4/5 – “San Juan is one of my favorite card games and this implementation on iOS does it justice.”
3/4 – "San Juan is an excellent card game."
4/5 – "A definite must-buy for fans of card games, or those looking for a little bit of strategy on their iPhone or iPad."
4.5/5 – "It’s well worth the price of admission.”
4.5/5 – “The card game variant of big box board game Puerto Rico outshines its big brother in many respects.”
8/10 – "Well built and easy to pick up, San Juan is an intriguing game of building and trade."
Editor Picked by Best10Apps.com
The exciting card game based on the award-winning board game Puerto Rico is finally available for iPhone and iPad. Experience the Spanish colonisation once again with San Juan.
Puerto Rico is at its prime. But can the same be said of this beautiful island’s capital city? Take on the role of the governor, builder, producer, trader or councilor and bring the city wealth and prestige. Are you smart enough to build the most profitable production facilities? Can you outdo your competitors with the most important buildings? Each building, whether a palace, poorhouse, smithy or silver smelter have their advantages. Who will finally win the battle for supremacy in San Juan?
• Digital adaptation of the card game based on Puerto Rico.
• Designed by Andreas Seyfarth.
• Stand-alone game, can be played without having played Puerto Rico.
• Interactive tutorial to make San Juan easier to play.
• Full Retina support on iPhone and iPad.
• Play with up to three other players or computer opponents on one iDevice, or play online with players from all over the world via Game Center.
• Discover new tactics and ways to become the ruler of San Juan!
• No need to assemble: simply start the game to enter the colonial world! And best of all: no need to put away the game once you have finished playing.
Feel free to check out Ravensburger’s other games, including Scotland Yard, THE aMAZEing Labyrinth and Puerto Rico, along with many, many others.
Become a fan of Ravensburger Digital on Facebook and find out more about our new apps, exclusive competitions and behind the scenes information about the development of our apps:
- Bugfixes and optimizations
- We've re-enabled several missing (safety) popups (thanks for your feedback!)
We'd be very pleased about positive ratings, in case you like this app!
Ratings and Reviews
Multiplayer doesn't work, no expansion
This is the original, not the expansion, so it's missing a bunch of cards, and it's less balanced. The Guild Hall is massively overpowered here, the prefecture costs 3, the Gold Mine is more powerful, but without the Gold Smith, it's much harder to take a prospector strategy. In fact, you seem to need to take a producer oriented strategy due to the Guild Hall being so powerful. It even makes the monuments barely viable because building an Indigo Plant with the Guild hall is worth the same as a statue. Also the multiplayer is broken, which is why I installed it. The game itself is done pretty well, but the screen is small enough that you can only look at a portion at a time, so I wind up playing my own strategy much more, whereas I play mostly based on my opponents in person.
Smooth port to iPhone, decent AI
Addicted to this game! I mostly play the single player game type. The AI for San Juan is solid. The translation to the iPhone has very few frills, but it's extremely loyal to the card game version. I love the automatic scoring (really hard to do that when playing cards). If I would improve anything, it would be to make the table cards identifiable for opponents without requiring a separate view.
**Update** the iPad version of the game makes the cards on the table visible at all times.
Single player only
I play this game daily the expert mode was super easy at first but seemed to get better the more I beat it. Now I find myself losing more games to the computer when I play it on 4 player. Thus the game remains playable because of the competitive level of the computer. Too bad you have to buy it but I have for sure gotten my money’s worth!
- Ravensburger Digital GmbH
- 140.7 MB
- Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, French, German, Italian, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Ravensburger Digital GmbH
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.