Scope Nights: Astronomy Weather & Dark Sky Map
By Martin Dodd
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Find clear dark skies & go stargazing with Scope Nights award winning worldwide astronomy forecasts & detailed global dark sky light pollution map. Universal app for iPhone & iPad. Sky & Telescope Magazine Hot Product 2013. No adverts or subscriptions, all features now freely available within the app.
If you’re a budding stargazer, an astronomer or even an astrophotographer, sometimes you don’t have time to analyse conventional weather forecasts, you just want to know when to plan your stargazing trip or set up your telescope. Scope Nights analyses night time weather forecast data for you and shows exactly when and where to go for the darkest and clearest skies, as well as offering customisable stargazing ratings, weather alerts and a detailed light pollution map showing dark sky sites and observatories. Finding clear dark skies and discovering what’s out there has never been easier.
PLAN YOUR OBSERVING WITH CUSTOM STARGAZING RATINGS
● View at a glance which nights will be good for astronomy using smart weather analysis with clear stargazing ratings and animated weather icons to quickly see if it’s worth preparing your telescope or planning a stargazing trip
● Create custom stargazing ratings using observing thresholds for moon phase, wind, humidity and temperature and choose night, evening or morning coverage to suit when you observe
● View at a glance which of your favourite Scope Sites will have the best stargazing conditions for the upcoming night
FIND DARK SKY SITES & OBSERVATORIES
● Find nearby dark sky sites with the clearest skies using detailed light pollution map derived from the latest NASA satellite data
● Searchable lists and map of certified dark sky places and major astronomical observatories
DETAILED ASTRONOMY FORECASTS
● Long range astronomy forecasts for up to 10 locations worldwide and up to 10 nights ahead
● Local 3-hourly forecasts for UK & USA updated hourly using the best forecast data available direct from the UK Met Office and the US National Weather Service
CUSTOM STARGAZING NOTIFICATIONS
● Receive accurate notifications of good or fair stargazing ratings based on your custom stargazing thresholds, well before sunset so you can prepare for your observing session
● App badge showing the number of sites with good stargazing for the upcoming night
SHARE WITH FRIENDS
● Share your astronomy forecasts with fellow astronomers via email, social media or print them out for your observatory
ASTRONOMY FORECAST DETAILS & THRESHOLDS
● Night time specific forecasts from sunset to sunrise
● Forecast coverage to suit when you observe: All Night, Evening or Morning
● Colour coded weather details based on observing thresholds:
- Moon Phase
- Cloud cover
- Precipitation probability
- Relative humidity
- Minimum temperature in Celsius or Fahrenheit
- Wind direction
- Wind speed & gusts in Mph, Knots, Kph or Mps
● Sunrise & sunset times
● Wind speed gust sensitivity switch for those with large telescopes or in exposed locations
● Requires a device with iOS 10.2 or later
● Requires Internet access over a Wi-Fi or cellular data connection
● Requires Location Services be enabled to automatically find local astronomy forecast
● Requires Background Services be enabled to get stargazing notifications
What's New in Version 2.4
Scope Nights 2.4 is a free update with iOS10 support, new features, performance improvements and bug fixes. I have taken on board your feedback and removed the upgrades. All features are now accessible with the initial purchase of the app.
NEW - More stargazing forecasts… You can now save & compare up to 10 sites.
NEW - Scope Nights now uses background fetching of weather forecast data giving more accurate and up to date stargazing notifications.
NEW - App Badge showing the number of sites with good stargazing for the upcoming night.
NEW - Improved sharing. You can now share your Scope Nights forecasts via Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Mail, Messages & Notes. Or save, copy & print stargazing forecasts to share anywhere.
If you find Scope Nights useful, please leave a good rating in the App Store as it helps me to keep developing the app.
I have had this app for a few years and seen it improve gradually to the point that I find myself using it regularly along with myCSC to plan my observing sessions. I really like how easy it is to get observing forecasts for different locations with important details and a much longer forecast than one gets with myCSC.
My new Clear Sky bible
So happy to find this app since Clear Sky Clock disappeared for lack of iOS 6+ compatibility. Not always 100% but when is the weather report ever 100%? Very useful when combined with other weather data. (Look out the window, will ya?)
Best astronomy weather app
I use this app everyday in planning for astrophotography. One feature id like to see would be a rise/set time for the moon based on geo-location. I know you can set a threshold for Moon percentage, but it would be handy for astrophotography. Maybe just make it a widget.
- Category: Weather
- Updated: Dec 21, 2016
- Version: 2.4
- Size: 131 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Martin Dodd
- © Egg Moon Studio
Compatibility: Requires iOS 10.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- United States Astronomy WeatherFree
- Dark Sky LocationsFree
- Astronomer's Weather PackFree
- United Kingdom Astronomy WeatherFree