Ready to take your Japanese reading and listening comprehension to the next level? Welcome to Satori Reader.
HUNDREDS OF ARTICLES
Read from a growing library of articles written by native speakers for intermediate students, organized into interesting series such as news, stories, dialogs, and more.
Tap any sentence to hear it read aloud by native voice actors (no robots!).
ADAPTIVE KANJI USAGE
Crack the chicken-and-egg problem of reading kanji with our unique presentation engine, which adjusts the Japanese text to accommodate your actual knowledge. This allows you to challenge yourself for the kanji you should know without being overwhelmed by what you don't.
Tap any word for a definition. This is more than just an automated lookup. Satori Reader shows the actual sense of each word as it's being used in the sentence. For example, the particle の has many uses: it can indicate possession; it can turn the preceding verb or phrase into a noun; it can stand in for another word; and more. We show you exactly what is happening in every instance of every word.
Gray underlines indicate longer annotations that break down tricky expressions, provide cultural background, or help you to read between the lines. Our editors work hard to anticipate what might be confusing and proactively help you to make sense of things. Good-bye, confusion. Hello, clarity!
SPACED REPETITION SYSTEM (SRS)
The built-in spaced repetition review system helps you to build your vocabulary. Create review cards instantly as you read. Each card you create takes along a snapshot of the sentence in which you encountered the word, further helping to cement it in your memory.
Still confused about something? Just ask in the comment section below each article. Knowledgeable staff are ready to help.
Satori Reader is built by a team that cares. Our goal is to bring satori (enlightenment) into your Japanese reading life. Set up a free account today, and let's get started.
▪ OPTIONS: Download the app for free and enjoy unlimited access to the first two episodes of each series (new series released regularly), as well as complete access to special series such as Closeup: Obon Society.
Get unlimited access to the entire Satori Reader library of more than 350 episodes (with new episodes released each week), including crystal-clear audio, helpful annotations, and real human feedback, for just $8.99 per month, or $89.99 per year (first month FREE).
▪ EXTRAS: Your subscription to Satori Reader comes with complimentary web access, as well as access to Satori Reader on all your smartphones and tablets.
▪ PAYMENT: Payment will be charged to your iTunes account with the confirmation of your purchase (following any trial period).
▪ AUTO-RENEWAL: Your subscription will auto-renew each month unless you cancel 24 hours before the end of the current subscription period. The auto-renewal can be turned off at any time in the Account Settings section of the App Store. If you cancel your subscription by turning off auto-renewal, you will continue to be able to access Satori Reader for the period you paid for and you will not be billed again.
▪ TERMS OF SERVICE: https://www.satorireader.com/terms
- Fixed an issue that caused reviews not to work for a subset of users.
Ratings and Reviews
From Beta to App!
I’ve been using Satori Reader since it was in its beta testing! I am so excited to now have it on my phone as an app. Each story has their own interest and level in Japanese. I love how they have put it together and applied kanji/vocabulary options to help with reading along. One of my favorite things to do is to listen to the story first, see if I can understand it. Then go through and read it part by part. Then lastly, listening to it again.
Great Learning Tool
When you finish a formal language program, it can be hard to find the next step. Satori Reader does a great job of filling that gap. Pick a story that is close to your current level, and start learning new words and phrases in meaningful context that helps you remember them, and improve your reading and listening skills all at the same time! The built in flashcard system makes it a breeze to assimilate the new vocabulary.
Fun way to build my Japanese language vocabulary
I’ve enjoyed using the articles as the catalyst for learning new vocabulary words. The flash card feature is well thought out and implemented in a way that ensures I’m spending my time on the words that need it the most. Also appreciate how responsive the developers have been to questions and feature requests.
- Brak Software, Inc.
- 41.8 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular, 12.9-inch iPad Pro, 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, 9.7-inch iPad Pro, 9.7-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad (5th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (5th generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro (2nd generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular (2nd generation), 10.5-inch iPad Pro, 10.5-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (6th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (6th generation), iPad Pro (11-inch), iPad Pro (11-inch), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation), and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- © 2015-2019 Brak Software, Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Satori Reader Monthly $8.99
- Satori Reader Annual $89.99
- Satori Reader Monthly $8.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.