By Logan Collins
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Schoolhouse is a powerful Mac academic management app for students. It makes it easy to manage your homework, grades, schedule and the rest of your school life.
— Best Student-created Mac App, 2010 Ars Design Awards —
Use Schoolhouse to:
• Build lists of your homework, exams and tasks
• Keep tabs on assignment scores and overall course grades
• Manage sets of files for a project and access them easily
• Visualize your course schedule and never be late
• Calendar: See your tasks by week and month for a fast look into your work
• Class Schedule: View your classes, mark cancellations and plan accordingly
• Grading: Calculated course grades keep you on top of your classes
• Smart Notebooks: Organize your tasks by smart criteria as easily as music in iTunes
• Appearance Rules: Change the color and style of tasks using smart criteria
• Websites: Quick access to course and institution websites
• Files: Attach documents and media files to your tasks for quick access
• Dock Badge: Heads up on how many tasks you need to work on
• Quick Entry: Use a shortcut key to pop up a new task panel from within any application
• iCloud Sync: Automatically keep your library in sync between multiple Macs.
What's New in Version 3.3
Multiple Macs can now be synced via iCloud.
Various bug fixes.
I love it, but it has some issues ….
I own all the college apps for Mac and iOS. Schoolhouse is my favorite. Its simple to use, and puts everything in one view, or I can break it down by class, semester, etc. It is also the only app that can calculate grades accurately, including both extra credit and work not counted (none of the others can handle Extra Credit).
However, it is missing the ability to list locations (my school is split up into 5 campuses that are miles apart), and instructor information (it'd be nice to be able to email an instructor from the app, or at least look up their phone number or office location).
Most annoyingly though, the iCloud sync doesn't work at all. I emailed the developer, and weeks later got a reply, which didn't resolve the issue. I've emailed back 5 times now over two months, but not a word in response. iCloud sync isn't really a deal breaker for me, but for an app that hasn't been updated in 7 months, I worry about how long I'll be waiting for improvements, or even a bug fix. Its a shame to see this excellent software being ignored, as it really is the one with the most potential.
Overall a fantastic app
This is a really great buy and I wouldn't hesitate to download it, it's visually appealing, simple (once you figure it out) to use, and is going to make keeping track of grades and projects way easier. A few things that it's missing from the UI that would make it vastly improved are: a) An option to only view from certain hours of the day in the weekly calendar view so that I'm not opening my calendar to midnight every time, which is slightly annoying; b) A daily calendar view, and c) Multi-gesture support (specifically to enable the ability to swipe left and right to view different calendar weeks, as is supported by the native iCal app in Lion.)
Overall a really great app, nicely laid out, simple to use, with just enough features that it's helpful but not overwhelming. I would definitely recommend. :)
Best thing I've ever bought for school!
This app is the most helpful resource that I've ever purchased for my education. It lets me keep track of not only all of my assignments (either by individual class or all classes together, and then in either list mode or calendar mode) but it also tracks my grades. It's super-helpful when it comes to knowing which assignments are most pressing as it allows me to set the priority for each one. That, in conjunction with the calendar mode, is the best part of this app because it helps me manage my time with respect to the urgency of each assignment at any given moment. The only thing I could possibly ask for is a matching iOS app.