Display your optimal tacks on a chart, and the exact distance and time on each tack. Standard GPS chartplotters and mapping apps do not account for tacking distances. But if they do not know the distance you will travel, how can they calculate your correct ETA? SailTimer gives you a quick and easy display of your optimal tacks and TTD® (Tacking Time to Destination).
This free Charts Edition includes all of the same features as the SailTimer app, although a few are optional in-app purchases here (a la carte).
Simply enter the directions of the wind and your destination along with the wind speed to get the optimal tacking angles.
Operating Instructions and Unique Features:
● Small download (great for cellular connections).
● Marine charts (raster) based on the paper charts are also available as low-cost in-app purchases for USA, UK, Canada, New Zealand, US Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, and large-scale charts of The Bahamas and Cuba. Aerial photos and road maps worldwide are available free. All can be used offline.
● The white crosshair icon in the top left is the “Follow-Me” button. If clicked, it turns blue and keeps your location in the center of the screen as you move. Unselect when not moving to look around the map, and when you want to zoom in and out.
● Mark waypoints on the map. Then easily display the optimal tacks, tacking distances, headings and times to get to that waypoint. In-app purchase enables naming of waypoints.
● If you have our wireless anemometer (www.SailTimerWind.com), the wind direction and speed arrives magically through the air. To see the optimal tacks, just enter the waypoint or direction to the waypoint.
● Enlarge the unique Wind Speedometer to keep an eye on wind gusts if using an anemometer. If you want a record of wind speeds, click the Graph button and you can save or share a graph showing your boat speed and wind speed. The graph saves these for up to 24 hours as long as the device is not rebooted.
● Your device will not go to sleep when the app is open, to allow you to continue to monitor your progress on the chart. You can also continue to track your tacking results with the app running in the background or when the device is asleep (unless you hard-quit).
● ActiveCaptain: Click on flags on the chart for comments and reviews about anchorages, marinas and hazards. The in-app purchase is less than the cost of a magazine. It is like a cruising guide that never goes out of date.
● Click on the pin at the end of a pair of tacks to see the distances, heading and time on each tack.
● Custom polar plots: This in-app purchase allows the app to learn your unique sailboat's speed profile on all points of sail, for the most accurate tacking results.
● Switch to the port or starboard tack to avoid obstructions, or let the app automatically display the tack nearest to your current heading.
● GPS tracks can be saved, imported or emailed with an in-app purchase, to show others where you went.
● Convert from Apparent to True wind speed & direction.
Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
If you are getting this free app and agree that these are helpful features for sailing, please help out other sailors by letting them know, with a quick rating on this version while you’re here.
• Navionics high-quality marine charts can be used for locations worldwide. Full details at http://eepurl.com/c-t2fP . A log-in bug has been corrected.
Ratings and Reviews
Just what I needed
Can't wait til the wind vane is available again, but even without it, this app is fast on slower devices (unlike other apps) and it gives me exactly what I need when I open it - as much info on my present situation as possible.
Is this company still in Business
I purchased over 9 months ago there wind instrument for over $500. It has not been delivered and company web site is down. No response to any emails sent. Is there a phone number for this company?
Made the mistake of buying the Atlantic chart for this app. Constant glitches. If you zoom on the chart, the depth and chart markings disappear leaving you with an aerial overview that is reminiscent of google maps circa 2003. There is no redeeming quality or use for this app.
- SailTimer Inc.
- 75.3 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2005-2018 SailTimer Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- SailTimer Pro Bundle $7.99
- ActiveCaptain Free
- USA Atlantic Coast $15.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.