By Literature & Latte
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Typewriter. Corkboard. Scrapbook. Scrivener combines all the writing tools you need to craft your first draft, from nascent notion to final full stop.
“The biggest software advance for writers since the word processor.”
- Best-selling novelist Michael Marshall Smith
GROW YOUR MANUSCRIPT YOUR WAY
Tailor-made for creating long manuscripts, Scrivener lets you break up your writing into sections as small or large as you like. At its heart is a simple ring-binder metaphor—gather material and switch between writing, notes and research with ease. Got a great idea but don’t know where it fits? Compose your text in any order you want—write when inspiration strikes and find its place later.
SEE THE FOREST *OR* THE TREES
Whether you plan or plunge, Scrivener works your way: hammer out every last detail before typing a word, or carve out a draft and restructure later. Or do a bit of both. All text sections in Scrivener are integrated with an easy-to-use project outline, so working with an overview of your manuscript is only ever a click away, and turning Chapter Four into Chapter One is as simple as drag and drop.
RESEARCH WITHIN REACH
Need to refer to research? In Scrivener, your background material is always at hand, and you can open it right alongside what you’re working on. Write a description based on a photograph. Transcribe an interview. Or check for consistency against an earlier chapter.
GETTING IT OUT THERE
Once you’re ready to share your work with the world, turn your manuscript into a beautiful ebook or PDF, export to Word, or simply print it out. You can even share using different formatting, so that you can write in your favorite font and still keep your editor happy.
Scrivener’s users include best-selling novelists, screenwriters, students, academics, lawyers, journalists and translators. It won’t tell you how to write—it just provides everything you need to start writing and keep writing.
• Project templates for novels, scripts, essays and more
• Import many different types of file
• Easily split imported text into separate sections
• Familiar writing and formatting tools
• Easily switch between working on small sections, chapters and the whole manuscript
• Styles support
• Distraction-free full-screen mode
• Scriptwriting mode for screenplays, stage plays, comic scripts and more
• Live word count
• Mark up text with comments
• Footnote support
• Keep “snapshots” of older versions of your writing
• Name generator
• MathType support
• Set writing targets
• Track your writing history
• Automatic backups
Find Your Structure
• Write in any order and reorganize later
• Assign a synopsis to any section, then work with an overview of your manuscript in the outliner
• Plot your ideas using the corkboard
• Track different threads using labels
• Fast project-wide search
• Apply custom icons to your sections
• Use document templates for new sections (e.g. character sheets in novels)
Refer to Research
• Import research—images, web pages, PDF files and more
• View research files or other sections alongside your writing
• Transcribe audio files
Get it Out There
• Compile to a single document for sharing or printing
• Export to Word
• Print or create PDF files
• Create Epub and Kindle files
• Export to Final Draft
• Supports MultiMarkdown and LaTeX export
• Convert rich text to Markdown
• Sync with our iOS version (available separately)
Introduction and Tutorial Videos:
We have a whole heap of testimonials from published authors—see our testimonials page at http://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivener/testimonials to read what they have to say.
Program still GREAT, but issues with DB sync prevail.
I have used Scrivener for several years now. All my work is in Scrivener and I will continue to use in the future.
For having to pay, basically having to buy the program again, there didn’t seem to be any feature improvements warranting the fee, I just assumed the work was in the background and I would benefit in other ways once I started using the program. Much to my disappointment, I have yet to see any of the “new”, “improved” benefits. On the contrary, I now have a very frustrating and quirky sync problem with DropBox, where the program is unable to display a file downloaded from DB until you click on the desktop (to go back to Finder) and then click back on the Scrivener icon.
To be clear, all other functionality seems to work as normal, and none of my data was corrupted or damaged. It’s just frustrating to have to go through that back and forth exercise on my Mac.
I have reached out to L&L support, they acknowledge the issue stating “a few of our users are expereincing…” but I suspect more than just a few. This same issue is all over their message board as well.
BUT, THAT BEING SAID, Scrivener is still a great program and I will continue to use it. Once they get this quirk fixed, all will be well.
Great, like Scrivner 2 was, but has some issues converting Scrivner 2 files...
This app, like its predecessor, is truly the best of its kind. A Great app for those that want their notes, research, rough drafts, final drafts…in the same project all right there in front of them. The only complaint I have is that when importing Scrivner 2 projects it was a disaster. It was a disaster on my Mac, my iPad, my iPhone, and Dropbox. Once i finally sorted it all out I had lost two projects and precious time. For a group that can build this amazing app, surely you can make the whole syncing process and the import and conversion of Scrivner 2 projects a smoother process. It would also be great to sync with iCloud.
I am upgrading my initial very bad review
I am still not happy that I seem to be running into so many glitches as I upgrade (at full price) from Scrivener 2 to 3. However, I was at least able to log into Scrivener Support, which was my main frustration. I will be spending more hours than I want to on their site trying to figure out what has gone wrong, but at least I feel that I have help. I do not want my review to discourage anyone from buying Scrivener. It is a marvelous tool and Scrivener 3 is much better in many ways than Scrivener 2. If you need/want simplicity, you probably need to look elsewhere. If you want incredible adaptabilty and one-place-for-everything convenience, then this is your app.
- Category: Productivity
- Released: Nov 27, 2017
- Version: 3.0
- Size: 104 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish
- Seller: Literature & Latte Ltd
- © Literature & Latte Ltd
Compatibility: macOS 10.12 or later, 64-bit processor