Science Journal is the free digital science notebook brought to you by Google.
Whether you're a science educator or a hobbyist doing science at home, you can keep your notes, photos, and observations all in one convenient place. Use the sensors in your iPhone or iPad to measure and graph phenomena such as light, sound, and motion, or connect to external sensors via bluetooth to conduct experiments on the world around you.
With the Science Journal app, you can:
• Measure light, sound, acceleration, air pressure, and more using your device’s built-in sensors.
• Take notes and photos to document your science experiments. More note types coming soon!
• Connect to external sensors using select Bluetooth-enabled Arduino devices.
• Create automated triggers for recording data and taking notes.
• Use sonification to hear the movement of your graphs.
• Bluetooth: needed to scan for bluetooth sensor devices.
• Camera: needed to take pictures to document experiments and for the brightness sensor.
• Photo Library: needed to store pictures taken to document experiments and for adding existing photos from your library to experiments.
• Microphone: needed for sound intensity sensor.
• Push notifications: needed to inform you of recording status when backgrounding the app.
Educational activities by our partners:
For support: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/sciencejournal
New features and improvements:
• Sign in to your Google account to save and access your experiments across your devices using your Google Drive account. This feature will be available to all users in the coming weeks. Science Journal can still be used without signing in.
Ratings and Reviews
Useless. CAN’T PRINT OR EXPORT.
This app was, at first, seemingly great...it recorded data, created useful graphs, took photos, had notes/descriptions and was generally very useful during my son’s science fair experiment. Until we went to create his poster. We realized that all that information ...all the previous weeks of work was completely inaccessible.
We needed a tri-fold poster visual for the fair (as all elementary fairs require) and couldn’t print anything from the app. All his work was stuck on the app on my phone. Nothing could be exported. The “Share” function did not work on any photos or notes and broke down graphs into long lists of numbers he couldn’t use. After a very frustrating evening trying, without success, to get all his work somewhere, anywhere else we could print his graphs and photos, we ended up taking screenshots of everything. Which then required creative cropping to work on his poster.
This “convenient” app became completely useless. I would say, even a giant waste of time. It makes no sense at all to not be able to use the data gathered in a real-world application (i.e. a science fair display). This Google App does not even allow you to share or save your Experiments to your Google Drive account.
This app had the right idea but missed a vital step - being able to share with others what you discover.
Google doing what Google does best... Experienting
I tried this app when it first launched and forgot about it and just came back to it and was very impressed with the new features. Like most google apps you just have to give em time to mature into what they’re going to be... I think its a useful app now. I’m not going to use it every day or Anything but I’m sure Google will either refine it more
Great concept fall short to the poor implementation
This is a great concept, but why all my teammates can export the data with the share function except my phone 6s? I could not find the share icon in the more option, and I have the updated iOS system. Google, please fix this problem
- Google LLC
- 78 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Arabic, Bosnian, Bulgarian, Catalan, Chinese, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Filipino, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Lingala, Lithuanian, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Swiss German, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Google Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.