By Berklee College of Music
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The Scale Variator guitar app from Berkleemusic.com, the online school of Boston's renowned Berklee College of Music, allows you to instantly create, hear, and practice interesting guitar scale patterns that typically take hours to write out by hand. This easy-to-use app cuts out the tedium and lets you concentrate on what matters most: playing!
This is not just a scale dictionary; it is a revolutionary app that will empower you to manipulate your favorite guitar scales and take your soloing lines and guitar neck knowledge to the next level. An essential tool for players of all levels. Practicing guitar has never been this much fun!
Scale variations are the foundation of any method of study to acquire more interesting improvisation ideas. They are the secret weapon, like The Modern Method For Guitar, that Berklee guitarists have been employing in their practice routines for years!
App features include:
- Scales based on time tested, Berklee methodology (both modal and parallel versions for each): Major, Minor, Minor Pentatonic, Japanese Pentatonic, Harmonic Minor, Harmonic Major, Melodic Minor, Whole Tone, Diminished
- Ability to "variate" the scale of your choosing using four variation buttons to create interesting sequences that move up through each position at a chosen scale interval
- Standard notation/TAB
- Transpose to any key
- Swipe/Tap to switch to any scale position/mode
- High fret option that will transpose scale patterns to accommodate different size fretboards (acoustic/electric, 15-24 frets)
- Option to highlight roots (modal or parallel)
- Four choices of octave displacement
- Audio playback with note highlighting
- All variations and scales can be set to ascending or descending
- Metronome with three click sounds, highly variable tempo, and ability to change accent (which also updates the notation bar lines for easier reading)
- Ability to remember the last variation that you have been practicing
- Shake iPhone to reset the scale
- A help tutorial
Take your guitar playing to new heights with Scale Variator!
What's New in Version 1.1
Updated standard notation engine, scale spellings, and UI elements.
Great tool but room for improvement
Excellent start, however a few improvements can make this app an indispensable tool. First off, add the chromatic scale for endless variations. Implement the ability to save your favorite patterns(for now I use the iPhone function that allows u to take a picture of your phones screen, not ideal). Finally, allow for the ability to choose neck position to unlock even more scale patterns. All in all I really like the app, but hope to see some of these changes implemented soon for an even greater user experience!
I got an email from Berklee about this app. I went through the 2-yearMaster Cert Guitar Performance program, so recognized that they had some good products...and some that just sold their name. If it were .99, no problem. $4.99 is too much for such limited capability. Not enough functionality. Make it right Berklee or you're moving down another notch on my list.
Could be much better.
Has lots of room for improvement but the most urgent change would be to make it a scrolling view instead of fitting the whole exercise in one screen. These notes are irritatingly small.
- Category: Music
- Updated: Jun 22, 2011
- Version: 1.1
- Size: 3.5 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Berklee College of Music
- © 2011 Berklee College of Music
Compatibility: Requires iOS 3.1.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.