Rosary - Mysteries of the Holy Rosary
By Ryan MacCarthy
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
*UPDATED with new full-screen artwork*
This free application is a meditation and instructive aid for those praying the Rosary. It does NOT replace your Rosary beads, but rather helps you focus on the Mysteries of the Holy Rosary.
As soon as you open the application you are greeted with today's Mysteries to meditate on, each with an accompanying artwork.
If you're new to praying the Rosary, you can follow the simple instructions, prayers, and learn about the Mysteries. Also included are the prayers of the Chaplet of the Divine Mercy.
The Glorious Mysteries of the Rosary
1. The Glorious Resurrection of Our Lord (John 20:1-29)
The Resurrection of Christ by Paolo Veronese (1570)
2. The Ascension of Our Lord (Luke 24:36-53)
Ascension of Christ by Garofalo (1510-20)
3. The Descent of the Holy Spirit (Acts 2:1-41)
The Descent of the Holy Ghost by Tiziano Vecellio (1545)
4. The Assumption of Mary into Heaven (Munificentissimus Deus, Pope Pius XII 1950)
The Assumption of the Virgin by Nicolas Poussin (1650)
5. The Coronation of Mary as Queen of Heaven and Earth (Revelation 12:1)
Coronation of the Virgin by Diego Velázquez (1641)
The Joyful Mysteries of the Rosary
1. The Annunciation of Gabriel to Mary (Luke 1:26-38)
The Annunciation by Francesco Albani (1645)
2. The Visitation of Mary to Elizabeth (Luke 1:39-56)
The Visitation by Juan Correa De Vivar (1532)
3. The Birth of Our Lord (Luke 2:1-21)
Nativity by Jean-Baptiste-Marie Pierre (1770)
4. The Presentation of Our Lord (Luke 2:22-38)
The Presentation in the Temple by Philippe de Champaigne (1648)
5. The Finding of Our Lord in the Temple (Luke 2:41-52)
Jesus is found in the Temple by James Tissot (1890)
The Luminous Mysteries of the Rosary (Mysteries of Light)
1. The Baptism of Our Lord (Matthew 3:13-16)
Baptism of Christ by Francesco Albani (1640)
2. The Wedding at Cana (John 2:1-11)
The Marriage at Cana by Marten de Vos (1597)
3. The Proclamation of the Kingdom (Mark 1:14-15)
The Sermon on the Mount by Carl Heinrich Bloch (1875)
4. The Transfiguration of Our Lord (Matthew 17:1-8)
The Transfiguration by Raphael (1519)
5. The Last Supper (Matthew 26)
The Institution of the Eucharist by Nicolas Poussin (1640)
The Sorrowful Mysteries of the Rosary
1. The Agony of Our Lord in the Garden (Matthew 26:36-56)
Christ in the Garden of Gethsemane by Sebastiano Conca (1746)
2. Our Lord is Scourged at the Pillar (Matthew 27:26)
The Flagellation of Our Lord Jesus Christ by William Bouguereau (1880)
3. Our Lord is Crowned with Thorns (Matthew 27:27-31)
Crowning with Thorns by Tiziano Vecelli (Titian) (1545)
4. Our Lord Carries the Cross to Calvary (Matthew 27:32)
Christ Falling on the Way to Calvary by Raphael (1516)
5. The Crucifixion of Our Lord (Matthew 27:33-56)
Crucifixion by Josse Lieferinxe (1500)
What's New in Version 1.2
Based on your feedback:
* revised prayers for consistency with Vatican
* fixed description of Luminous Mystery
* fixed corresponding verses that were out of sync
Wonderful, but could you fix...
Thank you for creating such a beautiful assisting application, for those of us who pray, and are learning to pray, the Rosary. The artwork is a wonderful addition, and much appreciated.
However, when one taps into the Mysteries mode, from the bottom row of buttons, wherein, it lists each of the Mystery categories, that can, then, be tapped on, individually, to be viewed---did you know that the Back button disappears, and does not allow one to then back out of that particular Mystery grouping, and return back to the page listing each of the Mystery categories? Tapping on the artwork, to expand it, seems to be that which triggers the disappearance of the Back button.
If possible, could you repair this malfunction? As it is, it appears as though one has to close the application, altogether, and then re-open it, if one wishes to go back into the Mysteries mode page.
Again...a beautiful application. Thank you for the gift of time and labor, given to the effort.
It's Good, but I am having a problem
NIce app. Especially since it's free, but the Back button doesn't always show up when I select one of the 4 Mysteries. When I try to get back to the entire list of Mysteries, I can't. I have to hit the home button and click on the app icon again for things to work properly.
I love the pictures! It's nice to have those to help concentrate on each Mystery.
Great for use with beads
I prefer to use the beads (or a bracelet if caught in a public place) -- and am so glad there's now an app for my iPhone that will help me with using the beads rather than trying to replace them. :)
It's okay that others may want to replace the beads - but there's plenty of other apps for them. This app is for me.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Mar 19, 2010
- Version: 1.2
- Size: 1.5 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Ryan MacCarthy
- © 2009 Caritas et Veritas
Compatibility: Requires iOS 2.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.