By Logan Collins
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Schoolhouse is a powerful Mac academic management app for students. It makes it easy to manage your homework, grades, schedule and the rest of your school life.
★ Best Student-created Mac App, 2010 Ars Design Awards
Use Schoolhouse to:
• Build lists of your homework, exams and tasks
• Keep tabs on assignment scores and overall course grades
• Manage sets of files for a project and access them easily
• Visualize your course schedule and never be late
• Calendar: See your tasks by week and month for a fast look into your work
• Class Schedule: View your classes, mark cancellations and plan accordingly
• Grading: Calculated course grades keep you on top of your classes
• Smart Notebooks: Organize your tasks by smart criteria as easily as music in iTunes
• Appearance Rules: Change the color and style of tasks using smart criteria
• Websites: Quick access to course and institution websites
• Files: Attach documents and media files to your tasks for quick access
• Dock Badge: Heads up on how many tasks you need to work on
• Quick Entry: Use a shortcut key to pop up a new task panel from within any application
• iCloud Sync: Automatically keep your library in sync between multiple Macs.
What's New in Version 3.3
Multiple Macs can now be synced via iCloud.
Various bug fixes.
I love it, but it has some issues ….
I own all the college apps for Mac and iOS. Schoolhouse is my favorite. Its simple to use, and puts everything in one view, or I can break it down by class, semester, etc. It is also the only app that can calculate grades accurately, including both extra credit and work not counted (none of the others can handle Extra Credit).
However, it is missing the ability to list locations (my school is split up into 5 campuses that are miles apart), and instructor information (it'd be nice to be able to email an instructor from the app, or at least look up their phone number or office location).
Most annoyingly though, the iCloud sync doesn't work at all. I emailed the developer, and weeks later got a reply, which didn't resolve the issue. I've emailed back 5 times now over two months, but not a word in response. iCloud sync isn't really a deal breaker for me, but for an app that hasn't been updated in 7 months, I worry about how long I'll be waiting for improvements, or even a bug fix. Its a shame to see this excellent software being ignored, as it really is the one with the most potential.
I've recently started using Schoolhouse in conjunction with my iPhone calendar -- the one on my phone is for work hours, appointments, and events only. I deselected every calendar from Schoolhouse's preferences and created individual "courses" for all of my college classes. I'm sorry I wasn't using this app all along! It's a great way to jot down all of my syllabi assignments and have them easily accessible. I don't designate importance level or priority for anything, I just leave the program in "Tasks" view and see the calendar as a whole (like an assignment sheet). I also like that you can see your completed, crossed-off assignments (which fade to a dull grey) - very satisfying!!
-I wish there was a way to collapse the "LIBRARY" column (left) and "Task" column (right) so that you could have a simple calendar or list view
-I also wish there was a way to make the window translucent so it could sit on your desktop (like Blotter does)
-There needs to be an iPhone app to sync with!
I love this app! It really is great - I can easily manage all my homework and I would seriously recommend this to ANYONE who is in college right now (I tried to use it in highschool but unless you have a sylabus it is really difficult) but it is a GREAT college app. I would definetly recommond buying it.
I do have just one small request for improvement - if you don't exit out completely and then open it again - it doesn't update the dock badge - which is just a smalll smalll issue. It would be really great if you could put in a refresh button of somesort, or have it refresh every day.
I personally only use it for homework - becuase the calendar part is a little redundant with ical - I wish I could be synced with iCal that would make it a 10 star app.
If you looking for a good online agenda,
A great way to manage all your class homework, and
a customizable interface………… BUY SCHOOLHOUSE TODAY :)
Have fun shopping :)