By Literature & Latte
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
**** SHORT-TERM SALE! ****
**** We’ve discounted Scrivener by $20 to celebrate Thanksgiving, Black Friday and Cyber Monday! ****
"The biggest software advance for writers since the word processor."
- Best-selling novelist Michael Marshall Smith
Scrivener is a powerful content-generation tool for writers designed for composing and structuring long and difficult documents. While it gives you complete control of the formatting, its focus is on getting you to the end of that awkward first draft.
Compose your text in any order and in pieces as large or small as you like. View the components of your draft individually or as a whole. Import and refer to research files such as images and PDFs alongside your writing.
Whether you prefer to outline first, hammer out your first draft and restructure later, or do a bit of both, Scrivener's corkboard and outliner tools are completely integrated with the text, so working with an overview of your draft is just a click away.
Scrivener's users include best-selling novelists, screenwriters, students, academics, lawyers, journalists and translators. It won't presume to tell you how to write - it just provides an array of flexible tools that allow you to do things your way, no matter what kind of writing you do.
- Project templates for novels, scripts, APA and MLA essays and more (or create your own)
- Interactive tutorial project
- Import common text files such as .rtf, .doc, .docx, .fdx, .txt, .opml and .odt
- Break up imported texts using the "Split at Selection" or "Import and Split" features
- Create and access your work in any order using the "binder" source list
- "Scrivenings" mode temporarily combines disparate documents into a single text for viewing and editing
- Full-screen mode
- Scriptwriting mode for screenplays, stage plays, comic scripts and more
- Familiar text formatting tools
- Live word and character counts
- Mark up your text with comments
- Make notes in the sidebar which become footnotes or endnotes upon print or export
- "Snapshots" allow you to store earlier versions of texts and revert to them at any time
- Name generator
- MathType support
- Set goals using project and document targets
- Automatic backups
- Associate a synopsis with any document in your project
- A virtual corkboard lets you rearrange documents using their associated synopses
- A fully-featured outliner provides complete control over a project's structure
- Project-wide search
- Track ideas using labels and keywords
- Import research such as image, .pdf and media files
- Import web pages
- View research files (or other text documents) alongside your writing
- Transcribe audio files
Getting It Out There
- Compile your manuscript for submission or self-publishing
- Export to popular formats such as .doc, .rtf and plain text
- Print or generate PDF files
- Export .epub or Kindle files
- Export to Final Draft .fdx format
- Supports MultiMarkdown for LaTeX export
- Sync text files with popular iPhone and iPad apps via Dropbox or Simplenote
For more information, please watch the videos on our website.
TESTIMONIALS AND AWARDS
We have a whole heap of testimonials from published authors - see our testimonials page at http://www.literatureandlatte.com/testimonials.php to read what they have to say about Scrivener.
Scrivener 2.0 was awarded a Macworld 2010 Eddy (as was Scrivener 1.0 in 2007) and has received five-star reviews from MacUser and MacFormat.
If you have any questions or feedback, you can contact us by email on email@example.com, via our support forum at http://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum or on Twitter @scrivenerapp.
What's New in Version 2.7.1
• El Capitan-ready: minor updates and fixes for 10.11 compatibility.
• Icons and UI updated for a more modern look consistent with El Capitan and Yosemite.
• Note - please visit our following support page if you experience crashes on El Capitan: https://scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb/mac-os-x-troubleshooting/scrivener-crashes-after-upgrading-to-el-capitan-os-x-1011
• File format updated for compatibility with future mobile versions. Upon opening existing projects, you will be prompted to update them. (Please note that you will not be able to open 2.7 projects in earlier versions of Scrivener.)
• The tutorial project has been updated, and now includes a new "Quick Start" collection.
• Scrivener now uses Courier Prime as its default screenplay font. For existing screenplay projects, you can change back to your old font via the Script Settings panel (in the Format > Scriptwriting menu).
• Updated the built-in MultiMarkdown components to version 4.
• Epub files now have the "of:file-as" and "opf:event" attributes added to the creator and date elements, so that they will pass Lulu B&N validation.
• You can now insert .svg images files into MultiMarkdown by internally linking to an .svg image document.
• Many other bug fixes - for the full list, please see http://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivChangeList.php.
Crashes constantly with new update
Not sure what changed, but the latest version crashes constantly and creates more headaches than ideas. I conduct experiments and write scientific papers for a living— the layout of Scrivener is amazing for organization, writing, editing, etc., and pairs well with citation software (e.g. Papers3). But all of that went away with this update. Prior to this new version, I would definitely give Scrivener five stars. However, I cannot justify such a high rating when the stability of the program detracts from its functionality. I have this software installed on several Mac products: a 2009 MBP, a 2014 MBP, and a 2012 Mac Mini. Scrivener crashes regularly on all of these devices. I save my files directly to iCloud to keep my devices synced. I thought this may be the problem; however, I also saved to iCloud prior to updating to the latest version and did not have this problem. I started saving my files locally, but the program still crashed. I do not know what is causing this.
I’ve noted some patterns when Scrivener crashes. It often crashes when I click the “add” tab to start a new page or create a new folder. It also crashes periodically when I attempt to use split screen with one window used for writing and the other used to view a .pdf.
I hate to write such a negative review for such a stellar product, but my experience with this software has become sour with the latest update.
update: uninstalling and reinstalling has fixed this problem.
Why did you change?
Okay, I’m fine with updating to keep everything working, but you’re color scheme with this update is counter productive to me. Is there some way to change this? Before, there was more contrast between some of the windows, the document notes in yellow and the cork board background to the index cards. This helped my eyes to focus on the window I wanted. Now with everything white and slighly off white, I can’t separete all the information on the screen and focus on what I want to focus on. I love your product, but this is a step backward, another hurdle to overcome while I’m still trying to learn everything about how to use the software.
I have tried it all, Final Draft, Ulysses, Pages… Nothing, absolutely nothing compares to Scrivener’s power, organization, and options to make this your writing app for everything. It is lovingly updated and cared for, and there is the strong change of an iPad version being released soon! (If this recent update is any news to that.) So buy it, spend the extra time to learn it, and customize it to your liking. You will not regret it, guarunteed.