Scope Nights: Astronomy Weather Reports
By Martin Dodd
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
• SKY & TELESCOPE HOT PRODUCT 2013 • HALF PRICE FOR LIMITED TIME • Scope Nights is the first award winning astronomy weather app for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, providing detailed astronomy weather for anywhere in the world. Scope Nights differs from many astronomy apps as it specialises in astronomy weather and concentrates on being a practical observing planning aid. Scope nights also differs from many weather apps as it uses a unique combination of national and global night-time weather forecasts to compile detailed stargazing ratings up to 10 nights ahead. It also provides detailed forecasts and advanced settings so stargazing ratings can be tailored to meet the observing requirements of the most dedicated astronomer, with more advanced features and more national forecasts to be added in future updates.
SKY & TELESCOPE MAGAZINE - "There's no shortage of weather-related apps for the iPhone, but there's only one specifically made for amateur astronomers… Our resident weather maven, who uses more than half a dozen apps and websites to prepare predictions, gives Scope Nights two thumbs up for it's consistent accuracy."
ASTRONOMY NOW MAGAZINE - "Launch those fireworks! Blast that klaxon! How many of us have laboriously prepared our observing equipment under a clear ceiling, only to have it blotted out by a wall of cloud seconds after we are ready? Or, waited forlornly with undue optimism under leaden heavens for signs of a crack in the sky? At last, here is the help we need..."
STARGAZING WEATHER RATINGS
● Shows at a glance which nights will be most suitable for stargazing using advanced smart weather analysis and nightly detail summaries to make it easy to pick the best nights
● Receive clear period notifications before sunset so you can prepare your telescope
● Let other people see your custom forecasts and share your astronomy weather reports via Twitter
LOCAL AND GLOBAL WEATHER DATA
● 5 to 7 night local astronomy weather reports updated hourly using weather data provided by NOAA National Weather Service for the United States and Met Office for the United Kingdom.
● 10 night global stargazing weather forecasts derived from the European numerical forecast model, renowned worldwide as providing the most accurate medium-range global weather forecasts
ADVANCED SMART WEATHER ANALYSIS
● Filters weather data only showing forecasts from sunset to sunrise
● Analyses weather, cloud cover, wind, humidity, temperature, moon phase and creates stargazing ratings using weighted algorithms
● Threshold adjustments for moon phase, wind, temperature and humidity to suit your observing requirements
● Wind speed gust sensitivity switch for those with large telescopes or in exposed locations
HIGHLY DETAILED NIGHT-TIME FORECASTS
● 3 hourly and 6 hourly forecast details
● Sunrise and sunset times
● Moon phases
● Colour coded details for:
- Moon phase
- Cloud cover
- Precipitation Probability
- Minimum temperature in celsius or fahrenheit
- Wind speed and direction in mph, knots, kph or mps
● Automatically finds stargazing weather forecasts for your current location
● Find stargazing forecasts for any location worldwide
● List of international dark sky locations
● Requires a device with iOS 7.0 or later
● Requires Internet access over a Wi-Fi or cellular data connection for downloading weather data
● Requires Location Services be enabled to automatically find current location
What's New in Version 2.0
• NEW - Full iOS7 compatibility with new look & feel
• NEW - Improved forecasts using cloud cover and precipitation probability
• NEW - Moon phase threshold slider
• NEW - Wind speed gust sensitivity switch
• NEW - List of IDA international dark sky parks
• NEW - Clear period notifications
• FIX - Bug fixes & improvements
Please Note, if updating from a previous version… In order to fund further development some existing features are now included as part of paid upgrades, but they also include many new features as listed above within the free update to version 2.0. Without adding a small charge for the more advanced features I could not afford to develop the app any further.
Bad Data - unreliable
I don't know what weather service provider is being used by this app, but it is almost always incorrect. I even upgraded to all the bells and whistles in the app.
Every weather service I can find is showing clear skies for tonight at "The Plains, VA", yet ScopeNights is showing mostly cloudy and poor conditions. There isn't a cloud in the sky and likely won't be tonight. Same thing last night and conditions were actually excellent although ScopeNights showed the opposite.
The app is useless if the underlying data is bad..... I am starting to see a trend with bad forecasts. I almost did not attend the Cherry Springs Star Party this year based on ScopeNights. Thank god I did my own research and the other weather services showed good conditions. ScopeNights showed poor to fair, even a couple of hours before dark each day and the other weather services all showed clear skies and good conditions. It turned out to be some the best weather ever seen at CSSP.
I use this application as my main source for planning
I'm historic user of the clear sky chart now I've decided to use this application as my main way to plan my observing site sessions in the Santa Cruz mountains in California. I found this application to be very reliable and the new improvements this month to be significant enhancements. I would like to see an enhancement for "seeing". That would be a great upgrade but other than that this application is really working great for me now.
Had Gone Downhill And Become Insanely Mercenary
Update has a lot of features removed. Exorbitant in-app-purchases appeared with ZERO description what they actually do.
Settings are messed up and dont even work now. AVOID like the plague. Update was obviously just slung out with a bunch of puffery about Sky and Scope to make some fast cash, but forgetting about the customer review/comments. This kind of unethical developer is what gives the App Store a bad name. Very Lousy.
Very disappointed. Get the Dark Sky app. While it does not indicate weather, it is great for seeing ambient light and light pollution for observations in exact locations!
- Category: Weather
- Updated: Dec 26, 2013
- Version: 2.0
- Size: 23.4 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Martin Dodd
- © 2013 Egg Moon Studio
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Top In-App Purchases
- Astronomer's Weather Pack$2.99
- United States Astronomy Weather$2.99
- United Kingdom Astronomy Weather$2.99