Rowmote Pro: Remote Control for Mac
By Evan Schoenberg
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Rowmote Pro is the ultimate wireless remote, trackpad, and keyboard for Mac. A gorgeous universal app for iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad, with everything from a multitouch trackpad to full extended keyboard support, and with no-configuration control of dozens of the best Mac applications plus AirPlay mirroring, it is a must-have for any home media center or presentation!
* Rated "Excellent" and one of just 400 apps featured in the WIRED App Guide 2011 *
You love the remote control which came with your Mac - so simple yet elegant, with easy control of Front Row, iTunes, Quicktime, DVD Player, Keynote, and more.
Or, your Mac didn’t come with a remote control or doesn’t even have an infrared port. The Apple Remote would cost a significant amount. Add ANOTHER hit to your wallet for a wireless control like a keyboard, mouse, or the Apple Magic Trackpad!
You carry your iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad wherever you go… so why should you carry a second device just to control your computer? Furthermore, why should you need line-of-sight to do so?
Enter Rowmote Pro! Rowmote Pro is like your Mac’s remote control, but over the wireless network and even better! Trackpad and keyboard give you complete control over your computer, and you can control, launch, and quit apps, toggle the iTunes Visualizer, and more without ever having to squint at your screen. Rowmote is Mac-like from the ground up.
- Control your Mac completely over a wireless network. No line of sight necessary.
- Works like the hardware Apple Remote Control in:
• Adobe Lightroom
• Airfoil Video
• BBC iPlayer
• DVD Player
• eyeTV 3.x
• Front Row
• Hulu Desktop
• Keynote ‘08 & ‘09
• kJams Pro
• Microsoft Powerpoint ‘04 & ‘08
• OpenOffice Impress
• PandoraOne Desktop
• Plex & Plex Home Theater
• The Tube
• xbmc (Xbox Media Center)
PRO CONTROL: A single tap switches to the keyboard & trackpad mode.
- Portrait & landscape
- True multitouch: Scroll with two fingers, right click, drag, pinch to zoom, and swipe with 3 or 4 fingers.
- Tap anywhere or use the virtual button
- Keyboard includes extended characters, modifier keys, function keys, numeric pad, brightness control, and more
- Multiple monitor support
- SWITCH: Access your Mac’s Dock; launch & switch between all controllable applications on the Mac; toggle the iTunes visualizer; and more.
- Sleep & wake as needed (wireless waking requires Mac OS X 10.6+).
- Control AirPlay mirroring and audio output (requires Mac OS X 10.8)
- Innovative Gesture Pad for no-look control over menu-driven applications like Plex and Hulu Desktop
- Pause the music or video automatically when you answer a call on your iPhone
- Proximity sensor support to automatically turn the screen off if the device is face-down
- Secure authentication
- Connect via Bluetooth if your carrier supports Internet Tethering (iPhone)
• Mac OS X 10.4.0 or later: The free Rowmote Helper program must be running on the Mac. Download at www.rowmote.com. Some features require Leopard (10.5) or later; some gestures require Lion (10.7) or later.
• Apple TV: 1st gen/2nd gen only may see www.rowmote.com/atv for potential compatibility.
• The portable device must be on the same wireless network (or a computer-to-computer network). If a firewall is enabled, access must be allowed (port 5842).
Rowmote Pro is the only app you need to control your computer. Couple it with Apple’s free Remote app to turn your iPhone or iPod Touch into the ultimate controller for home stereo, mobile presentation, or casual video viewing.
Artwork of Rowmote Pro is by Rik Schennink.
What's New in Version 4.1
• Fixed layout on iPhone 6+ when Display Zoom is enabled
• Added iPhone 6 and iPhone 6+ resolution support
• Fixed rotating to landscape orientation on the iPad in iOS 8
• Fixed appearance of the Function keyboard in landscape orientation in iOS 8
• Fixed a few display issues in Dark Interface mode which would make the screen appear too bright
• Fixed display of the active application in the Applications menu for certain apps
• A few other minor improvements
• Aesthetic fixes in the Settings
I concur with the last review. This $5 app has left me puzzled. I have great internet and wifi. High speed for both computer and phone. But the lag is ridiculous. And that's just the mild bugs. It has resizing problems when I open the app sometimes. When changing to landscape for mouse and keyboard it freezes on a stretched out image of the main remote screen. Then when I start my phone after battery dies, it opens app by itself and says there is no connection. I have done everything to improve the signal to max reception on my wifi phone and computer. PLEASE FIX THIS. I will give a 5 star review if you can.
Very Buggy Lately
I'm guessing the last couple updates just don't interact appropriately with Yosemite, but my experience with Rowmote Pro of late have been buggy enough to approach not being usable. Mouse responsiveness has gone way downhill as the app flickers between modes, and every once in a while the app cranks my iMac's audio volume to the maximum and will not allow it to be turned back down. I'm not sure what other options are out there, but I'd recommend considering them.
Spent $350 on a harmony remote..
when the answer for a plex remote (actually a full on mini remote) was a $5 app that works better than I'd even hoped. Amazing app. Haven't touched my wireless keyboard since.
Works great (yes it most definitely does work, nay sayers didn't install the helper app on their PC).
- Category: Utilities
- Updated: Feb 27, 2015
- Version: 4.1
- Size: 50.9 MB
- Languages: English, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: Evan Schoenberg, M.D.
- © 2008-2014 Regular Rate and Rhythm Software
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.