desktop genealogy software which makes researching, organizing, and sharing your family history easy. Whether you're a beginner or an experienced professional, RootsMagic is the perfect tool for you!
* Uses your actual RootsMagic files- no conversion needed
* Easily put your family history files on your device through iTunes or DropBox
* Keep as many files as you want right on your device
* Use the free desktop software to convert other genealogy files including PAF, Family Tree Maker, Legacy Family Tree, and GEDCOM into viewable RootsMagic files.
* Pedigree, Family, Descendant, and Individual Views to quickly explore your family tree
* Browse people by surname and given names
* Search ancestors by name or record number
* View media, notes, and sources for people, families, events, and facts
* Source list
* To-do lists
* Research Logs
* Media Lists
* Address Book
* Repository List
* Correspondence List
* Place List
* Perpetual calendar
* Date calculator
* Relationship calculator
* Soundex calculator
Note: Requires RootsMagic desktop family tree software or the free RootsMagic Essentials software to create, edit, or add to your genealogy files.
What's New in Version 1.2.1
Fix for children info popup not working on iPad
Total Waste - Don't bother
I'm highly experienced at genealogy researcher with decades of experience and am quite computer literate. Although RootsMagic for Windows is an excellent program, trying to share that information with other devices is essentially impossible. I am able to see some data on my iPhone but it is IMPOSSIBLE to connect to the data on my iPad. The fact that the people at RootsMagic refuse to all devices to share on ANY cloud storage system is beyond comprehension. RM REQUIRES that data be share ONLY with Dropbox is outlandish; however, even then I can't connect with anything other than my phone. They claim that iTunes may also be used but that can oly occur if All devices are Apple products. Really. REALLY! Don't bother with this app and don't believe RM when they claim you can use other devices to see your data.
Looking forward to more functionality
I was annoyed by the set-up steps at first, too, but iTunes is only one option- Dropbox is another, and it only took a few minutes. How else is your tree going to get from your computer to your phone or iPad? Remember, your RootsMagic tree isn't online. You have to transmit the tree by following the steps, of course. That said, its functionality is a big disappointment. I scan source documents with my phone and iPad and hoped to be able to upload them to my tree through this app like I could on Ancestry's app, but it looks like all you can do is SEE your tree with this app.
Roots Magic app for iPad is not user friendly
I am at a total loss to why the RM App for my iPad makes it so difficult to load a file. I am an avid genealogist and have worked with many genealogy programs over the last 35 years, but this is without a doubt the WORST App to install information in that I have ever seen. I love the RM program for my personal computer. But the RM app is a total nightmare for my iPad. Why the designers require iTunes or Dropbox to load a file does not make any sense. I have been trying for three days to get this stinker up and running and have not figured it out yet. Not user friendly at all!!
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Dec 10, 2015
- Version: 1.2.1
- Size: 11.0 MB
- Languages: English, Catalan, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Seller: RootsMagic, Inc.
- © 2012-2015 RootsMagic, Inc. All rights reserved.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.