Routinist helps you achieve goals and build habits by scheduling time for them as part of your everyday routines.
I built Routinist because I got tired of having excuses for why I wasn’t taking action on my goals: I don’t have time... I’m too tired… I forgot… etc. Routinist eliminates these excuses for me.
Becoming a better you is hard. It requires motivation, planning, commitment and execution. Only you can keep yourself motivated and committed over the long term. The purpose of Routinist is to help with the planning and execution parts, so you can improve your health, achieve your goals, and continue becoming a better you.
Step 1: List your typical morning routine actions and estimate time for each action. This can be super simple (get ready for day for 45 mins), or as detailed as you like (floss 1m, brush 3m , shower 10m, shave 5m, etc.).
Step 2: Enter your desired sleep and Go Time (the time you need to leave for work).
Step 3: Add new actions (those small steps towards your goals like flossing or exercising) and their estimated time, and insert them into your routine.
Routinist uses this info to remind you when to wake up and go to bed so you have time for your routines and get the sleep you need. Take action during the time you most control: your mornings and evenings. Routinist removes the ‘when’ so you can focus on the ‘what’.
• Build morning (and evening!) routines
• Wake up and bed time reminders
• Understand your time constraints and prioritize
• Reduce decision fatigue
• Routines sync with your Apple Calendar!
• Optimize your routine: tweak the time, order and frequency of actions for any routine any time (yes – even during an active routine)
• Complete actions, skip actions, and undo skip/complete as needed
• Continuously updated routine completion times
• Timers & notifications for each action
• Apple Watch! Complete, Skip, Pause & Resume from the notifications on the Apple Watch or iPhone notification center
• Flexibility: schedule actions on certain days each week or every x days, x weekdays, etc.
• Progress Tracking for a birds eye view of your progress
• Detailed History of every routine
• Dark Mode
• 120+ action ideas with suggested times
Routinist is probably very different from any other app you’ve tried, and it takes some getting used to. But I strongly believe this unique approach to achieving your goals will make your life better.
“Anyone can list out their goals, but they will be quickly abandoned without the help of an app like this… No other goal app compares to Routinist. Worth the time to learn.”
“This app enabled me to establish a regular morning routine for the first time in my 45 years of life.”
“If you have different times for leaving to work/school everyday but similar morning tasks this is perfect. It is worth the time to try it.”
"Your app has enormous potential in helping others reach theirs."
Routinist does not advertise and is instead supported by Premium membership through an auto-renewing subscription. If you choose to purchase Premium, payments will be charged to your iTunes account, and your account will be charged for renewal 24 hours prior to the end of the current period. Auto-renewal may be turned off at any time by going to your settings in the iTunes Store after purchase. The current price is $2.99 USD per month, and may vary from country to country.
Minor bug fix.
This update fixes a bug that started causing Routinist to crash for many long-time, loyal customers on June 15th. Unfortunately, on June 14th, an unexpected personal matter came up that has required 100% of my time and energy until now.
To all of you who emailed or left reviews, thank you so so much! Even if the reviews were negative, it shows that you care about Routinist, and I really appreciate that!
I'll be responding to all emails as soon as I can with more detail about what happened & why. If anyone else has questions or if you are curious for more details, please email me: firstname.lastname@example.org
Long Live Routinist!
Version 4.5 notes were:
• A bug was introduced with the nag me feature where the app could crash in some scenarios if an action was skipped or a routine was paused. I think this one has finally been squashed.
Version 4.2 notes were:
*** NEW FEATURES ***
• Nag Me Notifications -> Sometimes we get distracted during an active routine or forget the routine was paused. With Nag Me enabled...
• When an action is late, you get reminders after 2, 5 & 10 minutes.
• When a routine is paused, you get reminders after 5, 10 & 15 minutes.
• Stop Screen From Sleeping -> Your iPhone will not go to sleep when Routinist is open and a routine is active. This setting is off by default.
Version 4.1 notes were:
*** NEW PREMIUM FEATURE ***
• Calendar Sync -> Morning and evening routines are now able to auto-schedule as Apple Calendar Events and the events update as you update your routine.
Version 4.02 notes were:
Minor cosmetic tweaks and bug fixes.
Version 4.0 notes were:
Since the inception of Routinist, one set of features has stood out as the most requested by a long shot. In this major update, we’ve implemented that feature set (Premium subscribers only), changed our business model, added iPhone X support, and added various improvements.
*** NEW PREMIUM FEATURES ***
• Stats -> Simple & motivating statistics like streaks and stats on how many actions/minutes/routines you've completed.
• Progress Tracking -> A beautiful calendar view that provides a bird’s eye view of your progress. Each day on the calendar has a circle around it if progress was made on that routine. The circles are colored corresponding to the minutes completed, skipped, and incomplete. Streaks are indicated by connecting circles.
• Detailed History -> Tap on any routine in Progress Tracking’s calendar view to drill into the exact history of that routine! Applies to routines started after this update.
A lot of app surgery was performed to get this historical information up and running, but Routinist now has an excellent foundation that will allow me to present your history in more and more meaningful ways to you. Feel free to send me any suggestions as to stats that could be shown or how I can present your information to best help you make improvements to your life.
*** IMPROVEMENTS ***
• iPhone X support
• Bug fixes
• Design updates
*** BUSINESS MODEL CHANGE ***
• Routinist has changed to a subscription-based business model (see the Premium page for more details and explanation as to why this change was made).
• Current Premium users: You are not losing any access to features you’ve paid for (if this were to ever happen in the future, I will notify you). As far as the new subscription-based features go, you will have access to these for FREE for a while (for timeframe, see note upon next login). Thank you so much for your support!
• Current Free users: You are not losing any access to features you’ve had (if this were to ever happen in the future, I will notify you).
Please email email@example.com if you have thoughts/questions/suggestions/etc.
Thank you for your support!
Ratings and Reviews
Update: I think I’ve got it figured out. After several more days of not being able to open the app without it crashing and with no update or way to ask for help in sight I decided to delete and reinstall the app. It seems to have worked but I lost my carefully created and fine tuned routine. I was also worried when I reinstalled because it was saying the only option if you want to have more than 15 actions between your morning and evening routines is to pay a couple bucks a month for Premium, but last year I paid for Premium as a one-time, in-app purchase. I was able to restore my purchase and it appears I can start adding actions back in. I’m cautiously optimistic, but I’ll be watching to see if it starts crashing again, or if it tries to charge a monthly fee. My guess about the crashing is it had something to do with the new subscription format? I wish this all would have somehow been communicated! Upping review to three stars, will fix it again as I see how things go.
Original: I actually love this app but for days now it has been crashing every time I open it. No update in sight and I could be wrong but I don’t think there is any way to reach out to the developer. I’m hoping this one star review will get their attention! Then I’ll fix my review.
Made life better!
I absolutely love this app! I used to have a note that told me what tasks to do in the morning and before bed and this is just a huge upgrade for me. It automatically calculates the time and starts the next activity and I can skip items. It’s just made the start of my day so much better I feel happier and more focused when I get to work in the morning because I know that everything has been going well In the day so far. It also helps me relax and sleep better at night knowing everything is done for the day. My house is more organized since I have a daily task to do the dishes and pick up. I love that it calculates what time you should start your night routine and when you need to go to bed and I love that it calculates when you should wake up in the morning in order to leave the house in time. This app has kept me from getting distracted on Facebook for example in the morning when critical test need to get done I’m just so happy this is my favorite app on my phone. Thank you so much to the developer.
Really well done
I almost never review apps because it feels like a waste of time to me, but I’m making an exception here because I feel like this one is really well done. The developers have obviously put a lot of thought into it and it works like you would hope it would. I rarely feel this way about productivity apps, and I have tried a lot of them!
The basic premise of having you decide when you need to be ready to start your day and how long you will sleep and then having the app do the math is really elegant. It has taught me some things about how much time is actually available to me. Also, the ability to pause, skip, and then unskip and go back to a task makes it so that I can flex the routine when things change, but still use the app to help me stay on track. It shows on my calendar, syncs well, and basically just works without any hitch. It’s well worth the reasonable subscription price for me.
- Timothy Johnson
- 56.3 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Tim Johnson
- In-App Purchases
- Premium Subscription $2.99
- Routinist Premium $11.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.