San Francisco Chronicle
By Hearst Newspapers
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Get the smart news writing, award-winning photos and columnists, second-to-none Bay Area news coverage that you expect from the San Francisco Chronicle, completely redesigned for the App Store.
San Francisco Chronicle features:
- First pick of exclusive content that you can’t get anywhere else
- Local news from San Francisco and the Bay Area, including updates throughout the day
- The daily funnies in a Comics section updated every day
- Dazzling photo galleries and 360-degree panoramas
- Features from The Chronicle’s team of trusted experts and columnists
Subscribing to the San Francisco Chronicle
- Downloading the app is free. New users can receive free content on the app for 14 days.
- If you would like to subscribe, you can select monthly ($5.99) or annual ($59.99) subscription.
When purchasing through iTunes, your account will be charged at confirmation of purchase. Any unused portion of your free period will be forfeited at time of purchase.
Your subscription will auto-renew unless you turn this off 24-hours before the subscription runs out. You can turn off auto-renewal at any time from your iTunes account settings.
No cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during an active subscription period.
What's New in Version 2.0.3
* Sections button is more responsive
* App checks for updates when app returns to foreground
* Improved load times
* Obituary entries are no longer cut off
Thank you for your feedback. More enhancements are on the way.
It is hard to imagine what the strategy is at Hearst Publishing. Their industry is on the ropes with dwindling subscriptions and a late attempt at joining the 21st century with this app. I am a 30 year subscriber who has struggled to maintain loyalty for the past 5 years. Hearst has finally made the decision for me with this app . . . I am done! After mostly working as expected for months I am now caught in an endless loop being treated as a new user every time I attempt to run the app. After each login I'm greeted with "congratulations start reading". When I select the first article it throws me back to the "choose a subscription". Technical support was useless - I has to told me over a week ago that they would have my issue addressed within "24 to 48 hours". Don't bother.
I first rated it a one star because the loading time was terrible and the format was awful and you couldn't find the latest news. They have gotten their act together and now it loads fast and with the introduction of the "Today's News" section it is as good as the physical paper again. It still has quirks, for example, I wanted to read about the Warriors game yesterday and could not find it under the Warriors section but had to open today's news
Such a poor working app
The old version was better than the new version, which is not saying much. Obituary section is blank every day...did people stop dying in the Bay Area? Mixes stale old stories with new stories. Given SF is in the tech center of the world, it really is sad how pathetic this app is. If you compare this to what the NY Times uses, it's night and day. We stick with it because the morning newspaper delivery service became so unreliable we were hardly ever getting a delivery. The online "Olive" version is impossible to navigate. It could be so much better. This is the death knell of the Chronicle.
- Category: News
- Updated: Jan 25, 2016
- Version: 2.0.3
- Size: 58.5 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Hearst Newspapers LLC
- © 2015 Hearst Newspapers, LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- San Francisco Chronicle for iPad$5.99
- San Francisco Chronicle for iPad$59.99