Salon is a groundbreaking pioneer of digital publishing with over two decades of award-winning independent journalism across news, politics, culture and innovation that has gained a global audience of over 200 countries. Our application provides users with an optimal reading, watching and listening experience that is ad free, easy to navigate and features our fast growing Salon TV Network.
- Access to the latest Salon articles and features from the Salon editorial staff, our regular acclaimed opinion contributors and journalism partners. (mobile & tablet only)
- Exclusive content not found on Salon.com.
- No banner ads, pop ups or pre-roll advertising.
- SalonTV video content that features an array of in depth interviews with newsmakers, cultural icons, authors and political and business leaders as well as musical performances on Salon Stage.
- An exclusive set of award winning long and short documentaries curated by Salon that changes every month.
- Originally produced and curated podcasts and radio shows. (mobile & tablet only)
- An easy to use feature set that includes search, sharing and saving content for later.
• Subscription 1 Month - USD 4.99*
• Subscription 1 Year - USD 49.99*
* For non-US app stores, the equivalent currency charges will apply.
Please note: App subscriptions do not include access to subscription-only content on our website.
Additional Subscription Information:
• Payment will be charged to iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase.
• Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period.
• Account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period, and identify the cost of the renewal.
• Subscriptions may be managed by the user and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to the user's Account Settings after purchase.
• No cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during active subscription period.
• Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to that publication, where applicable.
New & Improved! An optimal reading and watching experience that is ad free, easy to navigate and features our fast growing Salon TV Network.
Ratings and Reviews
We all know Salon has a heavy ideological slant. And that's ok as long as you realize that. But the last few years it reads more like a blog written by some junior-high Fellow Travelers. It used to be a good source for a certain side. It also offered some great thought and arguments for that side. It's totally in the same class now as folks who post ridiculous things on Facebook that they haven't taken 5 mins to figure out of they're even making a factually correct statement. It seems like Hitchens was the last contributor that was smart enough to express cogent thought. It was like they were waiting for him to die so they could just go off-the-wall insane. It's depressing.
What I also did odd is that these authors/contributors get paid for the content try produce. As a former editor and contributor for major news outlets I find it hard to believe that they could simultaneously lower their standards so far, so fast, and retain a majority of their readership. It's baffling in addition to being sad.
Great news app but
I love this app, giving 4 stars BUT I'd gladly give it 5 stars if they fixed ONE thing. I've just read a story so I scroll back up to top looking for arrow in top left corner that's basically the back button to get me back to section I got story from but sometimes it's not there and I've tried all kinds of things to make it appear on my iPhone 6 but most of time it doesn't appear so I close app, double click on what I have open and delete open apps then go back to Salon. Hope above makes sense but Cliffnotes version is make the back arrow automatically appear when scrolling back up to top of page.
Okay, but what's with the 'Most Read' link section?
Not a bad app, but for some reason the Front Page 'Most Read' section has been stuck on the same set of story links (and their accompanying images) for the last six months. Maybe more. I've reinstalled the app and the problem remains uncorrected with the update. Not sure what's causing the problem on Salon's mobile site - it does not show up on the regular website.
- Salon Media Group, Inc. Apps
- 65.5 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Apple TV.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2018 Salon Media Group, Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Salon.com Monthly Subscription $4.99
- Salon.com Annual Subscription $49.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.