By NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is the nation's authority on vehicle-related safety. NHTSA 's SaferCar app provides important information and functions that will help you make informed safety decisions involving your vehicle. Features include:
· 5-Star Safety Ratings: Buy safe by looking up a vehicle’s crash test ratings and comparing ratings for different vehicles.
· Recalls and Complaints: Drive safe by staying on top of safety issues for your vehicles. Record all your vehicles so you can be notified by NHTSA if a safety issue becomes known; the app also makes it simple to submit complaints to NHTSA when you believe there is a possible safety problem with your vehicle.
· Help Installing Car Seats: Ensure your most precious passengers ride safe. Quickly find and get driving directions to where you can get assistance on making sure your child seats are properly installed, no matter where you are.
· Safety Headlines and Alerts: Receive important news and information from NHTSA, as well as recall notices on your list of vehicles.
What's New in Version 2.02
- Added new functionality to search for recalls on Car Seats and Tires
- Modified UI based on iOS 7
- Bug fixes
This app is great! Perhaps the problems noted by previous reviewers have been fixed because this app works fine for me. In the app's settings, it was easy to save 3 vehicles to my profile. I also checked the recalls for each vehicle and found the information to be accurate.
Fyi, the app's info for recall notifications explains that your notifications will currently include all vehicle models made by your manufacturer in the same year as your vehicle. (A previous review included this issue as a negative.) However, it also notes that work is currently in progress to improve the app to limit notifications to your specific model. I have no problem with getting extra notifications for other vehicles made by my manufacturer in the same year just to make sure I'm covered until this enhancement occurs. Thanks for providing this app and continuing to work to make it better!
Not Very Useful
"Recall News / Headlines" doesn't even note the latest Takata airbag debacle -- even 2 days after the news has broken, publicly.
I've populated the app with my personal car info, yet it shows recall data for car models unrelated to my car. If I follow a link to "More Info," I get a blank page.
This is genius: "Provide Feedback" link only brings up phone number and email addresses -- it doesn't even allow one to submit feedback from within the app or even a link to a web form.
As with many well-intentioned government safety initiatives, this one falls well short of serving citizens with up-to-date, useful, actionable info.
Buggy and useless...
All I have been able to do is just add a vehicle, however, I can not file a complaint as the app crashes.
Recalls do not show up, and VIN does not carry over to other portions of the app.
Will keep it in the hopes it is fixed as it can be very useful...
- Category: Utilities
- Updated: Sep 19, 2014
- Version: 2.02
- Size: 8.1 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION
- © n/a
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.